Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung Confirms Tizen Phones for 2013, what is your opinion?

Do we really need another OS? Probably not.

But with backing by Samsung, Tizen has way more potential than Open webOS, Firefox OS, and Ubuntu Mobile combined.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Brand matters to people.
    True, at least for relatively new consumers. For established, satisfied users, I would imagine staying in an established ecosystem would be more important. Who wants to give up all those apps and tricks mastered?

If the quality of the GNex is any indicator, brand should matter to the latter group very little indeed.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Do we really need yet another OS?
    How do you think so?

Quote Originally Posted by pkcable View Post
    Do we really need yet another OS?
    Software market never was and will ask this question. If they have chance to independent themselves then they will do it. Remember it's not Android competing with iOS (as lot of people think) it's multiple device competing with each other no matter the OS, what Google only gets here new users addicting themselves to there services.

I'm curious as to why people think Samsung is so popular. I really don't see anything truly outstanding about their phones that would cause me to change from Android if they change to Tizen. For myself the biggest advantage is they still have removable batteries and Verizon LTE. I'm not sure if the majority of people follow that view since it seems like all the other manufacturers are going to fixed batteries but what else does a Galaxy S3 have over a Droid RAZR MAXX, or an HTC DNA? The US version of the S3 is dual core so it isn't processor. Can't be TouchWiz because most would prefer stock Android. One could say it is all the advertising but I don't think it would have such an effect if the tech editors didn't also say the S3 was a great phone.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    I'm curious as to why people think Samsung is so popular. I really don't see anything truly outstanding about their phones that would cause me to change from Android if they change to Tizen. For myself the biggest advantage is they still have removable batteries and Verizon LTE. I'm not sure if the majority of people follow that view since it seems like all the other manufacturers are going to fixed batteries but what else does a Galaxy S3 have over a Droid RAZR MAXX, or an HTC DNA? The US version of the S3 is dual core so it isn't processor. Can't be TouchWiz because most would prefer stock Android. One could say it is all the advertising but I don't think it would have such an effect if the tech editors didn't also say the S3 was a great phone.
    Because the specs don't matter that much to regular people. The marketing campaign for the Galaxy S3 and Note 2 have been excellent. They've made those devices into devices that regular people want.

They don't care about processor cores.

They don't care about stock Android.

The S III is a great phone that was marketed well.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    Oh son your views are skewed in so many ways.

Like ry said the 99% won't care what's under the hood and that dual core is still outselling all those quads at a rapid pace to prove it.

Most people who don't mod and even some that do love touchwiz its been praised as one of the most user friendly overlays. I hate it personally but we are not the 99%.

Tech editors are not what people should use to guage popularity.

Samsung's marketing has been fantastic if other OEM's advertised half as much they might actually start selling lol. You underestimate this idiotbox generation.

Sent from my refrigerator

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Tizen itself has potential, how much remains to be seen. I think if Sammy does it right everyone else may have a run for their money.

Sent from my refrigerator

ROM
    Viper

I personally see no brand loyalty to Samsung what so ever. Everyone I know that has an s3 or note just got them cause they were the coolest thing or the coolest thing with android. No one I know cares a flying flip about Samsung as a company. I do however know several moto and htc loyalists. Samsung has made far to many far too crapy phones in the last several years to get any real brand loyalty going. If they make a total switch, I see it going badly for them...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Default Odp: Samsung Confirms Tizen Phones for 2013, what is your opinion?

On quick look its system that use javascript (not Java, those are 2 diffrent things) as main code languege , its quite interesting idea as js is very flexable code, but down side is preformence. Ofcorse there also option for native app same as in android.

The main aspect that will decide on success will be app selection, here where tizen might have same problem as Windows Phone, considering it wont have much users. Taizen will need to atract devs somehow, or else it wont start up. So i would not panic, keep in mind Samsung also selling windows phones with there Ativ line and it didnt danger Android so far ; p
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    I personally see no brand loyalty to Samsung what so ever. Everyone I know that has an s3 or note just got them cause they were the coolest thing or the coolest thing with android. No one I know cares a flying flip about Samsung as a company. I do however know several moto and htc loyalists. Samsung has made far to many far too crapy phones in the last several years to get any real brand loyalty going. If they make a total switch, I see it going badly for them...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    The current market share numbers show tons of people buying Samsung devices.

The 2015 product line (S5, Note 4?) will really show how strong the loyalty is.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The current market share numbers show tons of people buying Samsung devices.

The 2015 product line (S5, Note 4?) will really show how strong the loyalty is.
    But current popularity does not mean brand loyalty. Brand loyalty would mean they could do something radical(like completely switching os) and a very large selection or their user base would follow no questions asked.

Apple is a company that has very good brand loyalty. It's users follow it around just cause it's apple.

Moto was another one in the past from the "our radios are the best" days.

I just don't see ppl buying Samsung primarily because it's Samsung. It they came out with a crappie device. It would tank. If apple comes out with a crappie device, it may not sell well, but it will still sell decently crappie or not.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

But current popularity does not mean brand loyalty. Brand loyalty would mean they could do something radical(like completely switching os) and a very large selection or their user base would follow no questions asked.

Apple is a company that has very good brand loyalty. It's users follow it around just cause it's apple.

I just don't see ppl buying Samsung primarily because it's Samsung. It they came out with a crappie device. It would tank. If apple comes out with a crappie device, it may not sell well, but it will still sell decently crappie or not.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Based on this site, there seems to be a good number switching from iOS to the S3 or Note 2. Because of the two-year contracts here in the US, I think the S5 and Note 4 will be a good indicator of Samsung's brand loyalty.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Samsung is most popular Android OEM for a reason so i think they got power to make people folow thwm whatever happens, keep in mind the main sales figures are made by casuals not people like as that care what system they have and what it can do as long it's cool and new shiny OS might be plus.... but at the end they unpredictable.

But it would be bad idea to throw themselves on unknown waters with new system and throw away Android, i bet they will just make new line of phones for Tizen as they did with Windows Phone 8 to check how it will sell. As long as androids provide some good exlusive apps and will be that port of iOS app market Samsung will try to stay connected. So again don't panic both Samsung and HTC do other OS phones for long time and it didn't effect what they do with Android.
    Ry likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Thanks for all your response. Nice job.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Thank you for sharing these useful information. Really nice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12