Ready to buy my first Android phone - HTC, LG or..?

OakIris

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
First let me point out that my carrier is Virgin Mobile (VM,) so my choice of Android phones is limited. My budget will also limit my choices somewhat; I don't want to pay more than $150 for the phone. I also know that VM routinely has their phones crippled by the manufacturer so, assuming they do the same with their Android phones, my experience with whatever phone I end up getting will be tempered by that. I currently have the grandfathered $25/mth plan and, sadly, realize I will have to bump this up to their $35/mth plan, but I am hoping that switching to an Android phone will make the extra cost worth it. I am unaware of any other non-contract carrier that offers a plan that is as good as VMs for that price, which is why I decided to stick with VM.

I don't use my phone extensively - it isn't constantly glued to my hand or my face as it is for many users. I primarily use if to make and receive phone calls, so a phone with a good speaker is important - you know, clear sounding reception and transmission. I do use my phone to do some texting/messaging and for occasional Internet use. (Of course, my Internet use may increase when I get a phone with (hopefully) better browser implementation than I have with my current "semi-dumb" phone, the LG Rumor Touch.) I don't take many pictures with my phone, either, but a better camera may change that as well.

Right now these are the phones I am seriously considering:

HTC EVO? V 4G (if this is "the one," I am hoping to root this phone, and make the other necessary changes, to take care of the radio problem that others have posted about.)

HTC One? V

LG? Optimus Elite? (not current as far as OS software is concerned, but it seems to be reliable and get pretty good reviews.)

Pros and cons of these phones for those who have experience with them would be much appreciated. If another of the limited VM offerings would be better, such as the Samsung Galaxy Reverb - ?? - that info would also be very useful and welcome. :)

Holly

OakIris

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting that there have been many views but no one wants to express an opinion. Perhaps I have posted this in the wrong forum. Don't tell me I am going to have to make up my own mind!?! lol

Holly

jmbburg26

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Go with the One V. I've had a lot of phones and can recommend HTC. However, if your plan is to root and Rom, I would check to see which one is the easiest to do it on. The LG phones tend to be really good with that.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

OakIris

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for your response, jmbburg26. The One V is only $50 at Radio Shack (with today being the last day of the sale) so it is pretty tempting! I think I may have to go there today just to "play" with the phone to see if it is the winner.....

Holly

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I was strongly considering the One V this last Spring, it looks good, runs well and seems to be constructed well. The Evo would be more powerful, but it sounds like you don't need that.

Did you end up getting the One V?

Persill

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I also recommend an HTC One. I have never used the V, but I currently own the One X and gotta say its a pretty great phone and does way more than just get the job done. Since your gonna be using an unlocked phone you'll likely get updates quicker than the carrier locked variants. For example my AT&T One X is still on android 4.0.4, while the unlocked version is at 4.1. BTW how is Virgin Mobile's coverage?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The EVO or the One V is your best choices. Both will serve your basis needs and have plenty more capabilities on tap should you want to explore and enjoy your device more.

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm pro HTC. Haven't had any problems with any of mine so far.

Sent from my PG86100 using Android Central Forums

OakIris

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I had decided upon getting the HTC One V - Radio Shack had in on sale for $50. You bet! And then I discovered that it was not available at any of the local Radio Shacks and that they were out of stock on line as well. :'( Guess that is what happens when you find out about the sale on the last day of the sale (Saturday, 12/29.)

So, I ordered the HTC Evo V 4G from VM instead. It is on sale on the VM website until 01/03/2013, $100 lower than any where else I could find it, which is why I ordered it directly from VM. I hope to get it by the end of this week, but no shipping info has been sent to me as yet, so.....

I somewhat regret not getting the HTC One V - I bet it would have been just fine for my needs - but I am hoping to be happy with the Evo.

Thank you again, everyone, for your comments and for sharing your experiences with me. :)

Holly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy