Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Carrier branding and bloatware

    I was preparing the Galaxy Note 2 forum and saw that there is some frustration over the Verizon logo on the home button on their version of the beastly device. Some were even considering not buying the device at all because of it. I read the same kind of frustrations with carrier bloatware. A lot of people seem to think it would be better if all of the Android devices were pure android. I'm not arguing against any of it. Just wondering why it means so much to have hardware that's unbranded and software without carrier bloatware, especially when those apps can be disabled or hidden?

    from my Galaxy S3, baddest phone on the planet
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  2. #2  
    nexusisneecesary's Avatar

    Posts
    4,052 Posts
    ROM
    Viper(HTC)One

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I was preparing the Galaxy Note 2 forum and saw that there is some frustration over the Verizon logo on the home button on their version of the beastly device. Some were even considering not buying the device at all because of it. I read the same kind of frustrations with carrier bloatware. A lot of people seem to think it would be better if all of the Android devices were pure android. I'm not arguing against any of it. Just wondering why it means so much to have hardware that's unbranded and software without carrier bloatware, especially when those apps can be disabled or hidden?

    from my Galaxy S3, baddest phone on the planet
    While I can only understand the hardware branded frustration a little bit I can completely understand the frustration with bloatware, when carriers add OEM skins and alter what was intended for that device with that particular version of android it takes up memory on the phone and in some extreme cases like with that of the Verizon xperia play it can make the device severely under perform IMO , not only that but if all devices were pure android it would make mobile game developer's jobs that little bit easier...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Documentary's and Educational Videos you think everyone should see.
    (Last Updated June,2,2013)
    Thread Retired
    Current Android Devices:HTC one,2013 Nexus 7
    Past Android Devices:Xperia Play,Droid Pro,2012 Nexus 7
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    The branding I'm ok with I know the carriers like to brand it. But the bloatware and skins I'm not ok with it slows down your phone and makes updates much harder to push out. Also what you said about the app devlopers it makes it easier on them not having to test every phone out there.

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by nexusisneecesary View Post
    While I can only understand the hardware branded frustration a little bit I can completely understand the frustration with bloatware, when carriers add OEM skins and alter what was intended for that device with that particular version of android it takes up memory on the phone and in some extreme cases like with that of the Verizon xperia play it can make the device severely under perform IMO , not only that but if all devices were pure android it would make mobile game developer's jobs that little bit easier...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    I can certainly understand what you are saying about the bloatware and the skins having a negative impact on the devices performance. But, the manufacturer skins and some carrier bloatware add much needed functionality. I have the GS3 and a lot of the things that Samsung had included had made the phone and the operating system a lot better.

    from my Galaxy S3, baddest phone on the planet
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    I wish carriers didn't add bloat but since they do I wish they would allow us to remove it.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,510 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    The dx2 under performs in all department as well due to Verizon.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  7. #7  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,510 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I can certainly understand what you are saying about the bloatware and the skins having a negative impact on the devices performance. But, the manufacturer skins and some carrier bloatware add much needed functionality. I have the GS3 and a lot of the things that Samsung had included had made the phone and the operating system a lot better.

    from my Galaxy S3, baddest phone on the planet
    Generally speaking most OEMS unless its an nexus device WILL add a skin to it to differ from the competition.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonsamus View Post
    I wish carriers didn't add bloat but since they do I wish they would allow us to remove it.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    They allow you to hide it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  9. #9  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    801 Posts
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    They allow you to hide it.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Hide it, yes. Keep it from using memory and resources... not so much. That is the thrust of the argument against carriers and for the unlocked Nexus as far as I am concerned.
    "In valor, there is hope."
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    Hide it, yes. Keep it from using memory and resources... not so much. That is the thrust of the argument against carriers and for the unlocked Nexus as far as I am concerned.
    Would disabling the apps fix that issue?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  11. #11  
    bkorver's Avatar

    Posts
    801 Posts
    Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Diabling is the next step after hiding, but the fact that it is there means it is still taking up space. My argument is if it is not critical to the the function of the phone, I should be able to decide what is wasting precious space on my phone's hard drive.
    "In valor, there is hope."
    Thanked by:
  12. #12  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,195 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Would disabling the apps fix that issue?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    It should.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Bought a Galaxy Note 2 for Sprint and there was limited bloatware on the device. Actually, there is no carrier branding on the phone at all.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    Bought a Galaxy Note 2 for Sprint and there was limited bloatware on the device. Actually, there is no carrier branding on the phone at all.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    That's how phones should be.

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by ZachA View Post
    That's how phones should be.

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    I would have bought it either way.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2. Baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  16. #16  
    gollum18's Avatar

    Posts
    1,510 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Sprint is really starting to cut back on the bloatware they put on their phones( all my gs3 had on it was sprint zone ), because unlike att or Verizon they actually listen to their customers.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

    Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

    Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Sprint is really starting to cut back on the bloatware they put on their phones( all my gs3 had on it was sprint zone ), because unlike att or Verizon they actually listen to their customers.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    It is interesting that Sprint is the only carrier taking that position.

    from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Carrier branding and bloatware

    Verizon is removing there app store from their device's so that's a step in the right direction.

    Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

Similar Threads

  1. ICS Update and Bloatware
    By rjr1049 in forum Verizon HTC Rezound
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM
  2. Motorola Droid X (Verizon Branded and Rooted)
    By dictoresno in forum Sold / Archived Marketplace Threads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 08:15 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 08:36 AM
  4. Root and Bloatware?
    By ryobi43 in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2011, 10:06 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

B