Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Default Samsung Confirms Tizen Phones for 2013, what is your opinion?

People may have been used to Samsung smartphone runs on Google’s Android Operating System or the latest windows phone 8, so would you even consider buying a smartphone running on Tizen backed by Intel Corp as its operating system? Yes, according to the news from businessweek, Samsung is going to sell Tizen-Based Handsets this year to reduce its reliance on Google Inc.’s Android operating system after the tech company acquired Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. for $12.5 billion in May.

Source:

But do we really need another smartphone OS? Will you buy one? It was also said that Ubuntu, Firefox line up to take on iOS, Android in 2013. What is your opinion? Is android in danger?
    I like android and will stay with android in the future.

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Default Re: Samsung Confirms Tizen Phones for 2013, what is your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by zwj1234 View Post
    People may have been used to Samsung smartphone runs on Google’s Android Operating System or the latest windows phone 8, so would you even consider buying a smartphone running on Tizen backed by Intel Corp as its operating system? Yes, according to the news from businessweek, Samsung is going to sell Tizen-Based Handsets this year to reduce its reliance on Google Inc.’s Android operating system after the tech company acquired Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. for $12.5 billion in May.

Source:

But do we really need another smartphone OS? Will you buy one? It was also said that Ubuntu, Firefox line up to take on iOS, Android in 2013. What is your opinion? Is android in danger?
    I like android and will stay with android in the future.
    I'd be willing to bet if they have a decent amount of success with the tizen os, Samsung will buy it and pull an iOS.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Samsung has three options.

- continue supporting Android, Windows Phone, and Tizen

- fork Android like Amazon (Samsung would have a chance to own the ecosystem here)

- migrate from Android to Tizen (Samsung would have a chance to own the ecosystem here too)

Owning the ecosystem could be key to future success.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Samsung has three options.

- continue supporting Android, Windows Phone, and Tizen

- fork Android like Amazon (Samsung would have a chance to own the ecosystem here)

- migrate from Android to Tizen (Samsung would have a chance to own the ecosystem here too)

Owning the ecosystem could be key to future success.

I agree but wouldn't samsung make more money selling phones on 3 different Os

My Precious....Note2

I think Samsung overestimates the user loyalty to their phones. I don't think many people buy their phones solely because they are Samsung, they buy them first because they are Android and second because of the features they offer. But if they go to a whole new ecosystem with little app support I don't think so. Most don't even like Sense and would prefer stock Android let alone go completely Samsung. They tolerate Sense so they can get the phone on the carrier they prefer or hardware features/design they want. For instance personally I like phones with removable batteries which eliminates HTC, LG, Motorola and I prefer vanilla Android rather than Sense so have a Galaxy Nexus. I'd tolerate Sense to get a Note 2 for the larger screen and ability to do multi-window but I certainly wouldn't consider it if it didn't use Android.
    randall2580 and Persill like this.

I had no idea Sammy was working on their very own OS. I think its great that there will be even more choices for the consumer; however, android OS doesent need more competition i wanted to see it keep growing and slowly pushing iOS out. Before it was something like Android and Windows VS. iOS, but this could leave the OSs in some big free for all! Which means even more competition and possibly even less support for individual devices .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

On one hand there was Bada, and now there is no Bada. But on the other hand I heard that Samsung is planning to use Tizen not only on phones but on TV and other devices as well. In order to create huge ecosystem connecting differend devices. I believe Tizen may actually have some solid reasons for implementation.

Quote Originally Posted by Areplat View Post
    On one hand there was Bada, and now there is no Bada. But on the other hand I heard that Samsung is planning to use Tizen not only on phones but on TV and other devices as well. In order to create huge ecosystem connecting differend devices. I believe Tizen may actually have some solid reasons for implementation.
    Problem is you'd have to buy all your appliances/devices from a single vendor. Seems like this has been tried several times and failed. At lease Android has a chance of being adopted by multiple companies (LG, Panasonic) and has Google to support the software. I don't know whatever became of Android@Home though. Haven't heard anything about it since the 2011 Google I/O. Maybe acquiring Motorola to help with the hardware side will help push that along. Seems like they shouldn't have sold the cable box business though. Seems like and Android based Cable Box would have made a great central controller for the home for A/V distribution, internet gateway and home automation.
    LG to intro its line of connected home appliances at CES 2013

Panasonic turns to Android to control its smart appliances

ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

Samsung sees that apple does it and makes money at it. Apple has a monopoly on their products and charges through the nose for them. That is why I went to android.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    Problem is you'd have to buy all your appliances/devices from a single vendor. Seems like this has been tried several times and failed. At lease Android has a chance of being adopted by multiple companies (LG, Panasonic) and has Google to support the software. I don't know whatever became of Android@Home though. Haven't heard anything about it since the 2011 Google I/O. Maybe acquiring Motorola to help with the hardware side will help push that along. Seems like they shouldn't have sold the cable box business though. Seems like and Android based Cable Box would have made a great central controller for the home for A/V distribution, internet gateway and home automation.
    LG to intro its line of connected home appliances at CES 2013

Panasonic turns to Android to control its smart appliances
    Note: Google sold off Motorola Mobility's set-top box division.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Note: Google sold off Motorola Mobility's set-top box division.

That's why I said:
    "Seems like they shouldn't have sold the cable box business though"

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I don't see the point in Tizen as I didn't see anything in Bada. Just to minor and just for like chineese market or something. I like more OS's though like Windows Phone, BB10, and Ubuntu all have a chance. But Tizen, Firefox, and Sailfish... could prove me wrong but seems half-baked.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TechTinker View Post
    I don't see the point in Tizen as I didn't see anything in Bada. Just to minor and just for like chineese market or something. I like more OS's though like Windows Phone, BB10, and Ubuntu all have a chance. But Tizen, Firefox, and Sailfish... could prove me wrong but seems half-baked.
    Well the Chinese market is huge.

IMO, anything not tied to a hardware maker is DOA - I'm looking at you Ubuntu Mobile, Firefox OS, and Sailfish.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Samsung sees that apple does it and makes money at it. Apple has a monopoly on their products and charges through the nose for them. That is why I went to android.

Yep, That is the same reason I went to android.

This gives Google the go ahead to use its Moto purchase to build its own hardware now. To me it is the perfect opportunity. Besides most of us are sick with Samsung and the others putting so much junk on each phone instead of pure android.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anjali_jain View Post
    This gives Google the go ahead to use its Moto purchase to build its own hardware now. To me it is the perfect opportunity. Besides most of us are sick with Samsung and the others putting so much junk on each phone instead of pure android.
    Most?

Samsung can't hear you. They're too busy selling tons of phones. http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...new-apple.html
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Thanked by:
    sledge007 and The Real X Dawg like this.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Most?

Samsung can't hear you. They're too busy selling tons of phones. http://forums.androidcentral.com/and...new-apple.html
    We should admit that Samsung make a big success in 2012. And this may last longer in the future.

I went with Samsung because it made the GNex, not because it was a Samsung. Now, after a year with it, I'll go with whomever makes the next Nexus. I'm not impressed with Samsung and certainly couldn't care less about any third rate "me too" OS like Tizen or WP.
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zwj1234 View Post
    We should admit that Samsung make a big success in 2012. And this may last longer in the future.
    Samsung is the top dog and will continue to be the top dog for awhile.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Tizen as an os has a ton of potential. I don't know how big it will get though as android and apple currently are on peoples minds. They would have to really bring something to the table. Another thing would be app developers how will Samsung entice them over?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,207 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by STC09 View Post
    I went with Samsung because it made the GNex, not because it was a Samsung. Now, after a year with it, I'll go with whomever makes the next Nexus. I'm not impressed with Samsung and certainly couldn't care less about any third rate "me too" OS like Tizen or WP.
    Brand matters to people.

Just like the Nexus brand matters to you, there are those that will only buy a Samsung phone, or a Motorola phone, or an HTC phone.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by anjali_jain View Post
    But Google has no business and no obvious desire to get into the hardware business. Every bit of hardware have had made has been development base except for tablets, and those were arguably to set an example of quality in the market. Even the Google fiber in Kansas City is in no way them jumping into the broadband market. They just want the us to wake up and realize that we have some of the crappiest Internet in the developed world and push the real providers to upgrade. It's pretty obvious that their margins on the entire nexus line are low to nonexistent, and that is because hardware is not how they make money.

EVERYTHING Google does is centered around getting ppl to use their services and see their ads. This is the reason for Android. Better Internet availability means they make more money. Us enjoying it is a pleasant byproduct

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Samsung is the top dog and will continue to be the top dog for awhile.
    Yes, I totally agree with you.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Tizen as an os has a ton of potential. I don't know how big it will get though as android and apple currently are on peoples minds. They would have to really bring something to the table. Another thing would be app developers how will Samsung entice them over?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Just like what you say, in my eyes Tizen has a ton of potential too. Let us wait to see ..
    CrackBerrian

Global Posts
    30,840 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0, iOS 5.1, BB10

Do we really need yet another OS?
    Rich C. (PKcable)

Visitor from CrackBerry.com!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast