Random rant/thoughts on Google/Android.

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
*Google needs to figure out its identity as it relates to mobile devices. Nexus is cool, but only the nerds like us understand any of the terms.
Google (and its variations "from google", "with google" and to a lesser extent "GED")
Android
Droid
Nexus
..even Chrome has muddled the waters (its a browser and an OS, and its a key feature of android now)

*to a lesser extent software iterations that dont follow a unifying path (some version names cover 1 update, others more, etc) drop the desert monikers.

*also need to figure out how you're going to name your devices long term. you cant continue to go "nexus N+1" for every successor, especially since you just went with Nexus 7 and Nexus 10.
I'm not saying they have to make the phones themselves (they made the Nexus Q and that looks like a failed project) but handcuff the hardware OEM for pete's sake. I think not offering an LTE nexus at this point is a bad sign. It was a pivotal step in the evolution of the release of the Nexus line, and Google did not find itself able to cooperate with everyone involved (themselves, hardware OEM, and the carriers). I personally dont believe the differences between GSM/CDMA are large enough to prevent the phone from being released on both networks while still receiving appropriate updates (hello, apple can do this across virtually the entire globe)

*speaking of handcuffing, I understand different carriers want different features in their phones (IE sprint wants a kickstand on their flagship HTC line). Require stricter naming policies (IE drop "Droid"). The "Droid Does" series of commercials are actually very informative, but would a woman ever want a "droid" after watching one of those commercials? HTC made a fantastic step forward this year with X/V/S. Caveat, One X+ is tricky because what do you go with after the X+? the X2? we already have done that... One X+2? One X2+? 2X? etc etc ad nauseum. tighten controls of your os and how you license it out.

*Kellen from Droid life brought up a great point. Google wont market/advertise/promote the Nexus 10. Samsung will gladly make that device for them (and work out the kinks, design issues, etc) then market the crap out of a Samsung Tab/Note 10 with crazy res screen. Add in a SD slot, S-pen, (maybe toucwhiz?) and sell the heck out it, while letting Google peddle their own "developer tab" in the play store.

*If you want some of apples market share, you're going to have to take it using some of their own tactics. Apple has coddled the market and if the public is going to perceive Android as an alternative, Google needs to follow some of Apples practices. Simple device/OS naming, Out of this world advertising/marketing (what limited work Google has done recently has been good), and a universally great build quality/hardware. The Nexus 7 ads were great and probably helped the identity of Google in the mobile space, keep it up.

*one more final thing, clean up the play store and get rid of all the crap apps, I understand googles view on censorship, but there are probably thousands of trademark/etc infringements within the play store atm. It makes it look JV to apples "varsity"

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I personally dont believe the differences between GSM/CDMA are large enough to prevent the phone from being released on both networks while still receiving appropriate updates (hello, apple can do this across virtually the entire globe)

Stopped reading right there.

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
you missed the second half of a great rant then. that was the only opinion I have which is based upon my low level of technical knowledge. the rest is pretty straight forward.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
When you think of how much all that advertising costs can add up to, why not let the OEM pay for it. As for fixing the bugs with the hardware, that would also be the OEMS job, leave the software bugs to the experts/original designers.

Yes I know my above comment opposes the point of android being open-source, just stating my opinion as well.

Hmm don't forget the "chrome"books, I am seriously interested in getting one though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

jlo8720

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
When you think of how much all that advertising costs can add up to, why not let the OEM pay for it. As for fixing the bugs with the hardware, that would also be the OEMS job, leave the software bugs to the experts/original designers.
why not let the OEMs pay for it? because the OEMs are self serving. HTC gets in bed with everyone (manufacturers have no loyalties to an OS) so they are interested in short term $$$ rather than long term growth and identity of a single OS.

I dont think i mentioned bugs, other than issues with GSM vs CDMA, which is a tech issue, not a bug.

Yes I know my above comment opposes the point of android being open-source, just stating my opinion as well.

Hmm don't forget the "chrome"books, I am seriously interested in getting one though.
chrome books are in a different space than Nexus, but yes, probably a little confusing to the average consumer.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Search and ads are Google's bread and butter.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

h0ruza#AC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I get your point and I agree that Google could do with some focus. As a UK android fan hearing about Google voice and not having it to see what a killer app it is frustrates to the nth degree. the thing is I think we expect too much of Google,
They are a search company first and foremost and what they have achieved is to create some incredible services over the years but would you expect McDonald's to make an amazing smart phone or an amazing developer's platform? They're doing amazing work but are they cut out for it? If android wasn't free would it be so successful?

I like many android fans want it all and want it now and I'm no fan of apples greed or dictatorship but I have come to realize that to expect so much from Google is wrong.

They kick ass yes! and they will get there in the end but this wasn't and isn't there thing.

Search and ad space is there thing so give them time and eventually there will find their focus... hopefully :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey