Upgrade Verizon at Walmart and keep unlimited?

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
2 of my friends just upgraded to the Iphone 5 at Walmart at 2 separate times and both of them still has there unlimited data. I was wondering if I could upgrade to a android device at Walmart and keep my unlimited data. Has anyone else done this or no anything about this

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
2 of my friends just upgraded to the Iphone 5 at Walmart at 2 separate times and both of them still has there unlimited data. I was wondering if I could upgrade to a android device at Walmart and keep my unlimited data. Has anyone else done this or no anything about this
You can't use an upgrade on an unlimited data line at Walmart or anywhere else and keep unlimited data. So if that is what your friends are saying happened, don't believe it. When you do an upgrade on an unlimited data line at Walmart, there isn't even the option of keeping unlimited - either a tiered data plan must be selected or a shared everything plan must be selected.

What might have happened is that they used an upgrade from another line that did not have unlimited data to get the iPhone 5 and then transferred the iPhone 5 to their unlimited data line. That you can do, but it is because you are not using an upgrade on an unlimited data line. You are using the upgrade on a non-unlimited data line and then transferring the device to the unlimited data line.

It is also possible that they don't realize that they have been switched off of unlimited data and are giving you misinformation.

honex97

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Your right I posted on here before getting all the info. One of my friends used another upgrade on his account then switched but my other friend claims she used the upgrade on her number and the guy at Walmart told her she would lose unlimited data then after the upgrade she said that he said she still had unlimited data but I'm betting he was wrong and if she checks her account online she will see otherwise

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
if she checks her account online she will see otherwise
It sometimes takes the system 24 hours to update and the real test will be once she starts a new billing cycle.

Walmart and all of the third party wireless sellers simply don't have the option in their systems to let you keep unlimited. They must select a data plan when you do the upgrade and unlimited data isn't an option they are presented with during the checkout.

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't pertain to Walmart but I upgraded on Nov 25 via best buy.com and I kept my unlimited data.. I didn't do anything special just regular upgrade and it never made me choose a new data plan.. my new billing cycle has started too and still have unl data..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
This doesn't pertain to Walmart but I upgraded on Nov 25 via best buy.com and I kept my unlimited data.. I didn't do anything special just regular upgrade and it never made me choose a new data plan.. my new billing cycle has started too and still have unl data..
Can you show us screenshots of your billing statements showing the upgrade fee and the unlimited data unchanged? You can black out personal information.

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I can later, except for the fact that I still haven't been charged the $30 upgrade fee... So far this upgrade has been a huge win for me..

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok, well that shows that you bought a device at the upgrade price and you are keeping your existing data plan but not that you have unlimited data as your existing plan. Can you show us screen shots showing your data plan before and after you bought the DNA? You have to understand this is hard to believe given that other people have not been able to keep unlimited data when they upgraded on an unlimited data line.

Anyhow, if it is true it is like your upgrade didn't process properly, especially since the $30 upgrade fee has never been charged to your account, and you are very lucky. Although you say it reset your upgrade date to 20 months from now so that would indicate the upgrade did process. Perhaps there is a glitch in the bestbuy.com system? Worth trying if others have upgrades available and it wouldn't be the end of the world if they lose unlimited data. For me, I would hate to renew a non-unlimited data contract with VZW. They are too expensive unless you have unlimited unthrottled data.

Last edited: