When will the Mali's 400mp chip come to an end?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Well I know this isnt the most amazing gpu in the world but it is pretty good even tho it's quite old. With the new powervr chip, adreno 320 and the Mali t624(I think it's called) is the Mali 400mp left in the dust and just poor now?

I'm worried because I have my s3 until may 2014 and by then will the high intensity of gaming won't be able to run on the Mali 400mp? Can someone put me out of my misery because I'm worried that my phone will become rubbish next year.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
The thing is in triangle texture tests it's the worst gpu by far, its worse than adreno 220 225 320 and even the power vr in the iPad 2, why is this? Does this show it's really bad?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The thing is in triangle texture tests it's the worst gpu by far, its worse than adreno 220 225 320 and even the power vr in the iPad 2, why is this? Does this show it's really bad?

No...it shows that it's outclassed now, but that doesn't make it old or worthless or not good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
But doesn't games use this triangle texture thing? If it does then my phone will most probably lag during a game, do you think my phone will last well until around may 2014 when mtg upgrade is due?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
But doesn't games use this triangle texture thing? If it does then my phone will most probably lag during a game, do you think my phone will last well until around may 2014 when mtg upgrade is due?

No one can say that for sure, but it's safe to say there will always be lower end phones for devs to target for apps.

The GNex has a dual core of omap with the same GPU and runs games just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DMSSweden

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
AndroidS3

Seriously! Ofcourse there are going to be alot of smartphones with much better specs then the s3 a year from now. As someone said, its natural technology advance - and quite fast I might add.

But do not despair - your (and mine aswell) s3 will probably play the majority of all games in a year anyway. You see, there is another aspect to it, and this is a aspect that we should not forget when comparing specs with other phones (its easy to focus so much on specs that we become blind for other aspects), namely the fact that the Samsun Galaxy s III is very, vey popular. There have been ALOT of s3's sold out there. This means that most developers probably gonna make games compatible with the s3 for quite a while, even if there are some hardcore Androids with hardcore specs out there then, because it would be stupid to neglect such a big part of the smartphone market that the s3 holds.

Ofcours the s3 is going to be 'old trash' one day (even though I find it hard to think of it as trash; but relatively speaking), but I personally believe that its gonna last (and be good) for some time!

You must be a very insecure person if you are starting to worry about your new high end phone growing old almost the same sec you bought it. If we would think that way all the time, well, then we would have to live in fear 24/7, becase there will ALWAYS come something that is better, no matter how new and technically advanced something is when its released...

So, calm down! Your s3 will be fine for quite a while, because there are so many ppl that have it so its good for business to make games, apps etc. compatible with it. And don't forget: It IS a very, very good phone :) Relax in that thought, my friend :)

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
AndroidS3

Seriously! Ofcourse there are going to be alot of smartphones with much better specs then the s3 a year from now. As someone said, its natural technology advance - and quite fast I might add.

But do not despair - your (and mine aswell) s3 will probably play the majority of all games in a year anyway. You see, there is another aspect to it, and this is a aspect that we should not forget when comparing specs with other phones (its easy to focus so much on specs that we become blind for other aspects), namely the fact that the Samsun Galaxy s III is very, vey popular. There have been ALOT of s3's sold out there. This means that most developers probably gonna make games compatible with the s3 for quite a while, even if there are some hardcore Androids with hardcore specs out there then, because it would be stupid to neglect such a big part of the smartphone market that the s3 holds.

Ofcours the s3 is going to be 'old trash' one day (even though I find it hard to think of it as trash; but relatively speaking), but I personally believe that its gonna last (and be good) for some time!

You must be a very insecure person if you are starting to worry about your new high end phone growing old almost the same sec you bought it. If we would think that way all the time, well, then we would have to live in fear 24/7, becase there will ALWAYS come something that is better, no matter how new and technically advanced something is when its released...

So, calm down! Your s3 will be fine for quite a while, because there are so many ppl that have it so its good for business to make games, apps etc. compatible with it. And don't forget: It IS a very, very good phone :) Relax in that thought, my friend :)

That sums it all up! Cheers bro!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21