Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Default please help me pick my next phone

First of all I want to say thanks for reading this and even trying to help me. I've been doing my research for the last couple of months and have run into many dead ends so I hope someone can help me

so here is the "criteria"
    1) I am looking to leave sprint to move onto either straighttalk or ATT
    2) my phone is mainly used for listening to podcasts, text and MMS messaging
    3) Camera, gotta have a good camera.
    4) as close to stock as possible. even though the screen is mainly off, I don't like the idea of "crapware" running on my phone that either I can't disable or remove (I'm looking at you VZ navigator)

with those things being said I don't do a lot of web browsing so screen size in fact isn't that important. Battery life is since it's being used almost constantly listening to podcasts for at least 6 hours a day.

so with that being said I don't need some octocore-4K screen, 7 inch phone. I would like the n4 but I am concerned about battery life and size. I'm not sure i need a 4.7 inch pmp that also takes picts and calls. and i won't lie, I'm a little gun shy pulling the trigger after seeing what 4.2 did to my N7 (it's unusable while downloading anything)

so please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,084 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: please help me pick my next phone

Quote Originally Posted by mcauthorn View Post
    First of all I want to say thanks for reading this and even trying to help me. I've been doing my research for the last couple of months and have run into many dead ends so I hope someone can help me

so here is the "criteria"
    1) I am looking to leave sprint to move onto either straighttalk or ATT
    2) my phone is mainly used for listening to podcasts, text and MMS messaging
    3) Camera, gotta have a good camera.
    4) as close to stock as possible. even though the screen is mainly off, I don't like the idea of "crapware" running on my phone that either I can't disable or remove (I'm looking at you VZ navigator)

with those things being said I don't do a lot of web browsing so screen size in fact isn't that important. Battery life is since it's being used almost constantly listening to podcasts for at least 6 hours a day.

so with that being said I don't need some octocore-4K screen, 7 inch phone. I would like the n4 but I am concerned about battery life and size. I'm not sure i need a 4.7 inch pmp that also takes picts and calls. and i won't lie, I'm a little gun shy pulling the trigger after seeing what 4.2 did to my N7 (it's unusable while downloading anything)

so please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I'm not sure 4.2 did that to your N7....mine is running great....but I would still say get the Nexus 4. Or find a used Galaxy Nexus. Pretty much anything else will have carrier bloat, unless you're willing to spend A LOT more on an unlocked One X+ or something similar.

Out of the two, the Nexus 4 is obviously the better phone, but if battery life is a concern, and you can't charge it, then the Galaxy Nexus does give you the option of using a higher capacity battery.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

Sadly I wish that was the case, I had to do a full wipe and now it's running fine, before.....not so much. once the data is all copied back onto the device we'll see.

Yes I do have the ability to charge at work, so charging it during the day isn't a problem, but it does become annoying that my device is mainly charging. Kind of defeats the intent of having a mobile device.
    now to wait and see when the N4 comes back in stock.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    I'm not sure 4.2 did that to your N7....mine is running great....but I would still say get the Nexus 4. Or find a used Galaxy Nexus. Pretty much anything else will have carrier bloat, unless you're willing to spend A LOT more on an unlocked One X+ or something similar.

Out of the two, the Nexus 4 is obviously the better phone, but if battery life is a concern, and you can't charge it, then the Galaxy Nexus does give you the option of using a higher capacity battery.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,084 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

A factory reset isn't an uncommon thing to have to do after an OS update.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.