Note II or Nexus 4? And Why?

DSEditorjoel

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello Android Central forums,

My name is Joel, and I have a problem: I'm addicted to high spec'd Android phones.

So here is my current predicament/first world problem: I need to choose between the Note II or the Nexus 4.

Having already previously owned a GN (twice) I absolutely adore the idea of having vanilla android and a steady stream of updates. Currently, I'm using a GS3 on T-Mobile (where I work and live in NYC/NJ I get 27mbps on average, so having LTE is a non-issue for me) and I'm finding that touch-whiz isn't as abrasive as some folks paint it out to be, honestly my biggest quirk is the folder implementation (vanilla Android folders are so much more intuitive).

That said, the idea of a 5.5" screen and an Exynos processor makes my pants tight in the crouch area (OK not really... but almost), coupled with the Mali GPU for gaming and it's the perfect handset for me.

Then along came the Nexus 4, and with it came all the high spec'd greatness of the Optimus G. That price alone is what's making this a huge issue for me. It's borderline irresistible.

I stream all of my music via Spotify/Google Music as it is so, storage be damned. Pictures that I want to actually keep I upload to my DropBox. But the camera quality IS extremely important to me since I have a newborn in the house.

I love the idea of photosphere, but how often will I use it in real life AND how long will it really take Samsung to send out a X.1 update to Jelly Bean anyway? The newly announced Google Now features are already available through an app update for all devices running JB (though I'm not sure if 4.2 is necessary for it to be able to scan your email for packages and such).

If price/storage/rooting was not an issue for you, what would you pick? And why?

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Streaming person the Nexus 4 is for you. I am going with it because i find the note is too big for me and i dont have a large wallet - student life.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello Android Central forums,

My name is Joel, and I have a problem: I'm addicted to high spec'd Android phones.

So here is my current predicament/first world problem: I need to choose between the Note II or the Nexus 4.

Having already previously owned a GN (twice) I absolutely adore the idea of having vanilla android and a steady stream of updates. Currently, I'm using a GS3 on T-Mobile (where I work and live in NYC/NJ I get 27mbps on average, so having LTE is a non-issue for me) and I'm finding that touch-whiz isn't as abrasive as some folks paint it out to be, honestly my biggest quirk is the folder implementation (vanilla Android folders are so much more intuitive).

That said, the idea of a 5.5" screen and an Exynos processor makes my pants tight in the crouch area (OK not really... but almost), coupled with the Mali GPU for gaming and it's the perfect handset for me.

Then along came the Nexus 4, and with it came all the high spec'd greatness of the Optimus G. That price alone is what's making this a huge issue for me. It's borderline irresistible.

I stream all of my music via Spotify/Google Music as it is so, storage be damned. Pictures that I want to actually keep I upload to my DropBox. But the camera quality IS extremely important to me since I have a newborn in the house.

I love the idea of photosphere, but how often will I use it in real life AND how long will it really take Samsung to send out a X.1 update to Jelly Bean anyway? The newly announced Google Now features are already available through an app update for all devices running JB (though I'm not sure if 4.2 is necessary for it to be able to scan your email for packages and such).

If price/storage/rooting was not an issue for you, what would you pick? And why?

I would go with the note 2 because of the storage and battery but that doesn't mean tbe nexus 4 is bad I just cant get over the lack of SD card and removable battery the camera is rumored to be better on the note 2 and you wouldnt have to rely on the cloud if you buy a 64gb memory card

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

mnoel1117

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
It's not out yet, but I like the Nexus 4. Still, however no LTE for me would be a huge drawback given AT&T's recent announcement of planned LTE expansion. I expect the Nexus 4 to be upgraded sometime next year, so I'll sit tight for now with my hand-me-down IPhone 3GS. I got a Nexus 7 recently to keep me Android-busy anyway. I do predict an interesting battle between the Samsung GS4 and HTC J Butterfly by 2Q 2013.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I have this same exact first world problem.

Note II has peaked my interest for the screen real estate. I do all my browsing on my phone for the most part. Also the battery life is said to be outstanding. I have held one and the size isn't tooooo bad but is kind of huge. LTE would be nice but I'm on wifi almost all day everyday.

The nexus is amazing for the stock experience and fast updates and no contract and superb build feel/quality. Wireless charging and screen clarity are pluses too. HELP!

Flazer

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
In the same boat. I'll likely go for the N4 though. I've been burned by the original Atrix for updates and I hear Samsung isn't much better. I'll probably end up going to a store and messing with both. The shame is that the Note 2 has everything going for it, except for software updates, where the N4 has some compromises (no LTE in my area anyway, but AT&T is doing major upgrades...)

Choices, choices...

vastmandana

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
same problem here...as I'm on Sprint, would have to switch to t mobile which would cost more but improve speed. however, I'm in construction and can't go without a hard case/holster so that beautiful nexus body would be fully clothed. also, eyes are getting bad so the big screen of the note is really appealing...also, already have 32gig card; terrible thing to let go to waste! I went external battery, Anker... long ago, which is way more convenient for any of you who covet the nexus 4... battery is now a non issue for me

just heard Sprint will be rolling out jellybean 4.2 in a couple days for the note 2 and I got jellybean on my S3 last week, so looks like Samsung is laser focused these days.

for all the above, I'm leaning toward the note... really love my nexus 7, which also got the update an hour ago... and the note 2 would be close for my lousy eyes...my daughter may get a used nexus 7 for Xmas if I can gather enough $ to get the new nexus10! :-*

I still imagine they both suck in sunlight... S3 does!