Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    cyanogen-man's Avatar

    Posts
    1,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

    Default Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    It seems internationally and here at home (USA) there are differ ant carriers that want the same phone but in differant form factors which OK I can distinguish this phone from that one but its a differ ant name differant slightly modified hard ware different price points but with the gs3 we see the only differance is the carrier and chip set (tegra3 or the snap dragon) other than that everything is the same if apple can get away with it with all the iPhones designs identical to its generation why not other poems? It drives up cost and design messes with quality I mite be over simplifying but when will the madness end?? What are your thoughts? I'm interested like the one x for example almost the same as the evo 4g late slightly differant hardware way differ ant shells I just want a once a year integration of flag ship mid and low to keep up with specs am I a dreamer or an oversimplified jerk off??

    INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by cyanogen-man View Post
    It seems internationally and here at home (USA) there are differ ant carriers that want the same phone but in differant form factors which OK I can distinguish this phone from that one but its a differ ant name differant slightly modified hard ware different price points but with the gs3 we see the only differance is the carrier and chip set (tegra3 or the snap dragon) other than that everything is the same if apple can get away with it with all the iPhones designs identical to its generation why not other poems? It drives up cost and design messes with quality I mite be over simplifying but when will the madness end?? What are your thoughts? I'm interested like the one x for example almost the same as the evo 4g late slightly differant hardware way differ ant shells I just want a once a year integration of flag ship mid and low to keep up with specs am I a dreamer or an oversimplified jerk off??

    INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
    I agree we need no carrier controls. The manufacture should control it and push updates. Either it well work on the Cartier our it won't

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Slender Troll likes this.
  3. #3  
    ZachA's Avatar

    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    305 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    I think the manufacturers should build the phone how they want not have the carriers decide how they want it. Also the updates should be pushed once they are complete not have them sent to the carrier's so they can add bloatware and take there time of when to release it.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  4. #4  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,507 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Well since carriers buy the phones from manufacturers to sell to us, before they sell them they can do whatever they want to the phone before they sell them to us.

    But I agree carriers should not be allowed to interfere with a manufacturers os/phone design, their stupid useless bloatware that can't be uninstalled without rooting your phone is highly frustrating. Verizon and att are big violators to this.

    The possible inclusion of a root detector in the boot loader that Verizon forced on Motorola phones isn't very fair, while I don't think it's ethical to return a rooted bricked phone in exchange for another (at least not repeatedly) Verizon and other carriers have absolutely no right strong arming manufacturers. It's bad enough certain app developers have resorted to including root detection coding in their apps.

    People should know and accept the responsibilities before rooting their phones or modifying the software.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    cyanogen-man's Avatar

    Posts
    1,048 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    ah man brother research is everything this is my second phone rooted been with android since 1.6 donut 2 years ago on the experia x10 and gonna reaplace this one in January both rooted and love it I even soft bricked it twice during the root got it back (thanks to boot recovery) and yea it wasn't the root kit it was a messed up data cable that lost connection during the script but eh what you gonna do when your hell bent on rooting

    INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
  6. #6  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,098 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    It's bad enough certain app developers have resorted to including root detection coding in their apps.
    Not sure why it's bad that certain app developers check for a level of security when coding their apps. They have every right to protect their content. And if rooting causes someone else's app not to work:

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    People should know and accept the responsibilities before rooting their phones or modifying the software.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  7. #7  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    its evil. +1 to samsung for keepin the s3 (on the outside) the same globaly

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  8. #8  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,098 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    its evil. +1 to samsung for keepin the s3 (on the outside) the same globaly

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    Only Samsung and Apple have that kind of pull right now.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    It's good for marketing, it generally not good for users (but most don't care or have no idea), for them they get product not matching the original phone (it's sometimes good sometiems bad) and makes update process longer. In Europe (atleast here in Poland, but e got T-Mobile and Orange) our carriers don't interfere with hardware (thank god!), there was only Era G1 (Era later on been taken over by T-Mobile) which is T-Mobile G1 the first commercial Android phone, but as i remember this phone was only sold that way.

    Apple would never allowed to do that to iPhone, they got mentality of electonics virgin (thru they not virgin anymore, remember HP iPods? ), which is good thing, sicne oyu get the same whatever distribution you use.
  10. #10  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Only Samsung and Apple have that kind of pull right now.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    its a start though and in the UK for example its very rare to have carrier specific phones and its usualy just a re-name and bit of bloatware, no physical changes.
    hope it continues... US carriers seem to have far too much power, make too much profit and rip off their customers.
    i use a pre-pay sim for cheap unlimited data etc and when a better deal comes along, ill just swap sims and transfer my number. more north americans should be doing this to take the power away from these carriers (honestly dont wana sound patronising... just want my transatlantic cousins to think differently)

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll and blaze5 like this.
  11. #11  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,098 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    its a start though and in the UK for example its very rare to have carrier specific phones and its usualy just a re-name and bit of bloatware, no physical changes.
    hope it continues... US carriers seem to have far too much power, make too much profit and rip off their customers.
    i use a pre-pay sim for cheap unlimited data etc and when a better deal comes along, ill just swap sims and transfer my number. more north americans should be doing this to take the power away from these carriers (honestly dont wana sound patronising... just want my transatlantic cousins to think differently)

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    I'm curious. Are there any laws or rules and regulations in the UK and EU that limit carrier interference when it comes to bloatware?
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  12. #12  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,675 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    dont think so mate. i got my s3 unbranded but phones (even on pre-pay sims) are sold slightly cheaper if theyre locked to that carrier and branded with their badge and bloatware (in UK anyway)

    global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess
    GT-I9300, UK
  13. #13  
    KitN's Avatar

    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    534 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Evil!

    Carriers need to stick to providing service and stay the hell out of the cellphone business. They should only be selling SERVICE not mucking up cellphones!

    All phones should be running on universal GSM networks so that anyone can buy any GSM phone and use it on any carrier.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  14. #14  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,098 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    Evil!

    Carriers need to stick to providing service and stay the hell out of the cellphone business. They should only be selling SERVICE not mucking up cellphones!

    All phones should be running on universal GSM networks so that anyone can buy any GSM phone and use it on any carrier.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Curious, what cell phone do you use?

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    You would think that manufacturers would make more money by making the same phone across all carriers rather than doing exclusives. The gs3 and even the galaxy nexus seem like the right direction. I would Imagine the accessories industry would benefit as well. As for all the other phones, there must be some big incentive to do things the way they are even if it doesn't make sense.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
    Slender Troll likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by KitN View Post
    Evil!

    Carriers need to stick to providing service and stay the hell out of the cellphone business. They should only be selling SERVICE not mucking up cellphones!

    All phones should be running on universal GSM networks so that anyone can buy any GSM phone and use it on any carrier.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GSM used everywhere else, CDMA is anomaly in US maybe you would find it some other countries, but majority of the world use GSM.

    But phone market is not so worse as digital cable TV service market (atleast in europe), service provides used less avabilty of hardware at begining to lock people in there boxes. DVB-T is open with hardware... now most TV has it that are in sale DVB-S is like DSL internet providers, they may push you locked box but you can sue your own hardware if you which, some even provide DVB-IC cards (since there few encryption types that decoder does not support by default, DVB-IC is PCMCIA card that extence digital tuner that deals with it)... but on DVB-C they give they not thinking even telling you about it, you need to use there box... hopefully this wil change then more TV with DVB-C will start to show up... CDMA by it's nature even not giving you that hope

    DVB-IC was made specially for paid TV providers to work on any digital TV tuner across all DVB standards, but only DVB-T and partly DVB-S trully use it

    Conclusion: Service Providers whatever type want you to lock you in there service in all cost.

    I personally use pre-paid, you by any phone in electronic store, you can buy it on rates if you like... it's not different from what carriers doing by selling you phone, you can buy sim card even in kiosk without any contract and you ready to go, when you charge they give you time to charge another card if you wont do that you wont abel to do calls, but you still got time to charge until you lose your number, you at leats need to charge around 15$ (50zł) once a ear to not lose the number. There also data pre-paid option for modems and more internet centric phone users (but call prices are not that bad), with data depending what prepaid you use(50zł card gives 3GB that i was not able to use in 3 months of validy, some carriers give even more). But my carrier what me to lure for contract or mix (contracted pre-paid, which is illusion you having pre-paid, but you in contract and diffrence is you just paying with pre-paids instead of using bank im not sure if there something like that in US) so badly that they even calling me for that for time to time about it, telling me "oh but we give you fancy new phone"... yeah right I know for intense phone users this option might not be optimal solution, but hey you got freedom to not sign any contracts and use any hardware as you like.... in you think about it you can hardly find such services in other markets, other then stores and pro version of free services

    Ahh as always i write to much on simple matter lol XD
    Thanked by:
    Slender Troll likes this.
  17. #17  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,098 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by timato View Post
    You would think that manufacturers would make more money by making the same phone across all carriers rather than doing exclusives. The gs3 and even the galaxy nexus seem like the right direction. I would Imagine the accessories industry would benefit as well. As for all the other phones, there must be some big incentive to do things the way they are even if it doesn't make sense.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2
    Sure.

    But, especially in the US, the customer for these manufacturers is not us. It's the carriers.



    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Sure.

    But, especially in the US, the customer for these manufacturers is not us. It's the carriers.
    Exactly, and while they are selling the phones to customers, they are also the point fo contact for any issues. It is in their favor to lock down phones so that users cant screw with them and cause problems, because those issues get dealt with by the carrier. The last thing they want is to be hearing about rooted phones not working, bricks, broken apps, etc. Unless people (In the US especially) want to go to buying phones outright, no discounts, and getting support from the OEM, you won;t see the carrier influence go away anytime soon. And that's not even accounting for things like tethering, that can be allowed via root, but not off a stock phone. (more cost for carrier)
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Sure.

    But, especially in the US, the customer for these manufacturers is not us. It's the carriers.



    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Which is wrong way of thinking, With this logic i could say that for electronics store is a customer of manufacture not us. Manufactures only makes deals with carrier but money from sells on whatever carrier goes back to them, manufacture gets customer right on the bat and carrier gets subscriber... it's a profit deal on both sides.

    no discounts
    Those are just illusion of discounts, in realty you pay back tha money with contract

    you won;t see the carrier influence go away anytime soon
    In some contries and i belive it's EU regulation, manufactures are forced to sell unlocked phones in stores, in some it's illegal to sell sim-locked phones. Considering US is very commercial centric and friandly to big corporations to fool people around, i would not expect such laws there
  20. #20  
    enik's Avatar

    Posts
    584 Posts
    Global Posts
    988 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Personally I don't mind certain interference like adding a kickstand to the photon 4g in sprints case

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g
    ___________________
    From Nexus With Love
  21. #21  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,098 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by bp3dots View Post
    Exactly, and while they are selling the phones to customers, they are also the point fo contact for any issues. It is in their favor to lock down phones so that users cant screw with them and cause problems, because those issues get dealt with by the carrier. The last thing they want is to be hearing about rooted phones not working, bricks, broken apps, etc. Unless people (In the US especially) want to go to buying phones outright, no discounts, and getting support from the OEM, you won;t see the carrier influence go away anytime soon. And that's not even accounting for things like tethering, that can be allowed via root, but not off a stock phone. (more cost for carrier)
    Agreed.

    When (normal, not us here on the forums) people have problems with their phones, they take it to their carrier store - not Samsung, not HTC, not Motorola.

    On the tethering point, as carriers moved to tiered, they've been including it in the plans.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  22. #22  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,098 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    Which is wrong way of thinking, With this logic i could say that for electronics store is a customer of manufacture not us. Manufactures only makes deals with carrier but money from sells on whatever carrier goes back to them, manufacture gets customer right on the bat and carrier gets subscriber... it's a profit deal on both sides.
    For the OEM, this model probably gives them near-guaranteed revenue. Not to mention the support is usually handled by the carrier.
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  23. #23  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,507 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Actually when any of my phones break I return them to the OEM not the carrier. I certainly don't let them con me into a warranty( besides paying for texting that's the second biggest rip off a carrier can do to someone ). Most if not all oems for mobile phones include one or two year warranty with your phone. All you have to do is have the original receipt with the date of purchase and your good to go.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  24. #24  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    9,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,098 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Actually when any of my phones break I return them to the OEM not the carrier. I certainly don't let them con me into a warranty( besides paying for texting that's the second biggest rip off a carrier can do to someone ). Most if not all oems for mobile phones include one or two year warranty with your phone. All you have to do is have the original receipt with the date of purchase and your good to go.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    I doubt that this is the norm though.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

    Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto 360 (LWX48T, Lollipop 5.0.1)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (LRX21P, Lollipop 5.0)

    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    bp3dots likes this.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Carriers interference with phone design good or evil??

    Carrier would send it to OEM anyway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HTC Evo Design 4g or stick with NS4G?
    By vincentallen2 in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-26-2011, 11:35 PM
  2. Headphones for use with phones (or other devices)
    By jwhipple in forum Other OS's and Devices
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-19-2011, 07:27 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2010, 07:47 AM
  4. Issue with phone ringtone
    By chepeliyas in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 10:29 AM
  5. Do Tasks sync with either Google Tasks or Outlook?
    By keri2000 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Posting Permissions