So what does everyone think of Tegra 4?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Well as many people know it was announced hours ago, the rumoured specs were true. We are seeing a quad core A15 processor and a whopping 72gpu cores. If you want to know how fast the gpu really is, it is twice as fast as the gpu in the nexus 10, pretty fast huh?

Also nvidia showed off the new dead trigger 2 game on the tegra 4 to show how well the performance is, and wow its amazing!

So who will be getting a device with tegra 4? Or who is going for something else like a new Exynos 5 Quad?

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty excited to see Tegra 4 and Shield. I don't know if I would get one of their devices or not (it's tough to guess exactly what will come to market) although I'm sure I would be happy with one :)

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The test comparing it to the dam the nexus 10 was unfair.

Everybody knows that chrome is buggy and slower. I just put up with it because my bookmarks and tabs sync together ever so nicely =)

The dead trigger was buggy on the tegra 4. They didn't actually show proper benchmarking either. I don't think it is all that and I think Samsung exynos 5 quad - a15 quad that should be coming out in the s3 will be faster and also better in gaming if it includes a newer gpu than the mail 604.

Impressive nonetheless and I can't wait to see phones and tablets start to use quad a15's! I really hope we get 64gb standard storage now and micro sd card slots across all devices. What's the point of such a lovely screen if you can't put lots of tv shows, pictures and movies on it?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
However I got a feeling we wont be seeing quad a15 in many smartphones, they are going to need a hell of a battery to power 2gb+ ram, as well as lte, quad 15 chip and a powerful gpu.

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
S4 pro is in quite a few smartphones and it is a quad a15.

Nexus 4 and the LG optimum g are amongst the ones that have it. Battery life is fine, although there's not much performance difference from the quad a9 in the s3 and note 2 - exynos 4412.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Nexus 4 and the LG optimum g are amongst the ones that have it. Battery life is fine, although there's not much performance difference from the quad a9 in the s3 and note 2 - exynos 4412.

The s4 isnt a15 lol, its qualcomms own chip that is supposedly meant to have the same performance as the a15 but it hasnt, far from it. Look at geekbench, a proper cpu benchmark that uses the full extent of a processor. Dual A15 in nexus 10 gets about 2700-3000, Quad S4 gets 2000. So the nexus 10 has 2 less cores and performs about 50% better than the s4. Between the S4 and Quad A9 there isnt a lot of difference in performance, but A15 and S4 there will be alot of difference.

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The s4 pro* is an adapted a15 quad. Geek bench doesn't measure the true performance accurately for the new a15's.
By many people it's pretty much considered an a15 since that's what it's based on.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes it does very accurately, it gets around 3000 which is a significantly high score, like I said its based on an a15 but not technically the same power as the a15

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Look, if you check out the benchmark tests for the HTC DROID dna and the LG optimus g you'll see how it is more powerful in quite a few different tests other than geek bench results in regards to other top smartphones. I'm telling you that Geek bench isn't very accurate when it comes to testing a15's. You have to look at lots of different benchmarking tests before you make the s4 pro seem much lesser than it really is.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough but you cant base your tests on quadrant or antutu, both of these benchmarking tools havent been optimised for the A15 therefore it doesnt perform well in those 2, when you see it optimised you will see 8K+ on quadrant, and 16K+ antutu

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
You just repeated what I said, you do realise that right?.............

I did say that you must use a wider range of benchmarking apps. Really don't understand you. Read what you write before you post.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Lol I didnt say what you said? Geekbench has been fully optimised for the A15, thats why it scores so high, once quadrant and antutu get fully optimised you will see a dramatic INCREASE! So if your thinking a15 doesnt perform well on geekbench then when you say it will them it'll score higher than what it gets now?

So basically no matter what happens its more powerful than the S4 however many benchmarks aren't optimised for 4.2.1 and A15. Other than Geekbench lol

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
'Read what you write before you post' take a leaf out of your own book, 'S4 uses the A15 chip'. LOL no it doesnt so read before you write. Did you know apple use android on the iphone? Not optimised yet tho...

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
That really didn't make much sense, people use android on their apple phone?

Also I repeat, many people regard the s4 pro as a quad a15 since it's pretty darn similar and is based on one.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I definitely want a Tega 4 device. Better be htc too lol. And they better fix that heat issue, my one x+ used to Hey extremely warm when playing a Tega 3 game (or any hd game for that matter)

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Everybody knows that chrome is buggy and slower. I just put up with it because my bookmarks and tabs sync together ever so nicely =)

The dead trigger was buggy on the tegra 4. They didn't actually show proper benchmarking either. I don't think it is all that and I think Samsung exynos 5 quad - a15 quad that should be coming out in the s3 will be faster and also better in gaming if it includes a newer gpu than the mail 604.

Impressive nonetheless and I can't wait to see phones and tablets start to use quad a15's! I really hope we get 64gb standard storage now and micro sd card slots across all devices. What's the point of such a lovely screen if you can't put lots of tv shows, pictures and movies on it?

But Chrome is the STOCK browser, which was the point. It doesn't matter if it's buggy. If it's buggy and that makes it load slower then Google needs to fix it. I'm surprised nobody noticed that they didn't say what the resolution of the Tegra 4 tablet was (hint: pretty sure it was the same, I'm here, and I asked, but it couldn't be "confirmed")

It isn't A15, and it isn't based on A15. A15 is an architecture that is licensed by manufacturers to use. Qualcomm is an instruction set licensee, which means what they do is design a chip that can execute all of the ARM instructions that would be used by an OS. In the case of the S4 Pro, it's the ArmV7 instruction set. They are pluses and minuses to their method. The big plus is that they can tailor their architecture more towards phones and tablets, while the generic A15 is a more general purpose ARM chip that can be used in anything. The big minus is that it's slower than a pure A15 chip. Qualcomm will say it's negligible, and I'm not going to argue that here really (I've already done it in many other threads), but they also claim better battery life because of the optimization of the hardware for the specific use in phones/tablets. I can say that owning a phone with the dual-core S4 they are really efficient and my battery life is great.

What I want to see is battery life on Tegra 4. Improvements in this area are almost a necessity these days.

Project Shield was badass, and nVidia honestly stole the show with it. A couple things that were impressive:

1) They were playing all those games at 4K resolution. It was smooth. SOOOO smooth. Impressive.
2) Streaming a game from your PC is cool. I didn't see any lag between what was done on the controls of the Shield and what happened on the screen. Remember, in this mode all the Shield is doing is funneling video. The real work is still happening on your PC.
3) All of the video from the Shield to the tv was broadcast wirelessly. The HDMI cable was only used for Ethernet. Yes, HDMI 1.4a supports that.
4) The ports on the back are standard ports. No slimport or MHL here.
5) No, I didn't get to play with one. But word on the street is that they are just as impressive in person.

Also, another note about Tegra 4. Don't overlook the HDR processing that they talked about. I can't tell you how many times we were walking around taking pictures and we said "we really need Tegra 4 HDR to get that picture better". It's one of those you don't think about, but then when you see it done "right" you wish you had it right away. And yeah, I also noticed that it was an Android OS on what appeared to be a Windows tablet. No clue what that's about, but the hardware was an engineering sample designed to just show off the platform and not represent a real product.

Jen-Hsun also slipped and used the code-name Thor when he meant Shield, and tried to play it off like it was a mistake. I now want to know what Thor is. :p (nVidia likes to use super hero codenames for stuff)

So yeah, I might be the Tegra Champ, but even if I wasn't I would be extremely impressed with what we saw from nVidia at CES. Now I just want to see it in the real world and see what it's really capable of.

Last edited:

keyan333

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I don't really like the idea of that sort of handheld gaming. The screen is rather small and most games would be much better suited playing them on a gaming pc.

No solid specs of the tegra 4 have been released yet so I'm not making any judgements just yet since I haven't seen it in person either. I liked the idea of a separate core for times when you're not using it heavily. Dead trigger 2 was lagging in the demo, but I'm sure it's just to do with it being a pre-release, okay fine..... I hope :p

Just wondering - are you a reporter? If so what magazine/video reviewing channel?

I would like to go to CES one day, just been too busy. Will try to go in a couple of years :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

To be honest I don't really like the idea of that sort of handheld gaming. The screen is rather small and most games would be much better suited playing them on a gaming pc.

No solid specs of the tegra 4 have been released yet so I'm not making any judgements just yet since I haven't seen it in person either. I liked the idea of a separate core for times when you're not using it heavily. Dead trigger 2 was lagging in the demo, but I'm sure it's just to do with it being a pre-release, okay fine..... I hope :p

Just wondering - are you a reporter? If so what magazine/video reviewing channel?

I would like to go to CES one day, just been too busy. Will try to go in a couple of years :)

I'm just a guy, no official capacity of any type. When you say handheld gaming what do you mean? When you're streaming your game from your computer to your tv all the Shield is doing is streaming and controlling the game. Your tv is still the display. What solid specs weren't there? 72 GPU cores, 4 Arm15 cores, and one smaller low power core. Clock speed? They didn't say, but honestly it doesn't matter at this point. They talked a lot about performance relative to other platforms. That should be more than enough information to go on without any other specs.

I'm not sure the lag on the game was actual lag, or part of the game, or maybe because it was preproduction. I say that because it wasn't lag like we normally think of it. Thinks responded to the controls exactly when they were supposed to. It almost looked like a slow motion effect, and it was more noticeable in the boxing game. I didn't see it at all in Dead Trigger 2.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is false, as Kevin is officially awesome!!! Yeah i know its early get off my back :D

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Thanks!

And my statement wasn't completely true. I'm the Tegra Champ. But if you really my posts that doesn't make me biased. (you'll have to go back to before I was the champ to see that) (and i've still had negative things to say about tegra from time to time)

I do think nvidia is doing it right. They made a powerful chip AND are using the power. Full time HDR is intense. It NEEDS lots of power. Tegra games are going to get much better now, too, and they are already good IMHO.

Samsung did BIG.little, but remember that nvidia did it first. :p

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01