Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By cormaster628
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Default Samsung could face $15 billion fine for trying to ban iPhone, other Apple devices

Samsung (005930) could face a $15 billion fine in Europe alone for using “standard-essential” patents in its attempts to ban devices like the iPhone in its ongoing patent battle with Apple (AAPL). The Guardian reports that the European commission could impose a massive fine of up to 10% of Samsung’s global turnover following its investigation into Samsung’s use of standard-essential patents in complaints filed against Apple in Europe. Samsung’s revenue totaled $148.9 billion in 2011, so fines in Europe alone could reach $14.8 billion.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Default Re: Samsung could face $15 billion fine for trying to ban iPhone, other Apple devices

I'll tell you what I used to take the Samsung and Apple battles personal, thinking Apple was just trying to kill android with patents, now I don't take them seriously anymore. Thus far us the consumers haven't noticed any real impact, other than a few minor inconveniences ie the short galaxy nexus ban.

Reality is don't read into it too much, it's too tech goliaths battling it out in the court system wasting money, and no its not driving costs up since both companies products are ridiculously overpriced anyway and we're before the court battles begun l. And I gotta be realistic, Samsung DID copy Apple. Maybe not to the extent of making a pure knock off but I gotta say if apple was willing to work with HTC, they would of been willing to work with Samsung.

Also Samsung just needs to fire their whole legal team. Their whole argument seems to be "Yeah we did copy apple a little but WHO CARES THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE THOSE PATENTS ANYWAY!" Samsung is screaming at Apple like a kid claiming its not fair.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
    Ry, anjali_jain and ttwiitch like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,202 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung could face $15 billion fine for trying to ban iPhone, other Apple devices

Quote Originally Posted by cormaster628 View Post
    I'll tell you what I used to take the Samsung and Apple battles personal, thinking Apple was just trying to kill android with patents, now I don't take them seriously anymore. Thus far us the consumers haven't noticed any real impact, other than a few minor inconveniences ie the short galaxy nexus ban.

Reality is don't read into it too much, it's too tech goliaths battling it out in the court system wasting money, and no its not driving costs up since both companies products are ridiculously overpriced anyway and we're before the court battles begun l. And I gotta be realistic, Samsung DID copy Apple. Maybe not to the extent of making a pure knock off but I gotta say if apple was willing to work with HTC, they would of been willing to work with Samsung.

Also Samsung just needs to fire their whole legal team. Their whole argument seems to be "Yeah we did copy apple a little but WHO CARES THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE THOSE PATENTS ANYWAY!" Samsung is screaming at Apple like a kid claiming its not fair.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Great observation.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Totally agree. Except the part about kindergarden. There's no way that such gigantic companies will act like kids. As you said, they are spending tons of money on this case, I doubt it goes in vain. For judges and stuff Samsung position may sound smarter than for you.