Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apple attempts to trademark the LEAF

This is out of hand now: Apple attempts to trademark the LEAF ? The Register

Apple is definitely getting way out of hand with their patent/lawsuit frenzy.

ROM
    BobZ CM10

Default Re: Apple attempts to trademark the LEAF

Quote Originally Posted by xlDeMoNiClx View Post
    This is out of hand now: Apple attempts to trademark the LEAF ? The Register

Apple is definitely getting way out of hand with their patent/lawsuit frenzy.
    Is Apple gonna sue Mother Nature and tell her to stop growing trees in North America with tilted sharp ended ovals? Then I shall trademark the sole use of a triangle...then anyone else who is using a triangle regardless of prior art will be litigated.

This is really plain stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by atrain2324 View Post
    Is Apple gonna sue Mother Nature and tell her to stop growing trees in North America with tilted sharp ended ovals? Then I shall trademark the sole use of a triangle...then anyone else who is using a triangle regardless of prior art will be litigated.

This is really plain stupid.
    I would be not supriced if triangle is already traidemarked... isn't Sony have trademark on few circled shapes?

Anyway i think they trying to block those apple logo mutations this way
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    I would be not supriced if triangle is already traidemarked... isn't Sony have trademark on few circled shapes?

Anyway i think they trying to block those apple logo mutations this way
    They sued a grocery company in some other country cause their logo resembled Apple's. They will literally put on a patent on/sue for anything these days.

They sued a grocery company in some other country cause their logo resembled Apple's. They will literally put on a patent on/sue for anything these days.
    Yes one in poland that what i mean by apple logo mutations, note that it had identical leaf shape
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes one in poland that what i mean by apple logo mutations, note that it had identical leaf shape
    I like the joke this article makes "What's next? The white space around the leaf?" It'd be funnier if there wasn't the chance that Apple would actually do that which at this point wouldn't be that surprising.

I like the joke this article makes "What's next? The white space around the leaf?" It'd be funnier if there wasn't the chance that Apple would actually do that which at this point wouldn't be that surprising.
    What do you mean white space around leaf? You can trademark only graphical symbols and names
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,793 Global Posts

How dare anyone try to trademark parts of their logo.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

What do you mean white space around leaf? You can trademark only graphical symbols and names
    It's a joke (as I said in my post) that the writer of the article makes.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    How dare anyone try to trademark parts of their logo.
    Your sarcasm in favor of Apple is not surprising either. It's a freakin leaf. That would be like HTC putting a patent on using a Capital H, T, or C in your name.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,793 Global Posts

Your sarcasm in favor of Apple is not surprising either. It's a freakin leaf. That would be like HTC putting a patent on using a Capital H, T, or C in your name.
    Actually, it's not like that at all.

I'm pretty sure if some company used the same stylized M that Motorola uses, Google would have an issue with it.

I'm pretty sure if some company used graphics similar to the what's beside the HTC logo below, HTC would have an issue with it.

This isn't Apple trying to trademark all leafs. The Toronto Maple Leafs logo is fine. The Canadian flag is fine.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Trademarks are not patents, they are brand related, not invention related. Unlike invention that really at the end does not matter, brands contains marketing value that gathers even if brand owner don't want to, because of human nature of identifying things by names and symbols. By using Apple logo on your own product you use marketing value that you don't own and didn't work for, so yea unlike patents, trademarks are bigger deal and as Ry said even other companies would react on that.

Also trademarks are not reserving idea but specific symbol and only that symbol, so that leaf won't effect other leaf logos that look diffrent, mentioned HTC is not exception which is also trademarked btw
    Thanked by:
    Ry