When it comes to Android phones, why must there always be a compromise?

thevaristy

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I remember being somewhat jealous watching Apple tout the camera and battery life of the iphone 4 two years ago. I remember asking myself, "Why cant I find those qualities in an Android phone?". As a father of two kids, I need a good camera with me at all times, and I need a battery that can get me though an entire day. Since I was unable to find those features in an Android phone, I settled for the HTC Thunderbolt. Feel free to finish laughing before moving on. Done now? Okay....fast forward 2 years. Why am I still having to compromise when it comes to devices? Even, worse, the new phones coming down the pike don's seem to alleviate the problem.

The biggest change for my needs in the past two years is the need for local storage. I am no longer on an unlimited plan with Verizon, and with the size of apps these days (The Dark Knight game is nearly 1.5gb!) even 16gb isnt going to cut it. I need 32gb. I would prefer to have a solid build quality, and stock Android also, but we all know getting all of this is asking for waaaaay too much.

Lets take a look at the latest and greatest from Verizon, and its Android OEM's.

1. Galaxy Note 2: Its huge. Like, comically large. It does have a decent enough camera, expandable storage and a xl battery. It also runs Touchwiz. This isn't so bad as there are ways to get around this. I don't want to even talk about build quality.

1b. Galaxy s3: Much smaller than Note 2, battery and camera are decent, but terrible build quality, and is already somewhat outdated.

2. Motorola Razr Maxx 4G HD LTE MAXX: Moto cameras are pathetic. I have read they used the same camera from the last Maxx. Not an option.

3. HTC Droid Incredible X, or whatever its going to be called: Don't have confirmed specs yet, but I don't like what I am hearing. 16gb storage with no external sd slot. This is a deal breaker. 2500mah battery. Sounds large, but with a 1080p screen? Not so sure. If these specs are true, this device will not work for me either.

4. LG Nexus: Probably not coming to Verizon anytime soon, and even if it did, I don't trust Google enough to ensure battery life and camera is anywhere near adequate. I currently have a gnex, and I have to charge 2x a day just to barely make it, and trust me, I barely use the thing.

So, where does this leave me? Dunno, but the real question is why hasn't a company stepped up to the plate and delivered in all areas? Why would a company choose to struggle (HTC), instead of making a product consumers would love? I know i'm not alone in this......Wouldn't you buy an Android phone that had it all, or darn near it? Nothing I have mentioned here is impossible. Quite the opposite. Most of it is fairly inexpensive so there is really no reason we should all be compromising at this point in the game.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you owned any of the phones listed above ? I've played with the s3. Camera is great. The build quality isn't bad. I feel like your opinion is based off others judgement. (Assuming you haven't owned them) stock android only leaves you with a nexus. Unless you root. I would be shocked if HTC only made it a 16gb. . I don't feel like anyone is compromising.. its just the phones Verizon decides to carry. So the question is why does Verizon reject so many cool phones. (HTC one x and x+, Nokia phones) going off opinions, a lot of people like the one x better than the s3.

Evoken

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Have you actually given the S3 a shot or as was suggested above are you just going by what others have said? From my experience the battery life of the S3 is fantastic, I can get a whole day from it with a single charge (and no, I am not using any battery related apps and I have wifi, GPS and sync on at all times) and the camera is great as well. The build quality is not on iPhone level but I like the look and with a nice case it feels really nice to hold and use, and looks sleek too. Specs wise, the international version with the quad-core is hardly outdated, the S3 is still the phone to beat this year imo and even a phone like the iPhone 5 barely catches up with it.

I switched from an iPhone 4 to an S3 and I couldn't be happier with my decision, never felt like I was compromising on anything.

thevaristy

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I have owned a OG Droid, Droid Incredible, Droid Eris, Thunderbolt, Galaxy Nexus, and GS3. Except for the OG Droid, I have felt like each phone is missing something. The phones you mention are great, but even they are lacking in some way. I just wish people were more vocal about wanting more. Dont you want more? And im not talking about crazy things like lasers. I want a phone that beats the iphone in every way. Everything an oem would need to create such a device is right there in front of them.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Each electornic device have it's pros and cons, non of a phone is perfect even Nexus even iPhone :) you need to pikc what you really impotent for you and by one that is best for you.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Has there ever been the "perfect" phone?

There will always be compromises.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I remember being somewhat jealous watching Apple tout the camera and battery life of the iphone 4 two years ago. I remember asking myself, "Why cant I find those qualities in an Android phone?". As a father of two kids, I need a good camera with me at all times, and I need a battery that can get me though an entire day. Since I was unable to find those features in an Android phone, I settled for the HTC Thunderbolt. Feel free to finish laughing before moving on. Done now? Okay....fast forward 2 years. Why am I still having to compromise when it comes to devices? Even, worse, the new phones coming down the pike don's seem to alleviate the problem.

The biggest change for my needs in the past two years is the need for local storage. I am no longer on an unlimited plan with Verizon, and with the size of apps these days (The Dark Knight game is nearly 1.5gb!) even 16gb isnt going to cut it. I need 32gb. I would prefer to have a solid build quality, and stock Android also, but we all know getting all of this is asking for waaaaay too much.

Lets take a look at the latest and greatest from Verizon, and its Android OEM's.

1. Galaxy Note 2: Its huge. Like, comically large. It does have a decent enough camera, expandable storage and a xl battery. It also runs Touchwiz. This isn't so bad as there are ways to get around this. I don't want to even talk about build quality.

1b. Galaxy s3: Much smaller than Note 2, battery and camera are decent, but terrible build quality, and is already somewhat outdated.

2. Motorola Razr Maxx 4G HD LTE MAXX: Moto cameras are pathetic. I have read they used the same camera from the last Maxx. Not an option.

3. HTC Droid Incredible X, or whatever its going to be called: Don't have confirmed specs yet, but I don't like what I am hearing. 16gb storage with no external sd slot. This is a deal breaker. 2500mah battery. Sounds large, but with a 1080p screen? Not so sure. If these specs are true, this device will not work for me either.

4. LG Nexus: Probably not coming to Verizon anytime soon, and even if it did, I don't trust Google enough to ensure battery life and camera is anywhere near adequate. I currently have a gnex, and I have to charge 2x a day just to barely make it, and trust me, I barely use the thing.

So, where does this leave me? Dunno, but the real question is why hasn't a company stepped up to the plate and delivered in all areas? Why would a company choose to struggle (HTC), instead of making a product consumers would love? I know i'm not alone in this......Wouldn't you buy an Android phone that had it all, or darn near it? Nothing I have mentioned here is impossible. Quite the opposite. Most of it is fairly inexpensive so there is really no reason we should all be compromising at this point in the game.

Sounds like you want an iPhone 5 then. What's the big deal? If more storage and a good camera are your biggest needs why would you settle for anything that doesn't satisfy those needs?

The Galaxy S3 supposedly has the same camera sensor as the iPhone 4S. It's typical plastic Samsung phone but it's not bad quality IMO. I also would hardly call it outdated.

I'd also throw out that there are rumors of a Nokia Lumia 922 for Verizon. The camera on that is going to be pretty sweet. It's also going to have 32GB of storage.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Fact of the matter is if you actually use your phone a lot you will not find any smartphone that would last a whole day. Not even the iPhone. Don't believe Apple and their lies.

None of them last a day with heavy usage, best bet is to get one with a removable battery and swap when it dies.

You have to compromise with every phone you get though, the iPhone users have to give up cutting edge technology and use a setup that's 2 years old. In tech terms that is forever! They also have smaller screen sizes and a very limiting experience. You'll get a better user experience on android.

The galaxy s III WOULD HAVE BEEN the perfect phone if they gave it a better screen, better battery, and kept the quad core and LTE. Instead they lied and said LTE didn't work with a quad core, but then and released a phone with both in Korea

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I think in past years I would have agreed with you android phones and tablets what always lacking or overpriced. However this year I don't feel that way at all. Right now android devices have the best options and pieces for both phones and tablets.

If you look at the competitors they too have compromises one has to make and that have far more that most android devices.

Btw I really do like the S3 build quality except for the physical button. Samsung phones get a lot of flack for their plastic feel, but there phones last. My old vibrant galaxy $ phone is two years old and still in mind condition. Even after all the abuse I've given it.
Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
id call a tiny screen, limited choice of handset and a constrictive operating system a hell of a compromise and for what?...
"cool" factor, excelent customer care............, ....., ......

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Koshnix

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Fact of the matter is if you actually use your phone a lot you will not find any smartphone that would last a whole day. Not even the iPhone. Don't believe Apple and their lies.

None of them last a day with heavy usage, best bet is to get one with a removable battery and swap when it dies.

You have to compromise with every phone you get though, the iPhone users have to give up cutting edge technology and use a setup that's 2 years old. In tech terms that is forever! They also have smaller screen sizes and a very limiting experience. You'll get a better user experience on android.

The galaxy s III WOULD HAVE BEEN the perfect phone if they gave it a better screen, better battery, and kept the quad core and LTE. Instead they lied and said LTE didn't work with a quad core, but then and released a phone with both in Korea

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to disagree I have an iPhone 5 and I use it heavily throughout the day and it will last! I'm talking streaming Tedtalks, YouTube, browsing websites, lots of text and calls and streaming pandora during commutes 1hr round trip all while using LTE.

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever bought a car and felt that there was always something missing. The grass is always greener in the neighbor's yard, so to say.

That kind of thinking is why phone OEMs make and sell so many devices. There is always a market for better devices after they release their flagship model every year.

Someone like yourself is Apple or Samsung or HTC's best customer. They make a device and you claim that the hardware is lacking. Well well, let me just upgrade the processor or ram call it the 4, 4s, 5, etc. and get another $200-300 from you next year. Don't get me wrong, I am the same way. I upgrade my tech sometimes every 6 months.

But, you will never see the"perfect" phone as mentioned by another poster. No one would buy their next phone if they made it perfect. Planned obsolesence is the key term here.

As for Samsung lying about LTE not working with the quad core, they had a problem integrating the LTE functionality with their exynos processors. When the finally figured it out, the S3 was already in manufacturing / shipping phase. They decided to leave everything as is instead of recalling the phones and spending more money to change the circuit boards in all of the US devices. That's a lot of money when the phone was launching on all carriers. Granted, they could release a US quad core now as some sort of "Special Edition" or even a S3s. LOL.

My GS3 has decent battery life and lasts me roughly all work day, depending on usage. My wife has my old iPhone 4 and she is always charging it on the way home from work, but she streams music a lot at work.

So, I would have to agree that you need to use a device for yourself. My tablet I am using right now, the Galaxy Note 10, was basically dumped on by reviewers numerous times, but I have used it since launch and find that it fits my wants and needs perfectly, not theirs.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax