Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Future of the Nexus devices Motorola?

I am wondering this Google owns Motorola, so why doesn't Motorola create the Nexus range?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,051 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Future of the Nexus devices Motorola?

The way that we think the Nexus program works is that the manufacturers put bids in and then Google chooses which one they like best.

It could also be that Google likes what a certain manufacturer is doing with their devices and then approaches them directly.

Either way if it was exclusive to Motorola or showed clear favoritism toward them without allowing competitors an opportunity to build it then they would run the risk of being investigated for anti-trust and/or anti-competitive practices.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

There's a huge firewall between Google and Motorola still, otherwise no other manufacturer would ever trust Google with proprietary/confidential information.
    Google bought Motorola for their patents, not for their technology.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Oh yeah I get it Kevin, that is pretty bright though, the first one sounds like the best idea for google to make money however the 2nd leads to the best technology. I guess buying a company is easier then buying patents.

ROM
    MeanROM ICS; may change

They probably don't want to give Motorola a Nexus, at least this year, so the OEM's don't get scared and push Windows Phone harder or something. It will probably happen in a few years, but not yet.

Also, Motorola needs to make more worldwide phones. Samsung made the Galaxy S and S II, which earned then the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. LG made the Optimus G, which earned them the Nexus 4. I don't think Moto released the RAZR HD outside of Canada (and the CDMA Droid version in the US, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    There's a huge firewall between Google and Motorola still, otherwise no other manufacturer would ever trust Google with proprietary/confidential information.
    Google bought Motorola for their patents, not for their technology.
    You really bought that? Did you miss the "Welcome to the new Motorola" line they dropped when they announced the Droid RAZR M, HD, and MAXX HD? Did you notice how much closer their new skin/UX is to stock ICS than before? This is about more than patents, my friend.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,039 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JobiWan144 View Post
    They probably don't want to give Motorola a Nexus, at least this year, so the OEM's don't get scared and push Windows Phone harder or something. It will probably happen in a few years, but not yet.

Also, Motorola needs to make more worldwide phones. Samsung made the Galaxy S and S II, which earned then the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus. LG made the Optimus G, which earned them the Nexus 4. I don't think Moto released the RAZR HD outside of Canada (and the CDMA Droid version in the US, of course).

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
    Last I heard, the RAZR HD was coming to Europe soon (if it isn't out already). They're not getting a RAZR M though, the RAZR i takes it place.
    Last edited by Ry; 11-14-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums