Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
"We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better." - Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google

That's a great reason to include massive amounts of internal storage, but no reason to jettison the sd cards

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
"We got tired of seeing OEMs include many GB of internal storage for music, while users were still running out of space for apps and data. This approach lets us merge everything on one volume, which is way better." - Dan Morrill, Android engineer at Google

Then why they divide space in internal memory in first place? and most impotently what the hell this has to do with SD Cards? It's internal storage, what ever they joint it or not there need to be sperate directory for sd cards.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
That's a great reason to include massive amounts of internal storage, but no reason to jettison the sd cards

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

It totally is... Except they didn't. :banghead: if all devices came with 32GB minimum we wouldn't care. That post from El Goog really made no sense at the end of the day.

A Ferrari with a 1 gallon tank.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
It totally is... Except they didn't. :banghead: if all devices came with 32GB minimum we wouldn't care. That post from El Goog really made no sense at the end of the day.

A Ferrari with a 1 gallon tank.

I disagree, 32gb should be minimum amount with an sd card

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't disagree 100% but what I am saying is that if we had a larger minimum size then using the cloud to do general backups etc would be more feasible. With a 8gb device its a joke. I understand trying to keep the price down for marketing but seriously even 16GB is a bare minimum now a days.

Tara Weaver

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! I'm feeling cornered into storing stuff on the cloud. I'd much rather keep it private on my device. I'm going for the S3 because of the microSD and I hope Samsung keeps making good devices with chunky, private storage.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Because Google is determined to alienate many of their customers cause of changes they think make things easier for people. No more SD card slots, no more removable batteries, no more Flash support, and a move towards cloud storage. I would be fine without SD cards and removable batteries if they increased the capacities. Leaving these options in place allows them to retain lower manufacturing costs while giving customers the option to add more. Removal of flash was stupid because even Google isnt entirely converting over to HTML5 yet (hello Youtube!) and it set Android apart from iOS. Cloud storage isnt a feasible option for mobile devices since the vast majority of people have bandwidth caps.

CardcaptorRLH85

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a Sprint Galaxy Nexus (32 GB internal only) and while I agree that external storage should still exist, it's not the end of the world of you don't have it built in. For example, this device supports USB On-the-Go, so I spent about five dollars on a USB SD card reader and a USB OtG cable. Now, not only can I, with the assistance of the free root app Stick Mount, access my microSD cards, I can also access my 70+ GB of USB flash drive storage from my phone.

On the removable battery front however, I agree that we need those. I've only had this phone since October and I can't go a full day on one charge anymore.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360104983974.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360104983974.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 19

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

Removal of flash was stupid because even Google isnt entirely converting over to HTML5 yet (hello Youtube!)

It was not google decision but Adobe, also YouTube do support HTML5, for full site go to youtube.com/html5 and activate it and mobile site automaticly use html5 already. Drop of flash is best move ever, flash is on the way of html5, if they did not droping sites would be still addicted to it. Need of comertical product to be implemented on platfrom to "expirence full web" is not good thing, it a huge problem on something that suppose to be open.

Tracy LF

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
"Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?"

Duh--> so they can r*pe the consumer just like Apple does.

You want more internal storage? Bend over, Rover & "cough" up the extra $$$ to get it.

Battery bad but the phone is still great? Too bad, for you. Add that phone to the mountain-like landfills of devices filled with poisonous, electronic circuit boards--> because we designed it so it'll be cost-prohibitive to have us fix it & we won't allow you to.

Wireless, you say? Hmm...for those of us who often travel to remote destinations, no signal = cut off from my stuff.

+100 for owner-controlled, internal storage.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
"Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?"

Duh--> so they can r*pe the consumer just like Apple does.

I'd say it's at least in part to force the lower-end OEM's to include a moderately acceptable amount of internal storage so they don't mislead the consumer with a device that can be expanded to 64GB but only comes with 150MB.
Those devices even though they can use external storage are pretty much useless IMO because the OEM cheaped out which only makes Android look bad. Update the Facebook App, install a few Angry Birds & your storage is full...and even using storage won't help since they always require a certain portion of the App to remain on the internal memory.

I think 8GB should be the absolute lowest amount permitted & 32GB should become the standard. Needing more than that shouldn't effect the average User, at least not for now.

As for a removable batteries, I think the minimum should/will soon become 25,000 mAh & 28-30,000 the standard so removable won't matter as much.

Tracy LF

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
To me, the biggest plus Android devices ever had over the iPad was expandable storage & the ability to move apps to the external cards.

When they canned that (& no one will convince me it was anything but a money-grab decision), they basically shifted from leading, to holding the door open for Apple.

*Batteries should always be end-user replaceable.

Last edited:

waydavis

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I would like know is the best way to use the cloud. what to sync and with what to sync. i have DropBox, and Drive to use.

Posted via Android Central App

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it's because the internal storage amounts have gotten bigger over the years.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

Juan Torres-Flores

May 2, 2014
Visit site
i have an infuse 4g by far best phone i've had with 16gb internal and 32gb external i will probably get the Galaxy S3-S4-S5 if this one every dies and its running KitKat 4.4.2 external sd is a must with 16gb internal atleast and no im not a samsung fanboy they just seem to sell the phones i want :D

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Hate to hear Samsung is going to a non removable barttery. And I do not understand why everybody is crying about the back case made out of plastic.
Plastic it easy to clean. And is lighter than metal.
If you don't carry your phone you need to drop it and break it.
See somebdoy all the time with a broke screen or something because the carry it with no case.

Y'all gonna make me go to Best Buy and ask the Samsung Rep if what you are saying is true.
And no Micro SD card. That six's.

And the government following me. Good luck.

Juan Torres-Flores

May 2, 2014
Visit site
And I do not understand why everybody is crying about the back case made out of plastic.
Plastic it easy to clean. And is lighter than metal.
If you don't protect your phone you will drop it and break it.
I see somebody all the time with a broken screen or something because they carry it with no case.

And the government following me. Good luck.

i have an amasing Balistic Case on my infuse ive seen friends get the htc one or the S4 and like 4 days later broken screen :'o

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR