HTC's Peter Chou: poor marketing held us back in 2012

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC's Peter Chou: poor marketing held us back in 2012, but the worst has probably passed via Engadget

Peter Chou has gone on the record with the Wall Street Journal blaming his company's rough financial performance last year on insufficient marketing. Speaking about HTC's competitors, and presumably about Samsung in particular, he described them as "too strong and very resourceful, pouring lots of money into marketing." He was candid about the fact that, relatively speaking, he doesn't have a great deal of cash at hand to counter rival publicity, but instead puts his faith in having more "unique products" -- possibly referring to phones like the 1080p Droid DNA. Overall, he said that the "the worst for HTC has probably passed" and that 2013 will be "not too bad.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
They need more focus that's all... They got close with their high-end stuff just need some spit and polish and market it precisely.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Seen more Samsung commercials in 2013 than HTC commercials period in 2012

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My girl owns a HTC incredible 2 and wants to move to sprint and wants the evo lte

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
HTC needs less models, and focus more on say 2-3 core models. End the carrier exclusive bull$#!t, and offer the same phone all around - like SG SIII and iPhone. I really hope the M7 comes soon and is a winner. To me, crippled models like the DNA are HTC's downfall. I loved my Nexus One - made by HTC. Hope to get that similar experience in the future. Until then, I'll keep chugging with my iPhone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC needs less models, and focus more on say 2-3 core models. End the carrier exclusive bull$#!t, and offer the same phone all around - like SG SIII and iPhone. I really hope the M7 comes soon and is a winner. To me, crippled models like the DNA are HTC's downfall. I loved my Nexus One - made by HTC. Hope to get that similar experience in the future. Until then, I'll keep chugging with my iPhone.

The less models thing? They said that last year. But post HTC One-series, we get the HTC EVO 4G LTE and DROID Incredible 4G LTE plus some new Desire models and a One SV and VX. I don't trust HTC to do what's needed but I don't think HTC was in the position to say no to the HTC EVO 4G LTE and DROID Incredible 4G LTE.

And last I heard Verizon asked HTC to build the DNA, not HTC making something and pitching it to Verizon hoping for buy-in. And the HTC DROID DNA is far from a crippled device.

TexasNexus1

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
As a former Thunderbolt owner (now Note 2), I really think HTC needs to focus on drastically improving battery life on their phones, not to mention bringing back user replaceable batteries (ex. their One series and latest Droid DNA have non user-replaceable ones) if they want to have any chance of a comeback. Other OEM's, Samsung in particular, just seem to really be pulling away in this regard compared to HTC. Myself, until they close that gap I can't ever see considering HTC again.

As a former tbolt owner my wife is thrilled with the battery performance of her DNA. Night and day difference from the Tbolt. Htc should market that! It IS a drastic improvement... She never got 16 hours run time til now.
Got my eye on the note 2 but so much time to wait :mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol