Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default best unlocked android

Hi there,
    I need some advise. I need to upgrade my phone from the HTC Thunderbolt. The problem is that I have Verizon (the only reliable service in our area) with an unlimited data plan grandfathered in. The Verizon sales person said that I will loose my unlimited plan if I buy a phone from the store but can keep it if I bring in my own hardware.

So, I need to find an unlocked android phone that I can get to bring into Verizon. Do you have any ideas? It seems like all of the best quality phones come combined with provider. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: best unlocked android

Quote Originally Posted by shannonjmac View Post
    Hi there,
    I need some advise. I need to upgrade my phone from the HTC Thunderbolt. The problem is that I have Verizon (the only reliable service in our area) with an unlimited data plan grandfathered in. The Verizon sales person said that I will loose my unlimited plan if I buy a phone from the store but can keep it if I bring in my own hardware.

So, I need to find an unlocked android phone that I can get to bring into Verizon. Do you have any ideas? It seems like all of the best quality phones come combined with provider. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!
    You'll have to buy a Verizon branded device for full off-contract price. So you're not going to get anything new for really cheap. Your best bet would be to search craigslist or something similar for someone selling a Verizon device with a clean ESN that you can use.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

ROM
    Stock

"unlocked phone" refers to a GSM phone that is not locked to a mobile carrier that uses the GSM technology. In the USA the companies that use GSM are only t-mobile and AT&T

Verizon uses CDMA (or TDMA) technology for their phone network and therefore - as mentioned above - you can only use Verizon-branded devices on their network. Same situation for Verizon will apply to Sprint also.

Global Posts
    524 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gtbarry View Post
    "unlocked phone" refers to a GSM phone that is not locked to a mobile carrier that uses the GSM technology. In the USA the companies that use GSM are only t-mobile and AT&T

Verizon uses CDMA (or TDMA) technology for their phone network and therefore - as mentioned above - you can only use Verizon-branded devices on their network. Same situation for Verizon will apply to Sprint also.
    +1

No Verizon phone is truly unlocked since their network uses proprietary tech no one else in the world really uses (this goes for Sprint too).

So what you're looking for is a Verizon phone with Android off contact. I would suggest checking out ebay and Craigslist before buying a phone from Verizon at insane off contact prices.

Sent from my Nexus 7