Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Patrick Schroedl
  • 1 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Bugless Beast

Default Photographer Question

Hi All,

I'm asking this question for a friend. He is a nature photographer who likes to travel light when he goes on his photography expeditions. He was asking me about using a tablet as a photo viewer/card dump between shoots. He currently carries his laptop with him to do that, which is a little unwieldy. I told him it would most likely be possible for either an ipad or an android tablet to serve his purposes, but I didn't know if the accessories were available.

Which brings me to my question. Anyone know if an android version (i.e. micro-usb to SD) of this exists?
    Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader - Apple Store (U.S.)

I have not been able to track one down, though I did find a proprietary one for the Galaxy Tab.

Default Re: Photographer Question

I think the easiest thing for your friend to do would be to start using micro SD cards with adapters in his camera. That way, he can take it out of the adapter and put it in any tablet with a micro SD slot. They have come down quite a bit in price over the last year.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

He could also consider tablet with USB host which not only will be able to use big SD reader but but directly connect photo camera
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,000 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

And they should look at the Nexus 10. Definitely one of the best screens on any tablet.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

You should have your friend look into the Eye-Fi Pro X2 card. It's an SD card with an integrated WiFi radio. In Direct Mode, it will create a hotspot that the tablet/phone/laptop can connect to. The Pro X2 is a Class 10 card, meaning you will not sacrifice data transfer speeds in order to use this card. The card stores up to 16GB of data, and can be set to automatically transfer photos when they are taken. It can also be set to "endless memory" mode, where when the card fills up, it will delete the oldest photos that have been successfully transferred to the tablet in order to make room for new ones on the card.

No cabled connections or SD/microSD card transfers are necessary.
    xlDeMoNiClx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    And they should look at the Nexus 10. Definitely one of the best screens on any tablet.
    Too bad you can't use the MicroSD card method with it but a USB cable should work still.

I tether my Nikon to my Transformer Prime a lot. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ourcam.usb.pro
    I use this app to dump RAW files: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nefthumbnailer

If you choose to use a tablet without a dock/full size USB port, a $2 USB Host adapter cable from Amazon will fix you right up.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Kevin O'Quinn likes this.