Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

These were always two advantages you could have over iOS, why are most top tier phones removing these from the features?
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,973 Global Posts

Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

Battery is for better design. Lets you get thinner, do more.

SD card is because Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central (among other reasons)
    Thanked by 2:
    droidmymeRy 

Default Re: Why is Android moving away from Micro SD slots and removeable batteries?

Cloud service is becoming more popular and google released the Google Play Music in Europe making it wireless syncing, and also probably, directing the SW to be used to the general public.

Google is advancing yet reversing technology.

No reason to make a battery non removable because the Galaxy S3 is incredibly slim yet it's removable.

They are removing sd cards to help carriers milk our pockets since they are getting rid of unlimited data plans

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    Google is advancing yet reversing technology.

No reason to make a battery non removable because the Galaxy S3 is incredibly slim yet it's removable.

They are removing sd cards to help carriers milk our pockets since they are getting rid of unlimited data plans

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
    How is the sd card linked to carriers getting rid of unlimited data?

Sent from my Red GS3

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    How is the sd card linked to carriers getting rid of unlimited data?

Sent from my Red GS3
    No card slot means you'd be using the cloud more.

Shrinking internal memory helps with that.

What choice do you have other than to use the cloud?

Data isn't free do now you're running up a higher bill.

Meanwhile with an sd card slot you'd be able to carry more on your phone

Quote Originally Posted by The Hustleman View Post
    No card slot means you'd be using the cloud more.

Shrinking internal memory helps with that.

What choice do you have other than to use the cloud?

Data isn't free do now you're running up a higher bill.

Meanwhile with an sd card slot you'd be able to carry more on your phone

WiFi is your friend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    bigjay1641 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by trunks527 View Post
    WiFi is your friend.

+1

Sent from my Red GS3

Thank god for my Sprint unlimited on Lte. I'm future proof B-)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    620 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I use three computers at work, a laptop, tablet and smart phone. I really don't want to keep anything on a device because it would always be on the other one. Granted I don't watch movies via 4G and make good use of WiFi, but it works for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by shkim698 View Post
    Cloud service is becoming more popular and google released the Google Play Music in Europe making it wireless syncing, and also probably, directing the SW to be used to the general public.
    I still don't have Google Music... even that i'm in Europe

Quote Originally Posted by trunks527 View Post
    WiFi is your friend.

Yep but it can't do anything for you when you aren't near it.

Pls Wi-Fi hot spots are terribly slow!

I have to admit this bums me as I'm getting a 64GB for my EVO 4GLTE so I can load all of my music (34GB) onto it and still be able to get pictures. I hate that I can't swap batteries when the time comes as I really like this phone but then I am a phone geek.

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

I do agree and dis agree. I do love removable batteries. One advantage is I can see is ever drop your phone? The battery cover flings off and is broken? It has happened to me. I'm on the fence about the slimmer phone design for the battery.
    Storage. Is a huge issue!!! I agree not everyone has wifi. Or at least a good speed for it. 1 meg is depressing. NOW THE ARGUMENT THAT GOOGLE MAKES AND I DO SUPPORT. FILES CAN BE CURRUPTED ON AN SD CARD. IT'S RARE BUT IT DOSE HAPPEN!! Trust me I've rooted every phone I have ever had. I have lost files and even nandroid backups. I'm gonna leave it at that. Now one thing that makes me sad is they limit us to about 8- 16 gigs. One of the big selling points for my one x+ was 64 gigs.

MY ONE X PLUS IS GIVING ME A *****!!

I believe the non-removable battery is due to the government constantly tracking citizens at all times with GPS equipped phones. Remove the battery, your off the grid.

From what I've read, the Patriot Act mandates by FCC that all mobile phones manufacture and sold after 2001 be GPS enable. And yes, I think even the free 'Obama Phone' is GPS enabled. Why else would the government give you a free phone?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    pkskier1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cashiskingnyc View Post
    I believe the non-removable battery is due to the government constantly tracking citizens at all times with GPS equipped phones. Remove the battery, your off the grid.

From what I've read, the Patriot Act mandates by FCC that all mobile phones manufacture and sold after 2001 be GPS enable. And yes, I think even the free 'Obama Phone' is GPS enabled. Why else would the government give you a free phone?

High comedy!
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

So you saying brick is safest thing on earth?

ROM
    ViperOne

_

I don't even...

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!
    Last edited by The Real X Dawg; 11-26-2012 at 08:55 PM.

ROM
    ViperOne

_

I don't even...

Sent from my Jelly Bean chomping Infuse 4G!

Most reasons will come down to the bottom line of cost. Now with that said Samsung is making a ton of money and currently is the android market leader but as yet hasn't followed the other sheep so I'm less inclined to tar them with the same brush... at first.
    Then i think about it some more and remember that samsung makes the majority of it components and can afford to take a loss on the inclusion of The SD Card because manufacturers who uses an SD Card need to pay Microsoft for the use of the Fat32 file system which otherwise they would be unversably readable.
    Remember the "Microsoft makes more money from Android than Google" headlines of years ago? Remove the SD Card and you're free to use what ever file system you want and there for skip the $? per unit sold payment to Microsoft.
    Then in a more raw sense its an extra hardware feature they can skip which again cost them in the long run. Times are hard all around the world and with big successful players like HTC having profits did you'd better believe it will come down to money.

Removable batteries will be less so but there is much to gain from not having to design a door and housing for a battery even the little sticker that gets printed then stuck to the battery and the phone internal is a cost that's removed if no one sees the insides of the phone.
    Yes there's a thinness gain but that doesn't stop the GSII or the GSIII from being thin. I remember reviewers claiming the GSII was almost too thin for its size and look how things have changed but the sales of this phone and its successor haven't been affected one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    I still don't have Google Music... even that i'm in Europe
    The UK does now. It will come to you soon with any luck.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,228 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    SD card is because Why Nexus devices have no SD card | Android Central (among other reasons)
    ..sadly, this will never be a good enough answer for a lot of people around here.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    ..sadly, this will never be a good enough answer for a lot of people around here.
    People will keep complaining until 32gb becomes the minimum internal storage on a phone until then no SD card will be a lot of angry users

Sent from my PC36100

I don't understand Infuse 4G sorry..

I hate this current trend because I feel trapped and bound by a criteria that is becoming harder to fulfill.

I don't mind non removable batteries or the lack of SD Cards but I want the storage space and the battery life to not be something I have to consider.

Give us 64 GB of storage in what ever format they prefer and I want to charge my phone once every day and a half...

These debates would be over (or Less so ).
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast