Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gingersnapgirl
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking for some opinions... Google Nexus 7 vs. Kindle Fire

I've recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone, and I love it, but I'm also looking into getting a 7 in android tablet.

I'm currently deciding between a Google Nexus 7 and a Kindle Fire. I know the Kindle Fire uses a highly modified version of the android OS, though, and as such, I'm leaning towards the Nexus 7.

I mainly want it for when I'm sitting in bed and don't want to pull the laptop out, or when I'm cooking and don't want to print a recipe. I may use it to occasionally watch a tv show or video, but it will mostly be for web browsing/games/apps and recipe storage/access. I won't be listening to music on it, since I'll have my phone for that. I will probably read the occasional book, but I also have a Kindle Keyboard and it works just fine, so I'm happy with that for now.

Can anyone think of a compelling reason to get the Kindle Fire over the Nexus 7, aside from the $50 price difference for the 16GB version? Also, if I go with the Nexus 7 and am not using it for music/photos, is there really a need to get the 16GB version?

Or is there another option I should be considering instead of these two?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,994 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Looking for some opinions... Google Nexus 7 vs. Kindle Fire

Nexus 7 if you're going to game at all. You also have a Kindle app if you wanted to use it.

As games become more advanced storage will be more important. That might make 16gb a good choice if you're going to keep it for a while.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I completely forgot about the Kindle app. And I imagine I can put the Amazon app store on the Nexus 7 as well, so I'll still be able to get the Amazon content. Or is this not the case?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,994 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You won't be able to stream Prime Instant Video. But yes to the app store....do they really have any exclusives anymore though?

Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I don't care about instant video. And as far as exclusives, that I don't know. But I do know that the google play store says Plants vs. Zombies is incompatible with my phone, but Amazon's app store says it is, so maybe they're quicker to get new versions? I don't know.

So I would say the Nexus 7, UNLESS you are just looking to stick with the Amazon / Kindle ecosystem and don't care much about the other things that are part of the overall Android ecosystem.

You'll have more flexibility and be more 'on your own' with a Nexus, while the Kindle will be more of a 'guided tour' kind of experience, but more limiting.

And that is not a bad thing (Amazon/Kindle). E-book reading is one of the primary tasks I use both my phone and iPad for (and the Android variant of Kindle is superior, due to limitations Apple puts on Apple apps).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I swapped my iPhone for an Android phone because of the limitations of the OS, despite how refined it looked. I like the way the Kindle Fire looks and runs, but I've come to the realization that I'll eventually get frustrated by its limitations as well. I don't mind being "on my own", in fact, I welcome it most of the time.

So the Kindle Fire has been ruled out, but is the Nexus 7 really my only other option? I'm not against it, of course, just don't want to rule out anything that might potentially be better for me. I don't really want to go larger; are there any other options in the 7 in size that are comparable?

Thanks for the help so far!

Default Looking for some opinions... Google Nexus 7 vs. Kindle Fire

Galaxy Tab 7.7 is the only other really viable option IMO (if u got $$ to burn).

Plenty of other 7" tablets, but none really compare to the Nexus / Kindle.

For what you describe, I would stick with Nexus7.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,994 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I would still stick with the Nexus 7. You really can't beat it for the price.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Nexus 7 it is then!

I'm kinda surprised there was even any hesitation in the choice. With the Nexus 7 so get the whole of the Google Play store, which includes Kindle and Nook apps for reading. The Kindle Fire has a forked version of Android and it's apps do not work on other Android devices because they do not follow the open source protocol for development.

Good luck with your Nexus 7!
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    You won't be able to stream Prime Instant Video. But yes to the app store....do they really have any exclusives anymore though?

Yeah, sometime the Amazon AppStore has a temporary exclusive on an app. Jetpack Joyride is the only things that immediately comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gingersnapgirl View Post
    I don't care about instant video. And as far as exclusives, that I don't know. But I do know that the google play store says Plants vs. Zombies is incompatible with my phone, but Amazon's app store says it is, so maybe they're quicker to get new versions? I don't know.
    Actually, I find the Google Play store consistently gets updates faster than the Amazon Play Store. But it does seem to be true that Amazon AppStore is less likely to enforce an incompatibility. Sometime a Google Play app listing shows my (last) device as incompatible, whereas the Amazon AppStore will let me download it even though it's the same version. Not sure why.

Quote Originally Posted by gingersnapgirl View Post
    I swapped my iPhone for an Android phone because of the limitations of the OS, despite how refined it looked. I like the way the Kindle Fire looks and runs, but I've come to the realization that I'll eventually get frustrated by its limitations as well. I don't mind being "on my own", in fact, I welcome it most of the time.

So the Kindle Fire has been ruled out, but is the Nexus 7 really my only other option? I'm not against it, of course, just don't want to rule out anything that might potentially be better for me. I don't really want to go larger; are there any other options in the 7 in size that are comparable?

Thanks for the help so far!
    Sounds like you don't want a Kindle. The thing with the Nexus7, is it basically ruined the tablet market for any other manufacturers. To me there's no better 7" tablet (unless you're already committed to Amazon's ecosystem). If you want a 10" tablet, then there are a few you could argue. But for a 7" tablet the Nexus7 is the only one worth considering.

I'm still struggling to choose between the 2. Ready to pull my hair out :-) The kindle fire HD 7" has better speakers which would be useful because I am a bit hard of hearing. The Kindle also has a double antennae for better wifi reception and that would be helpful where I am. Finally, it has a non-reflective screen --not as effective as e-ink, but better than the n7 in bright daylight. I tried to read a book in the car yesterday, but the n7 screen turned into a mirror. And, yes, I am a fond consumer of Amazon products. Seems like my choice would be clear, right? BUT WAIT! I've been playing on this fabulous n7 for 2 weeks now, and I love it. The GPS is terrific. The web browsing experience beats that of my older desktop handily. I'm not into games, but I am enjoying other apps immensely. The kindle and nook reader apps work seamlessly. I haven't yet tried any music or audible books. That's next. Anyone care to help me with the decision? I'm so stuck!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Headphones and anti-glare screen protector (assuming they're available)

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

And I am now officially the proud owner of a nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

and just in case anyone was wondering...I love it. I know I made the right decision; I think it's going to be incredibly useful (and fun!)

ROM
    CM10/Stock CM Kernel

I have had the Nexus 7 for almost two months now and still loving it... I found a really cool case at Amazon, it's called the Moko Slim Case, really cool... It has a magnet in the cover that shuts off the tablet when you close it. Anyways go with Nexus, plus being Google you will get all the latest versions of Android.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    CM10/Stock CM Kernel

Ha, sorry I didn't see you already have it...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I got a case for mine from staples - Verso's Prologue case. It's not designed specifically for the nexus 7, but it works, and i needed something to protect it since I'm fairly clumsy. Plus, it's designed to look like a leather bound book...

ROM
    CM10/Stock CM Kernel

Cool...I've seen those cases they are nice.

Man I want a Nexus 7.

Sent from my Galaxy Exhibit 4G using Android Central

Went with the Nexus 7 (8GB) myself as well. So far, everything is looking good, even when I'm nowhere near a hotspot I can access. I bought $5 generic case ("icon brand") at Big Lots, which I've customized a bit, and I've got an OTG cable on the way (from Minnesota, not Hong Kong; it's worth an extra buck-and-a-quarter for a probable faster delivery and avoiding the possibility of something getting held up in customs), and if the OTG cable works, I've found an app that supposedly mounts thumb-drives (albeit strictly read-only) without having to root the device (and in the unlikely event that I ever have to get anything from the Nexus to my Mac or my DOS/Linux dual-boot, I can still email it to myself!).

For me, it boiled down to two things: (1) Kindle Fires and Nook Tablets are extensions of e-reader lines, and as such, they strike me as being uprated e-readers (and I have about as much interest in an e-reader as I have in retiring my DOS notebook, or my cell phone that's only a phone), and (2) I walk into Staples or Office Depot, and the floor-sample Nexus is a live unit, that may or may not be connected to a live hotspot, allowing me (if it is) to try it out on web content I use, whereas the Kindle Fire is locked into an offline demo that's undoubtedly optimized to look good on the device.

And it didn't exactly appeal to me that (if I remember right) both uprated e-readers tended to be set up to make side-loading difficult or impossible.

(And YES, I've had an international shipment held up in customs: a German fountain pen, shipped out of somewhere in the Far East, with the paperwork screwed up)
    James H. H. Lampert
    Professional Dilettante

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I bought both and returned the Fire HD. FHD wins on sound & slightly on screen (warmer seems to make books & video look better).
    I love my Nexus 7 & it has me holding off on the iPhone 5.

I bought an N7 about a week ago, it really hits the mark in everything I was looking for! Definitely check using an OTG cable/USB flash drive combo to expand storage (Movies especially!) I would also definitely recommend the 16GB. There are lots of rumors about a 32GB version coming out. Oh well, technology marches forward!