Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #51  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

Default Re: What screen size is best in a high end device?

Quote Originally Posted by RicanMedic78 View Post
    Its 4.7 inches. It would have made more sense to keep it at 4.3in given that they are trying to add it to a Nexus family of devices. If you're going to market a 7in tablet in the nexus 7, then wouldn't you want to keep the phone smaller so that the need for a tablet is greater? I personally love the design of the nexus 4. If it was 4in-4.3in, it would have been the dream device i been looking for. I'm on Verizon, and would have switched carriers come January for an unlocked device like this.

For now, this is just too big for me as well.

Sent from my DInc2 using Tapatalk 2
    It certainly looks smaller than the Galaxy Nexus which was 4.6 so I think I would like to hold it and see how big it is in my hand.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4

So my wife likes it when I wear pants that are a little tighter? What can I say? If you got it, flaunt it fellas
    I promise that I am wearing men's pants (and not "skinny" jeans, either). Bigger phones might technically fit, but it needs to be easy to get at when I'm trying to answer the phone that's ringing in my pocket. ESPECIALLY if I try to put some minimal case on it to protect from scratches. I get it that this doesn't bother everyone, but it's important for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    That's what I keep saying what freaking pants are these guys wearing. I have never seen Men's jeans that don't have pockets big enough. Girl pants are the only jeans I can think of and if that's the issue then stop it because your nuts are your friends don't punish them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie_fresh View Post
    So my wife likes it when I wear pants that are a little tighter? What can I say? If you got it, flaunt it fellas
    I promise that I am wearing men's pants (and not "skinny" jeans, either). Bigger phones might technically fit, but it needs to be easy to get at when I'm trying to answer the phone that's ringing in my pocket. ESPECIALLY if I try to put some minimal case on it to protect from scratches. I get it that this doesn't bother everyone, but it's important for me.
    Well yeah, and regardless of whether it fits or not, our phones aren't the only things in our pockets. We have keys, wallets, cash, misc items and regardless, a smaller phone just accommodates everything better no matter what size your jeans are.

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    It certainly looks smaller than the Galaxy Nexus which was 4.6 so I think I would like to hold it and see how big it is in my hand.

Brad, u use a dinc2? Is that even your size preference? For me, i refuse to upgrade mine until i get a quality upgrade at the same exact size! But that's me.

Brad, u use a dinc2? Is that even your size preference? For me, i refuse to upgrade mine until i get a quality upgrade at the same exact size! But that's me.

I agree with you 100%. They need to come out with a top of the line phone that is 4".

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    RicanMedic78 likes this.

Yep! 4in screen is just very practical. Any larger has minimal benefit unless we're talking about games. And frankly, games are the next to last thing I wanna do with a communications device. As far as movies and media, watching anything on a phone is small regardless of whether its on a 4in screen or 4.8. Frankly, i rather just watch something on my 52" LED at home. On mobile, you have to expect a limit in order to balance function over form.

Voice, Social networking, texting, email, communication... Thats #1!!!

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Yep! 4in screen is just very practical. Any larger has minimal benefit unless we're talking about games. And frankly, games are the next to last thing I wanna do with a communications device. As far as movies and media, watching anything on a phone is small regardless of whether its on a 4in screen or 4.8. Frankly, i rather just watch something on my 52" LED at home. On mobile, you have to expect a limit in order to balance function over form.

To you but media consumption is becoming a major factor in smart phones and its showing more and more with these larger devices movies, games, browsing the web, what you want to do can be done with a flip phone so why not get a dumb phone.

Thanked by:

Perhaps you are okay with a phone that is mainly directed at dumbphone apps. For everyone else, web browsing on the sofa, gaming in the doctor's waiting room and maps are absolute musts, all of which benefit from a larger screen.

via Tapatalk
    Thanked by 2:
    bp3dots likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kookas View Post
    Perhaps you are okay with a phone that is mainly directed at dumbphone apps. For everyone else, web browsing on the sofa, gaming in the doctor's waiting room and maps are absolute musts, all of which benefit from a larger screen.

via Tapatalk
    I'm with you brother, my phone is a secondary computer for me I handle documents, I use it to control my computer when I am away, I used it to manage building automation systems, as a GPS, entertainment for doctors visits or other waits, my son uses it to play with sometimes he's 2.5 and has no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookas View Post

via Tapatalk
    I honestly don't see how .8 of an inch really benefits here, especially when its something so secondary to real communications (email, text, voice, network, etc). I'm not willing to do it at the cost of mobility and function. But kids may feel different.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

OK stop calling me a kid I use bigger phones I have a career I have my own place my own cars a child just because you like tiny phones doesn't make us children and .8in diagonally can make quite a large difference. Oh and I wear jeans, basketball pants, dress slacks all of them fit my phone easily and comfortably with zero issues with my keys and stuff

OK stop calling me a kid I use bigger phones I have a career I have my own place my own cars a child just because you like tiny phones doesn't make us children and .8in diagonally can make quite a large difference. Oh and I wear jeans, basketball pants, dress slacks all of them fit my phone easily and comfortably with zero issues with my keys and stuff

I remember quoting kookas, not u nrn. Still friends? lol

badbrad17 likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

I remember quoting kookas, not u nrn. Still friends? lol

But its an indirect attack on anyone who isn't of your mindset saying if you use anything over 4in then you are a child. Just because you can't be productive does not mean others can not

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #64  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I have a Samsung galaxy s2x which the same as the T mobile version. I like the size but wouldn't be opposed to trying a phone that is a bit bigger. I am probably going to buy the N4.

Android Evangelist
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #65  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

I honestly don't see how .8 of an inch really benefits here, especially when its something so secondary to real communications (email, text, voice, network, etc). I'm not willing to do it at the cost of mobility and function. But kids may feel different.

I know a lot of people that are getting a bit older now and say they need a bigger screen just for typing. Most are iphone users and they complain about limitations in button size. A larger screen helps this a lot.

Android Evangelist
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #66  

ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

But its an indirect attack on anyone who isn't of your mindset saying if you use anything over 4in then you are a child. Just because you can't be productive does not mean others can not

I think we have to agree that there is no perfect size for everyone. Other wise we would not have sales of so many different sized phones. RicanMedic is choked because he wants the fastest phone in a smaller size.. I think he may never get it but we will wait and see what happens in the next year. If it doesn't come out within this time I think it may never happen unless it really becomes something people are screaming about.

Android Evangelist

ROM
    Viper(HTC)One

5 to 6 seems ideal for me.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I think we have to agree that there is no perfect size for everyone. Other wise we would not have sales of so many different sized phones. RicanMedic is choked because he wants the fastest phone in a smaller size.. I think he may never get it but we will wait and see what happens in the next year. If it doesn't come out within this time I think it may never happen unless it really becomes something people are screaming about.

You and I have agreed often and on this topic I agree you can't please everyone but I will say numbers don't lie look at sales of the gs3 and note 2 people eat them up Sammy is making the highest profits in the smartphone game so I would say they found the trend and are using it to their advantage people can hate but they can't deny it

Thanked by:
    badbrad17 likes this.

I think text and email both benefit from larger screens. Easier to use the bigger keyboards that come with it, and to see more of what you're typing/replying to. I also rank Navigation up there with the most important group, and it benefits as well.
    badbrad17 likes this.

Honestly I thought when I got the SG2 that was the perect screen size I thought and would never go any larger but then I got the SG3 and said hmm it's a little bigger but felt good and the screen size well sorry to sound folksy but like the story of Godilocks and the three bears this one is just right not tasty but good just the same LOL!
    badbrad17 likes this.

Once upon a time, high end got smaller and smaller as tech advanced. You don't ever get the feeling of losing quality when u see something so much bigger? I get that feeling. Especially with Samsung who makes their phones out of cheap plastic.

pblakk likes this.

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Once upon a time, high end got smaller and smaller as tech advanced. You don't ever get the feeling of losing quality when u see something so much bigger? I get that feeling. Especially with Samsung who makes their phones out of cheap plastic.

This cheap plastic has held up well I even threw my skyrocket full force one day completely angry in a fight no cracks no breaks nothing totally fine

That's because technology was the main deciding factor in the size of anything. Now, technology has advanced so far that the decision comes down to us. It's better that way, since machines are meant to work for us, not vice versa.
    Thanked by 2:
    nrm5110 likes this.

Why would something bigger be less quality by default? The purpose wasn't to be as small as possible. A corvette is bigger than a SMART car, and it's a much better performing automobile.

I didn't say that this logic is absolute. Its just a feeling. The iphone for example, just feels like high quality hardware. And i cant help but take from that that size was a factor in giving it that feeling. Maybe it has to do with the way size becomes part of the design that strikes the balance. In the iphones case, size clearly doesn't mean cheaper.

Bigger and bigger to me is like a hollow gimmick to make u believe you get more when you actually get less when it comes to advancements in the hardware itself. But as i said before, that's my view, and up until maybe 2009/10, that was just about where we all were when it came to our interests. Media and gaming really were the only real changes that disrupted this pattern. And as i always believed, media is secondary ro good communications.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast