Pay for updates

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I read an article a few months ago that suggested Android users should pay for updates to get them fast and those who don't pay will wait the normal time (3 to 4 months) would you guys do that ??;

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind paying for updates if it helps support development and they are fairly priced... and not just for the OS. I think the whole buy once, get upgrades for life model in Google Play and the Apple App store actually stifles development and may be one reason we are not seeing more apps updated with better tablet interfaces. Devs have a right to be paid fo their work ongoing.

I would on skinned phones like I plan on gettin the note 2 i plan on keeping it for the whole 2 years so ill pay to keep my phone updated

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Central Forums

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I love android but people shouldn't have to void their warranties for updates and what I mean is the carrier can say we can give you the update straight from the oem for like a 5.99$ charge if not wait the extra month for us to roll it out

Sent from my PC36100

thedoo79

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I'd pay for an OS update on a skinned device if it meant faster deployment. Might give the OEM's an incentive to get them out quicker. But only if it meant updates less than 3 months after release from Google.

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd pay for an OS update on a skinned device if it meant faster deployment. Might give the OEM's an incentive to get them out quicker. But only if it meant updates less than 3 months after release from Google.

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

This is exactly what I mean

Sent from my PC36100

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
If you want it that bad wouldn't you just root?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Thing is root community is really a minority, most people don't care about system updates if oyu don't show them on front of there face or do that for them (fine example of that is IE browser where it take years for users to migrate to newer version, just because it not informing baout new version :p). Even if you can root problem of slow migration will effect you indirectly since developers need to deal with it anyway, they need reasons to invest on newer APIs and new features. For analogy, current web browsers can do a lot more things they currently being used, but they don't not only because some of those features are experimental, but also by fact that not all users have access to them.

Lot of people consider "fragmentation" as hardware thing, but in reality the one that is most pain in the ass is software fragmentation, because Android is actully a lot better in dealing hardware diffrences then iOS (lot of Android apps that work on tablet didn't been made for tablet :p), ofcorse if we speak about native apps then yes hardware difference is more pain in ass for native app developers which hits users as result even more.

So Google need to solve it o at least lower it some way. We yet to see effect of that PDK thing and fact that Samsung plan to update Note 1 and most likely S2 it's a good sign for better days

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Paying for updates won't fix problem of update deployment, the whole process won't magicly just dissaper or shorten

It might be a way for the Oems and carriers to make money its just a thought I doubt it would happen but the updates need to roll out faster

Sent from my PC36100

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
If it was a patch to fix a bug they created no. Eg If they had a bug were lets say everytime you went to call it dropped out i would expect the patch to fix that be free.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay