1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Whats everyone think of the Exynos 5 octa?

So Samsung have announced the Exynos 5 octa, it consists of 8 whopping cores. Samsung has used Arms big.little technology, this means there will be 4 powerful A15 cores for high usage/gaming and then another seperate 4 A7 cores for simple things like browsing the web or playing music.

The Exynos 5 is aimed to consume 70% less power than the Exynos 4, thus aiding battery life. The Exynos 5 octo is built on the 28nm process and therefore is smaller, uses less power and improves performance.

At the moment the gpu is unknown, but we will either see the same gpu that was in the Nexus 10 but maybe clocked higher. Or the newer Mali-T658. We will have to find out in the near future.

Anyway this is one beast of a chip, easily competing with the Tegra 4, who else thinks this is one hell of a chip?

Default Re: Whats everyone think of the Exynos 5 octa?

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    So Samsung have announced the Exynos 5 octa, it consists of 8 whopping cores. Samsung has used Arms big.little technology, this means there will be 4 powerful A15 cores for high usage/gaming and then another seperate 4 A7 cores for simple things like browsing the web or playing music.

The Exynos 5 is aimed to consume 70% less power than the Exynos 4, thus aiding battery life. The Exynos 5 octo is built on the 28nm process and therefore is smaller, uses less power and improves performance.

At the moment the gpu is unknown, but we will either see the same gpu that was in the Nexus 10 but maybe clocked higher. Or the newer Mali-T658. We will have to find out in the near future.

Anyway this is one beast of a chip, easily competing with the Tegra 4, who else thinks this is one hell of a chip?
    I do and I can't wait for s4

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,898 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I get what they're doing, but I want to see it in real life. 4 Arm7 cores on the little side seems kinda ridiculous. I'm sure it'll be fast, though.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I suppose, but the a15 cores kick in even if there is the slightest increase in performance or usage. Like you said it'll be fast enough and I dont think samsung would make a chip like this and it be rubbish. They kniw what theyre doing.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by Photon4glover View Post
    I do and I can't wait for s4

Hmm do you really think Samsung could put this in the s4 with 3gigs of ram and still be able to have the carriers that do subsidized plans sell them at 200 for the basic model.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,898 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    Hmm do you really think Samsung could put this in the s4 with 3gigs of ram and still be able to have the carriers that do subsidized plans sell them at 200 for the basic model.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Who said anything about 3gbs of RAM?

The real problem, like with everything else, is what to do with the power. That's a serious question.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Im thinking an upgraded faster ddr3 2gb ram, doubt 3gb, maybe it'll shock us and be 3Gb but highly doubt it
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,898 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidS3 View Post
    Im thinking an upgraded faster ddr3 2gb ram, doubt 3gb, maybe it'll shock us and be 3Gb but highly doubt it
    It's the same type of RAM that's in the Tegra 4. Dual-channel LP-DDR2 I think. I have a crappy internet connection right now so I can't really check. But I know for sure it's the same as Tegra 4.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk HD
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Oh right I thought they were opting for ddr3?

Idk maybe they'll have a toned down version in the s4 to keep price down but hey who knows? I have a good feeling about s4 being an amazing phone after major success with s3 I think they will want to hit Apple even harder! Hopefully

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,898 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

LULZ at this having an older GPU than what's in the new iPad. I'm sold on Tegra 4 now, regardless of battery life. I'll deal with it.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Agreed!