Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Default Re: What screen size is best in a high end device?

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    I would disagree with the removable as long as they put in a robust battery. As there is always a hard reset option

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    I'd have to see a phone with a battery good enough to not worry about switching

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) available - the Galaxy S3!
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,897 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Stay on topic please. We don't need yet another debate on the merits of removable media and batteries.

I would consider a 4-4.3" high-end device if it did what I wanted and needed it to do. HTC already makes it, actually, and it's called the 8X. They just need to make an android version. :-)
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
    RicanMedic78 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    There has been much debate about Androids lack of a top tier device in a smaller 4inch device.

There are some factors that could change the final size ie: bezel size etc. but lets use the bezel of current phones as a general guide.

What size would be perfect for you if the phone had the best specs available?

1. Less than 4in
    2. 4-4.3in
    3. 4.5-4.8
    4. 4.8-5
    5. 5-5.5
    6. Larger than 5.5

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums
    I think the galaxy S3 is the perfect size. The HTC desire was too small and I think the note and note 2 r just ridiculously huge. Like cartoon big.......

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by hell_on_heels View Post
    I think the galaxy S3 is the perfect size. The HTC desire was too small and I think the note and note 2 r just ridiculously huge. Like cartoon big.......

Agreed!

Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Ya if we could stay on topic I would appreciate it. I would like to get an idea of everyone's opinion on this. Spread the thread around as I think this is a hot topic and we could get an idea of how many people are having to buy larger phones when they really want smaller ones.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
    RicanMedic78 likes this.

Ya if we could stay on topic I would appreciate it. I would like to get an idea of everyone's opinion on this. Spread the thread around as I think this is a hot topic and we could get an idea of how many people are having to buy larger phones when they really want smaller ones.

We r staying on topic.......

For me, anywhere between 4" and 5" is fine. Ideally, more in the 4.5" - 5" range, and optimally in the 4.8" - 5" range if the bezel is thin enough. So my official answer is "4" in the poll above. From what I've seen the Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3 are the closest to the ideal phone for me in terms of screen size, resolution, pixel density and graphics performance. The phones themselves are as big as I can personally tolerate holding or using, so the 4.7-4.8 screens are more than fine for me.
    --- NICK ---
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by hell_on_heels View Post
    We r staying on topic.......

Okay, some people were going to Battery debate hell. LOL.
    Android Evangelist
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by NickFromHouston View Post
    For me, anywhere between 4" and 5" is fine. Ideally, more in the 4.5" - 5" range, and optimally in the 4.8" - 5" range if the bezel is thin enough. So my official answer is "4" in the poll above. From what I've seen the Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3 are the closest to the ideal phone for me in terms of screen size, resolution, pixel density and graphics performance. The phones themselves are as big as I can personally tolerate holding or using, so the 4.7-4.8 screens are more than fine for me.
    So what you mean is you are a #3?
    Android Evangelist

That's too short to post to the forum, so I'm typing some more.
    Thanked by:

2. I am so happy that others are interested in this topic! I am extremely disheartened by the trend of giant phones. A phone should be able to fit in my pants pocket. I don't want to worry about what pants I am wearing. I am just so dissappointed. It's honestly pushing me towards apple (if they didn't bork their maps) or even windows phone (see HTC's Windows Phone 8x). Perfect phone for me? 4.3 inches. Quad core s4 chip. LTE. Removable battery. I guess i'll have to dream for a while longer...

Partly explaining my preference, I already have a 10" tablet and a 7" e-reader. I can totally see the appeal of a 5" phone, but it's absolutely not for me.

Global Posts
    794 Global Posts
    ROM
    Buglessbeast/Stock

#2 or maybe #3. I've had the OG Droid, the HTC Thunderbolt, the Galaxy Nexus, and now the Galaxy S3. I thought the Thunderbolt was as big as I could get, but I managed with the GN. Now with the S3, I feel it's way to difficult to use one-handed. I would just like to have something a little easier to operate. Not sure of the exact size that would work for me now, maybe 4.2", or 4.5".

I just hope they start making smaller phones high end, too.

Sent from my SCH-I535
    So many phones, so little time.
    Thanked by:

Before I got my s3 I would have said #1 but I don't think I can do ever go back... My vote is for #3. I still think 5 or more is just too big.

And yes I know, I know... That's what she said (had to)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    hell_on_heels likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Lol. You gotta go there sometimes

Android Evangelist

Quote Originally Posted by drmaf894c View Post
    Before I got my s3 I would have said #1 but I don't think I can do ever go back... My vote is for #3. I still think 5 or more is just too big.

And yes I know, I know... That's what she said (had to)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums
    She's going to have a hard time if 5 is too big.

Anyway, have to say that around 4.4 in is perfect. 5 is too much, and 4 is too little.

via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie_fresh View Post
    2. I am so happy that others are interested in this topic! I am extremely disheartened by the trend of giant phones. A phone should be able to fit in my pants pocket. I don't want to worry about what pants I am wearing. I am just so dissappointed. It's honestly pushing me towards apple (if they didn't bork their maps) or even windows phone (see HTC's Windows Phone 8x). Perfect phone for me? 4.3 inches. Quad core s4 chip. LTE. Removable battery. I guess i'll have to dream for a while longer...

Partly explaining my preference, I already have a 10" tablet and a 7" e-reader. I can totally see the appeal of a 5" phone, but it's absolutely not for me.

Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a smaller phone, i think the Galaxy S3 is the perfect size, but my wife says too big, but she has little hands.

But umm...

You must wear some very tight pants if a Galaxy S3 doesn't fit in them!

Try wearing men's pants!

Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a smaller phone, i think the Galaxy S3 is the perfect size, but my wife says too big, but she has little hands.

But umm...

You must wear some very tight pants if a Galaxy S3 doesn't fit in them!

Try wearing men's pants!

That's what I keep saying what freaking pants are these guys wearing. I have never seen Men's jeans that don't have pockets big enough. Girl pants are the only jeans I can think of and if that's the issue then stop it because your nuts are your friends don't punish them.

Thanked by:
    The Hustleman likes this.

For me, it's not about pants size. I holster my phone on my belt with either seidio active or otterbox defender cases. And having a vcr sized device hanging off your side is just not very practical

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I used otter box on my skyrocket it worked great especially on job sites I know you said it makes people look at you funny before for that I say who cares. If its just too big then I dunno what to tell ya other than what I have said before contact oem's

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

I guess I have massive hands. I haven't tryed the note yet, but my current phone is 4.5 . I can hold it in my hand with an otter box on it and there's still room!! That's with my fingers closed. I can hold it over your face and you wouldn't see my phone.

INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    That's what I keep saying what freaking pants are these guys wearing. I have never seen Men's jeans that don't have pockets big enough. Girl pants are the only jeans I can think of and if that's the issue then stop it because your nuts are your friends don't punish them.

I don't have problems with my phone fitting in jeans and pants, but when I'm wearing some basketball shorts there's very little room. Add to that, my left-arm is paralyzed so I have to stick my wallet and keys in that pocket as well. Again, they fit in the pocket of my jeans, but if anything else is in that same pocket, that pocket gets completely full and bulges out and looks ridiculous, and isn't to comfortable either. I can fit 100 $1 bills in my pocket, but I'd rather have 1 $100 bill in it.

Anyway, back to the original post; I would have to say #2. If the SGS3 Mini came with the same specs as the SGS3 (ie 2 gigs ram) I would buy it the day it came out. If I didn't have a paralyzed arm, I would definitely give a hard look at the Note 2. If there was a phone that had the same specs as the Note 2 but was 4.0"-4.3", even if it didn't have the stylus and I had two fully functioning arms, I would probably still pick the 4.0"-4.3" phone over the Note 2.
    Thanked by:

2. 4-4.3 inches is good enough. I actually got rid of my SG3 because I couldn't handle it on the weekends when I'm out clubbing. The phone was to wide and I felt it to much when I set down and was just to big even for my big 8+ in hands. I always felt like I was going to drop my phone and I fumble with it to much. I didn't have that much of a problem with my HTC EVO. They need to make high end 4in phones.
    RicanMedic78 likes this.

2. 4-4.3 inches, actually ideally 4.3 to 4.4". I have a SG3 which I really like but if I am honest with myself it's just a tad to big. My friend's HTC One S is the perfect size, but not available on AT&T with LTE so I got the SG3 (the HTC One X is too big). I really wish they would offer top end phones not only in the largest screen size.
    RicanMedic78 likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

What do you guys think about the size of the new Nexus 4? In Phil's video it looks to have a slightly smaller bezel than the Galaxy Nexus. I believe it is 4.6in, but it looks like a good size.

Android Evangelist

What do you guys think about the size of the new Nexus 4? In Phil's video it looks to have a slightly smaller bezel than the Galaxy Nexus. I believe it is 4.6in, but it looks like a good size.

Its 4.7 inches. It would have made more sense to keep it at 4.3in given that they are trying to add it to a Nexus family of devices. If you're going to market a 7in tablet in the nexus 7, then wouldn't you want to keep the phone smaller so that the need for a tablet is greater? I personally love the design of the nexus 4. If it was 4in-4.3in, it would have been the dream device i been looking for. I'm on Verizon, and would have switched carriers come January for an unlocked device like this.

For now, this is just too big for me as well.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast