Will Windows 8 (tabs and phones) kill Android?

nube_android

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
HI, I am an iOS user looking to switch between Windows Phones and the Microsoft Ecosystem or the Google ecosystem. I am a knowledgable person, definitely not your typical iOS user. I am just now sick of Apple, and I want to make the switch. I had made the switch once to Android on an AWFUL phone- the HTC Inspire. It was laggy, had a crappy UI and had RANDOM reboots. So I switched back to iOS. But now, I want to make the switch to Android through the Nexus line, (Because it is most similar to iOS in terms of UI and updates) but I am afraid that Windows and Microsoft will do the same thing they have done throughout history and will sweep through, kill Android tablets quickly and then phones much later; causing me to have to switch to another platform with the best integration. A lot of writers have been saying W8 tablets will kill android on tablets back down to sub 300 dollar machines. I however think it might be the opposite way around. What do you guys think? To me, this makes my decision as I want the strongest platform to switch to . HELP!:cool::(:)
BTW, When I say w8 tablets killing android I mean because some will find them more "useful" than a typical "mobile os" tablet.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Will Windows 8 & company kill Android?

The short answer is no way.

One reason is that iOS and MS are closed up systems where as Android is open so there will always be developer support.

Next, MS is no real threat at this point. They will get their share no doubt, but I really do not see them as a threat.

If you go just on the strength of the platform, you cannot go wrong with any of them. Each have their own strengths. MS has windows behind it. Apple is the richest company with a lot behind their products. Android has Google and a bunch off OEMs behind it. Apple and Android has great community and developer support which leads to tons of apps. MS is lagging behind, but I am sure they will catch up

If your getting a Nexus then you will love Jelly Bean, Android has come a long way since you had the Inspire

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site

The android community it growing so rabidly...I mean that rabidly and pretty soon I have a strong feeling android is going to become os independent is meaning we wont need a computer to develop roms you can already use android to write and compile programs in Java,c,c++,python,Ruby, plus more

Android kicks so much @#$

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Doubtful. It might take BB's place in the smartphone market and develop a big following of it's own but a threat to Android? Doubtful with the growth Android has managed in such a short time.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I think you guys understatemate MS big time. Being "open" it does not mean Android it will magiclly sell more, open or close does not really matter as long as you can develop software for it and microsoft is same liberal as Google, so open is not really importent to make system better.... the software libery is. Desktop Linux is totaly open but it can't even beat OS X, why? It does not have access to software that there Windows and OS X has, you instal Linux..... and still keeping Windows on disk, which is only a scar for Linux for failing in this matter

W8 oen huge advantage that iOS and Android in current state can only dream off, it can run x86 where the system is practicly king already and all software made for Windows will work or x86 machines + Metro apps made x86 will work in ARM (if they made in .NET?). Other advantage is fact that Windows ruling laptop market for long time and from that place it's short way to tablet+laptop hybrids, all those x86 laptops may create all ARM Android hybrids inrelevent with there limited possibilities and software libery compire to Windows.

Thats why i think MS did most genius idea they ever made, use power they already have to go againts Android and iOS on tablet market. W8 has just relesed so it will take time until we see real results.

But yes on phones both iOS and Android can feel safe, Windows come late to the party and they need to do a lot of catch up

Last edited:

blazin247

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I don't think anything will "kill" Android. It's a terrific OS and Google is an amazing ecosystem. I've spent time with Windows Phone 8, and can tell you that it's pretty impressive. It's about 90 percent of where it needs to be. I think if MS can push out that last 10% in a timely manner, they have a real chance at being a solid #3 in the mobile OS game. As far as Windows 8, and Windows 8 RT, there is no comparison. MS has a superior product for a power user when compared to the iPad and any Android tablet out there. If media consumption is your only use of a tablet, then it comes down to personal preference, but if you actually want to use your tablet as a laptop replacement, a Windows 8 tablet is a no brainer. Even on my Surface RT, I can get more work done than on any other tablet. What MS lacks right now is the rabid fanbase that is present in say, Apple products. Once they get past the paid reviewer's/critics/fanboy blogger's that swear Apple is the second coming, and people actually use their products (more than 10 seconds in a store and say "oh, it's different, I don't like it cause I don't know how to use it yet"), they will see great success.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Comparing windows to Linux is not a great analogy here. As a desktop OS, Windows was already the leader by a wide margin before Linux started really trying.

They will settle in around 20% market share, rim will go the way of Palm and android and iOS will divy up whatever is left

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

nube_android

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

But the issue is do you think consumers would rather have a Microsoft Surface or a Nexus 10? Because until Surface has a good bit more apps; whos going to want it at that price?

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
The thing with the x86 platform android wont hurt at all their already is a x86 version of android
Also I'm a firm believer that the closed source model is what's killing blackberry. Ms has the the money and talent to keep up but this open source FREE platform is taking Ms to the battlefield and definitely giving them a run for its money ...I grew up on Ms ie dos/windows but as long as android is open source ill back android all the way

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Architecture does not really matter, it's transparent for user, but it effects availability if system use native apps and even with java selection on Android which will work on anything (even outside Android), it won't beat selection on desktops Windows. Ofcorse it won't kill Android but it gonna make harder for both Android and iOS if MS will push laptop market to hybrid direction.... but as i said we will need to wait for results, there always something unpredictable

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, but I hope they get some kind of success. Watching them fall on their faces every time they try to break back into the mobile market is getting pretty sad.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone hear the rumors of Nokia maybe pushing for any android phone?....I think that would be crazy if they dropped WP do to slow progression but who knows its all speculation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi I am switching from iOS too my Xperia S was shocking on 2.3.7 but quite nice on 4.0.4.

I recommend Nexus devices only as you get really pure OS experiences and coming from Apple that's what we like, to experience the full OS.

As for Microsoft I think they have still a few years ahead of them to catch up if they even can.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
But the issue is do you think consumers would rather have a Microsoft Surface or a Nexus 10? Because until Surface has a good bit more apps; whos going to want it at that price?

I have a laptop so Nexus is nice and I wouldn't want some weird hybrid thing from Microsoft and Android is innovative.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well Microsoft is going to be releasing a revamped surface in the coming months. So the originals will probably drop in price.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

anjali_jain

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Odp: Will Windows 8 (tabs and phones) kill Android?

I doubt it will even create a flow in the tablet market. MS has never been able to make a decent tablet at an reasonable price point.

Usman Mubashir

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it will, and here is why:
Microsoft has a lot of services as compared to Google. Google is no where near to provide services like xbox or office, it is these strengths of MS that will lead to WPs success. I know it will not happen over night, but down the road probably 6 or 7 years later maybe.
Microsoft plays a very tricky game where it lasts better than its rivals. We know people use Windows in Offices, We know millions play XBOX, we know Microsoft Office is still unmatched when it comes to business. The fact is, with these services combined into a smartphone OS Microsoft has at least guaranteed that a fixed amount of people WILL buy into WP and shift to the One Microsoft platform. And I don't see any Google alternative to these. Google can use Youtube for its defence but a billion apps alone are not enough to save it against the might WP is going to become.
Now hear me out before lashing out about the might of WP. I didn't mean in terms of market share. I meant that WP has different kernel than Android, its in fact the same as the Windows RT. that gives them a whole lot of room to do things which are not possible on Android. Like streaming XBOX games to your Lumia 520 from the cloud (they did it in an internal conference) such things are only possible on WP and are sure gonna win lots of users.
Anyways, I have always loved Android, I love how it manages its home screens. Kinda wish that it was on WP too :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non