Wow.... even Apples cables aren't open

joelkamp

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
While I am a huge android fan, I am also normally not one to bash apple (really like Mac books). However, apparently apple has put an authentication chip in their new lightning cable. So not only do they not use the micro usb standard, they want to prevent any competition to there own connector. Personally I think this is way over the top, this will allow them to charge almost whatever they want and also charge huge fees to license the cables to third parties.

http://pocketnow.com/2012/09/25/lightning-cables-lockout/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
While I am a huge android fan, I am also normally not one to bash apple (really like Mac books). However, apparently apple has put an authentication chip in their new lightning cable. So not only do they not use the micro usb standard, they want to prevent any competition to there own connector. Personally I think this is way over the top, this will allow them to charge almost whatever they want and also charge huge fees to license the cables to third parties.

Lightning Cables Include Apple Authentication Chip | Pocketnow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

That is just the beginning....don't buy that sh.t.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Apparently it has something to do with the ability to insert it in either direction.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The thunderbolt cable also has a logic chip in it. Forgot what that was for, though.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
The thunderbolt cable also has a logic chip in it. Forgot what that was for, though.

Ask me how many times I've used my thunderbolt port thing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX