Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 76
Like Tree8Likes
  1. #51  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,197 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Sd cards WITH internal storage is superior than just internal storage because-

    1. If the phone is damaged, all data on it is gone, but with an sd card you can salvage it
    Not all data will be on the SD card, so no, you won't be able to salvage all of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Sd cards WITH internal storage is superior than just internal storage because-

    2. If the computer won't recognize the phone, you can always put the sd card into a reader and get that data without using the cloud to run your data up
    Like the first one, this really only applies to photos and video. And that's if the person even thought to set the camera to save to the right place.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Sd cards WITH internal storage is superior than just internal storage because-

    3. You can expand storage capabilities with an sd card, not so much with internal storage
    Oh really? Did not know that. lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Sd cards WITH internal storage is superior than just internal storage because-

    4. You can switch sd cards without powering down the phone and keep a significant portion of your music or video library with you at all times.
    Isn't it safer to not remove the card when the phone is on? You're just asking for data corruption.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Sd cards WITH internal storage is superior than just internal storage because-

    5. It's just better to have a feature and device not to use it than to not have it and not have the option to use it
    Some would say that's a waste.



    You seriously sound like the type of person that doesn't empty out the SD card of a digital camera.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Not all data will be on the SD card, so no, you won't be able to salvage all of it.



    Like the first one, this really only applies to photos and video. And that's if the person even thought to set the camera to save to the right place.



    Oh really? Did not know that. lol.



    Isn't it safer to not remove the card when the phone is on? You're just asking for data corruption.



    Some would say that's a waste.



    You seriously sound like the type of person that doesn't empty out the SD card of a digital camera.
    Actually there isn't a problem when you unmount the sd card before removing. Don't just up and remove it.

    And losing some data is way better human losing ALL data

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  3. #53  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,197 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Actually there isn't a problem when you unmount the sd card before removing. Don't just up and remove it.
    I don't expect a mainstream customer to unmount an SD card properly every single time.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  4. #54  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    It actually surprised the rep at Best Buy when I unmounted my SD prior to swapping it over from my Photon. He was about to suggest that he do it, but realized this wasn't my first rodeo as I began activating my myriad of functions and apps on the phone. I walked out working....
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    For me is ironic that for years of complaing how iOS devices don't use SD Cards, suddenly SD Cards become so unpleasnt technology.... all this data corruption and "filesystem problems", it so bad that i wonder why they even used in first place

    This is i think all those upsets come from, SD Card got pros and cons as all things do, some people like SD Card and those people like Nexus too, one you remove one of those in the connection in creates a problem. Google made a decision and they know that there are be people who like SD Cards and they are aware of fact that they might lose them on Nexus, so there no point of bashing people thinking that they didn't deliver.
    Thanked by:
    The Hustleman likes this.
  6. #56  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    For me is ironic that for years of complaing how iOS devices don't use SD Cards, suddenly SD Cards become so unpleasnt technology.... all this data corruption and "filesystem problems", it so bad that i wonder why they even used in first place

    This is i think all those upsets come from, SD Card got pros and cons as all things do, some people like SD Card and those people like Nexus too, one you remove one of those in the connection in creates a problem. Google made a decision and they know that there are be people who like SD Cards and they are aware of fact that they might lose them on Nexus, so there no point of bashing people thinking that they didn't deliver.
    Thank you!

    I made a post about the hypocrisy a while ago

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  7. #57  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    "We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better." - Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  8. #58  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,197 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    For me is ironic that for years of complaing how iOS devices don't use SD Cards, suddenly SD Cards become so unpleasnt technology.... all this data corruption and "filesystem problems", it so bad that i wonder why they even used in first place

    This is i think all those upsets come from, SD Card got pros and cons as all things do, some people like SD Card and those people like Nexus too, one you remove one of those in the connection in creates a problem. Google made a decision and they know that there are be people who like SD Cards and they are aware of fact that they might lose them on Nexus, so there no point of bashing people thinking that they didn't deliver.
    This goes back to the specs thing. You'll have to dig deeper at some of the reasons why SD cards didn't really matter.

    For example, 8GB iPhone 3GS vs. Motorola DROID with a 16GB SD card.

    Could you put a application that required 2GB of space on the DROID?

    That application would have to get creative because the DROID only had 512MB of internal storage.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  9. #59  
    Ry
    Ry is online now
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,197 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    "We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better." - Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google
    That's not a good enough answer!
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  10. #60  
    blaze5's Avatar

    Posts
    397 Posts
    Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    That's not a good enough answer!
    It won't be till we have 32gb minimum available lol that's just how it works and people will still complain

    Sent from my PC36100
  11. #61  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    "We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better." - Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google
    That's a great reason to include massive amounts of internal storage, but no reason to jettison the sd cards

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    Thanked by:
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    "We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better." - Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google
    Then why they divide space in internal memory in first place? and most impotently what the hell this has to do with SD Cards? It's internal storage, what ever they joint it or not there need to be sperate directory for sd cards.
    Last edited by Shadowriver; 11-28-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    The Hustleman likes this.
  13. #63  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,441 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    I have to pay for Wi-Fi so no thinks. And my vzw is faster then most Wi-Fi spots
    Quote Originally Posted by trunks527 View Post
    WiFi is your friend.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2


    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Google Nexus Class Devices (Nexus7, Nexus4, Galaxy Nexus lte VZW)...@moosc on twitter ...
  14. #64  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    That's a great reason to include massive amounts of internal storage, but no reason to jettison the sd cards

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    It totally is... Except they didn't. :banghead: if all devices came with 32GB minimum we wouldn't care. That post from El Goog really made no sense at the end of the day.

    A Ferrari with a 1 gallon tank.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  15. #65  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    It totally is... Except they didn't. :banghead: if all devices came with 32GB minimum we wouldn't care. That post from El Goog really made no sense at the end of the day.

    A Ferrari with a 1 gallon tank.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    I disagree, 32gb should be minimum amount with an sd card

    sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
  16. #66  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,284 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Well I don't disagree 100% but what I am saying is that if we had a larger minimum size then using the cloud to do general backups etc would be more feasible. With a 8gb device its a joke. I understand trying to keep the price down for marketing but seriously even 16GB is a bare minimum now a days.

    Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  17. #67  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Thank you! I'm feeling cornered into storing stuff on the cloud. I'd much rather keep it private on my device. I'm going for the S3 because of the microSD and I hope Samsung keeps making good devices with chunky, private storage.
  18. #68  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Devices should have 8 TB of space available so I can load all my movies and music.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - SGH-I747M
    Ry likes this.
  19. #69  
    blacksapphire08's Avatar

    Posts
    221 Posts
    ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Because Google is determined to alienate many of their customers cause of changes they think make things easier for people. No more SD card slots, no more removable batteries, no more Flash support, and a move towards cloud storage. I would be fine without SD cards and removable batteries if they increased the capacities. Leaving these options in place allows them to retain lower manufacturing costs while giving customers the option to add more. Removal of flash was stupid because even Google isnt entirely converting over to HTML5 yet (hello Youtube!) and it set Android apart from iOS. Cloud storage isnt a feasible option for mobile devices since the vast majority of people have bandwidth caps.
  20. #70  
    CardcaptorRLH85's Avatar

    Posts
    110 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP JB Milestone 1

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    I have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus (32 GB internal only) and while I agree that external storage should still exist, it's not the end of the world of you don't have it built in. For example, this device supports USB On-the-Go, so I spent about five dollars on a USB SD card reader and a USB OtG cable. Now, not only can I, with the assistance of the free root app Stick Mount, access my microSD cards, I can also access my 70+ GB of USB flash drive storage from my phone.

    On the removable battery front however, I agree that we need those. I've only had this phone since October and I can't go a full day on one charge anymore.

    Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?-uploadfromtaptalk1360104983974.jpg  
  21. #71  

    Default Odp: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by blacksapphire08 View Post
    Removal of flash was stupid because even Google isnt entirely converting over to HTML5 yet (hello Youtube!)
    It was not google decision but Adobe, also YouTube do support HTML5, for full site go to youtube.com/html5 and activate it and mobile site automaticly use html5 already. Drop of flash is best move ever, flash is on the way of html5, if they did not droping sites would be still addicted to it. Need of comertical product to be implemented on platfrom to "expirence full web" is not good thing, it a huge problem on something that suppose to be open.
  22. #72  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    "Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?"

    Duh--> so they can r*pe the consumer just like Apple does.

    You want more internal storage? Bend over, Rover & "cough" up the extra $$$ to get it.

    Battery bad but the phone is still great? Too bad, for you. Add that phone to the mountain-like landfills of devices filled with poisonous, electronic circuit boards--> because we designed it so it'll be cost-prohibitive to have us fix it & we won't allow you to.

    Wireless, you say? Hmm...for those of us who often travel to remote destinations, no signal = cut off from my stuff.

    +100 for owner-controlled, internal storage.
  23. #73  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy LF View Post
    "Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?"

    Duh--> so they can r*pe the consumer just like Apple does.
    ...
    I'd say it's at least in part to force the lower-end OEM's to include a moderately acceptable amount of internal storage so they don't mislead the consumer with a device that can be expanded to 64GB but only comes with 150MB.
    Those devices even though they can use external storage are pretty much useless IMO because the OEM cheaped out which only makes Android look bad. Update the Facebook App, install a few Angry Birds & your storage is full...and even using storage won't help since they always require a certain portion of the App to remain on the internal memory.

    I think 8GB should be the absolute lowest amount permitted & 32GB should become the standard. Needing more than that shouldn't effect the average User, at least not for now.

    As for a removable batteries, I think the minimum should/will soon become 25,000 mAh & 28-30,000 the standard so removable won't matter as much.
  24. #74  

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    To me, the biggest plus Android devices ever had over the iPad was expandable storage & the ability to move apps to the external cards.

    When they canned that (& no one will convince me it was anything but a money-grab decision), they basically shifted from leading, to holding the door open for Apple.

    *Batteries should always be end-user replaceable.
    Last edited by Tracy LF; 04-28-2013 at 03:50 AM. Reason: added thought
  25. #75  
    waydavis's Avatar

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

    I would like know is the best way to use the cloud. what to sync and with what to sync. i have DropBox, and Drive to use.

    Posted via Android Central App
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Questions on downloading files to the tablet from Micro SD
    By droidster1 in forum Acer Iconia A500
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 02:31 PM
  2. So why is Android so fragile?
    By Chris3D in forum Verizon Fascinate Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2010, 07:05 PM
  3. How to move apps from the SD card to Evo.
    By 31794ty in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
  4. Why is android worth the switch?
    By brendu in forum Sprint Epic 4G
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-26-2010, 04:21 PM
  5. Why is the Incredible absent from HTC's website?
    By Xian.I.Am in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

B