Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    So the wife and I are dumping VZW. I'm going to get her Straight Talk on the AT&T network, and I'm going to go with the $30 T-mobile plan.

    I'm ordering the Nexus 4 when it is available next week.

    The wife is on the fence about what phone she wants. Right now, she has a Droid Incredible and loves it. She loves the size and style of the phone. She thinks that the Nexus 4, SIII, and others are going to be too big for what she wants.

    Is there a moderately priced Android phone that anyone would recommend? It seems that all the best phones now are moving up in screen size...

    I mentioned a iPhone 4 or 4S, and she wants nothing to do with Apple.

    Any help or advice is appreciated.
  2. #2  
    tony bag o donuts's Avatar
    Resident Ringtone Maker

    Posts
    3,904 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,013 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Kudos to your wife for not wanting Apple. My wife does lol. I went from the dinc which is one of the best smartphones ever made to a larger screen. Takes some getting used to but a larger screen is amazing.
    Took me a week to get used to it. Doesn't seem as though att has any phones with a screen smaller then 4.5" that has semi current specs.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    I'm really hoping that she will see my Nexus 4 and that will be what she wants as well...

    IMHO, there is really no better deal right now for someone who wants to ditch the chains of carriers.
  4. #4  
    taylorz_412's Avatar

    Posts
    2,062 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Quote Originally Posted by BAlGaInTl View Post
    I'm really hoping that she will see my Nexus 4 and that will be what she wants as well...

    IMHO, there is really no better deal right now for someone who wants to ditch the chains of carriers.
    HTC one s ?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm a superuser
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  5. #5  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Quote Originally Posted by BAlGaInTl View Post
    So the wife and I are dumping VZW. I'm going to get her Straight Talk on the AT&T network, and I'm going to go with the $30 T-mobile plan.

    I'm ordering the Nexus 4 when it is available next week.

    The wife is on the fence about what phone she wants. Right now, she has a Droid Incredible and loves it. She loves the size and style of the phone. She thinks that the Nexus 4, SIII, and others are going to be too big for what she wants.

    Is there a moderately priced Android phone that anyone would recommend? It seems that all the best phones now are moving up in screen size...

    I mentioned a iPhone 4 or 4S, and she wants nothing to do with Apple.

    Any help or advice is appreciated.
    Why doesn't she go with a T-Mo value plan with you? Lol, but... In terms of Android phones... The Mytouch 4G Slide is that size with a keyboard now. If you want to mess with the phone for her, you could root it and get pure Jellybean goodness, currently I'm running ParanoidAndroid on my MT4GS and it's smooth as silk. The only downside is that you'd be on the last gens hardware, but it's still an upgrade from the Droid Incredible, for that matter it's pretty decent. BUT... As of now...

    As stated, the HTC One S (specially the new Black version on TMO) is pretty slick. The Samsung S3 Mini is about your form factor wanted, hardware isn't as great as the One S though but it is 4". If you want to Dabble, I believe all of the carriers will be getting the HTC 8S and 8X. Both solid windows phones and pretty slick.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Quote Originally Posted by Appogee View Post
    Why doesn't she go with a T-Mo value plan with you? Lol, but... In terms of Android phones... The Mytouch 4G Slide is that size with a keyboard now. If you want to mess with the phone for her, you could root it and get pure Jellybean goodness, currently I'm running ParanoidAndroid on my MT4GS and it's smooth as silk. The only downside is that you'd be on the last gens hardware, but it's still an upgrade from the Droid Incredible, for that matter it's pretty decent. BUT... As of now...

    As stated, the HTC One S (specially the new Black version on TMO) is pretty slick. The Samsung S3 Mini is about your form factor wanted, hardware isn't as great as the One S though but it is 4". If you want to Dabble, I believe all of the carriers will be getting the HTC 8S and 8X. Both solid windows phones and pretty slick.
    She travels a lot for her job, and I think AT&T will serve her better. Besides... she is the one that uses all of our minutes. I will use VoIP at home, but I can't really trouble her to do that.

    The HTC One S seems to be readily available in the TMO version. I went and looked at one today, and I really thing she would like it.

    So if I get a TMO version, will I have any difficulty getting that to run on Straight Talk using the AT&T network?

    Would I have to unlock it? Is it easy to do?
  7. #7  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Quote Originally Posted by BAlGaInTl View Post
    She travels a lot for her job, and I think AT&T will serve her better. Besides... she is the one that uses all of our minutes. I will use VoIP at home, but I can't really trouble her to do that.

    The HTC One S seems to be readily available in the TMO version. I went and looked at one today, and I really thing she would like it.

    So if I get a TMO version, will I have any difficulty getting that to run on Straight Talk using the AT&T network?

    Would I have to unlock it? Is it easy to do?
    I personally have never used ATT, but... I would assume since ATT uses SIM cards as well you'd be fine just getting the One S. However, if you get the TMO version, you'd obviously have to get it unlocked as it is tied to TMO's network. I hear unlocking it isn't hard though, you can unlock through root or something along those lines by just typing a simple console command code. However, I'm unsure if you need a T-Mobile sim at first.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Can anyone point me to some unlock information for the HTC One S?

    I'm still leaning this way. Especially since they are so readily available.
  9. #9  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,749 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    I'm not sure the One S would get 3G on AT&T, even if you unlock it.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  10. #10  
    JobiWan144's Avatar

    Posts
    75 Posts
    ROM
    MeanROM ICS; may change

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I'm not sure the One S would get 3G on AT&T, even if you unlock it.
    Maybe you can get an international One S instead.

    Amazon ($495 w/ Prime, $565 list)http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B007H7G6IE

    Whatever you get, just make sure it doesn't say T-Mobile on the front.

    Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    From what I have read, the TMO version is also capable of 3G on AT&T...

    But that would certainly change my search.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    So we have been around and around now....

    We have gone from store to store and she has touched and played with hundreds of phones it seems.

    She has narrowed it down to the SG SIII, One S, and the SG SIII mini (even though she hasn't gotten to put her hands on it).

    So we are making progress... Now that she is considering the SIII, I've told her that if she hasn't made up her mind by the time the Nexus 4 comes back in stock, she is getting one of those... You just can't beat the price for the phone you get.
  14. #14  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,749 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Quote Originally Posted by BAlGaInTl View Post
    So we have been around and around now....

    We have gone from store to store and she has touched and played with hundreds of phones it seems.

    She has narrowed it down to the SG SIII, One S, and the SG SIII mini (even though she hasn't gotten to put her hands on it).

    So we are making progress... Now that she is considering the SIII, I've told her that if she hasn't made up her mind by the time the Nexus 4 comes back in stock, she is getting one of those... You just can't beat the price for the phone you get.
    Agreed
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: GSM Replacement for Droid Incredible? (Picky Wife)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Agreed
    I got in fairly early on the 2nd round of Nexus 4 orders this week. 1-2 weeks to ship.

    So that is what she got.

    I told her that if she really doesn't like it, I would sell it and get her an SIII or One S.

Similar Threads

  1. Back Cover for Droid Incredible
    By adriantannerisb in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 09:31 AM
  2. Phantom Skinz for Droid Incredible
    By TritonB7 in forum Incredible Accessories
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 11:21 AM
  3. Landscape clock mode for droid incredible
    By rh166c in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
  4. Tube downloader 1.14 for Droid incredible
    By tbyanks in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2010, 06:38 AM
  5. best home replacement for droid
    By scbower in forum Android Applications
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions

B