Whats everyone think of the Exynos 5 octa?

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
So Samsung have announced the Exynos 5 octa, it consists of 8 whopping cores. Samsung has used Arms big.little technology, this means there will be 4 powerful A15 cores for high usage/gaming and then another seperate 4 A7 cores for simple things like browsing the web or playing music.

The Exynos 5 is aimed to consume 70% less power than the Exynos 4, thus aiding battery life. The Exynos 5 octo is built on the 28nm process and therefore is smaller, uses less power and improves performance.

At the moment the gpu is unknown, but we will either see the same gpu that was in the Nexus 10 but maybe clocked higher. Or the newer Mali-T658. We will have to find out in the near future.

Anyway this is one beast of a chip, easily competing with the Tegra 4, who else thinks this is one hell of a chip?

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
So Samsung have announced the Exynos 5 octa, it consists of 8 whopping cores. Samsung has used Arms big.little technology, this means there will be 4 powerful A15 cores for high usage/gaming and then another seperate 4 A7 cores for simple things like browsing the web or playing music.

The Exynos 5 is aimed to consume 70% less power than the Exynos 4, thus aiding battery life. The Exynos 5 octo is built on the 28nm process and therefore is smaller, uses less power and improves performance.

At the moment the gpu is unknown, but we will either see the same gpu that was in the Nexus 10 but maybe clocked higher. Or the newer Mali-T658. We will have to find out in the near future.

Anyway this is one beast of a chip, easily competing with the Tegra 4, who else thinks this is one hell of a chip?

I do and I can't wait for s4 ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I get what they're doing, but I want to see it in real life. 4 Arm7 cores on the little side seems kinda ridiculous. I'm sure it'll be fast, though.

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I suppose, but the a15 cores kick in even if there is the slightest increase in performance or usage. Like you said it'll be fast enough and I dont think samsung would make a chip like this and it be rubbish. They kniw what theyre doing.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I do and I can't wait for s4 ;)

Hmm do you really think Samsung could put this in the s4 with 3gigs of ram and still be able to have the carriers that do subsidized plans sell them at 200 for the basic model.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hmm do you really think Samsung could put this in the s4 with 3gigs of ram and still be able to have the carriers that do subsidized plans sell them at 200 for the basic model.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Who said anything about 3gbs of RAM?

The real problem, like with everything else, is what to do with the power. That's a serious question.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Im thinking an upgraded faster ddr3 2gb ram, doubt 3gb, maybe it'll shock us and be 3Gb but highly doubt it

It's the same type of RAM that's in the Tegra 4. Dual-channel LP-DDR2 I think. I have a crappy internet connection right now so I can't really check. But I know for sure it's the same as Tegra 4.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD

Photon4glover

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
Idk maybe they'll have a toned down version in the s4 to keep price down but hey who knows? I have a good feeling about s4 being an amazing phone after major success with s3 I think they will want to hit Apple even harder! Hopefully

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
LULZ at this having an older GPU than what's in the new iPad. I'm sold on Tegra 4 now, regardless of battery life. I'll deal with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol