Recommend a charger?

Towelette

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Have four kids and a wife, and a lot of devices that go with them. Finding out we don't have enough chargers for all of our devices, wondering if you could recommend some chargers that you have used besides the ones that come in the box. We do have tablets, phones, and ereaders, so having one that could do all would be awesome. Thanks all.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been looking, thus far unsuccessfully, for a single plug charger with multiple (say, 5?) charge cords emanating from a single plug.

Given that we only need 2 amps/5 volts for each device, this should be easily doable -- yet I am still stuck carrying five separate charge cords everywhere.

Anyone found such a cord?

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Nope. Here is what I want:

1. A single wall plug.
2. Leading to a single transformer.
3. From that single transformer I want five separate charge cords with the male micro-USB ends, ready to be inserted into any Android device.
4. Each cord should put out the full charge for a tablet -- and it should handle five devices plugged in simultaneously.

This device would be SO handy when traveling, and you can't find five empty outlets in the hotel room!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok the what's the real difference between what you describe and what I post, I am seriously curious.

You bring the cord for whatever device, one outlet is used for four devices.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok the what's the real difference between what you describe and what I post, I am seriously curious.

You bring the cord for whatever device, one outlet is used for four devices.

1. I need to plug in 5 separate cords.
2. It's bulky.
3. It doesn't output enough wattage to charge tablets.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Here is what I want:

1. A single wall plug.
2. Leading to a single transformer.
3. From that single transformer I want five separate charge cords with the male micro-USB ends, ready to be inserted into any Android device.
4. Each cord should put out the full charge for a tablet -- and it should handle five devices plugged in simultaneously.

This device would be SO handy when traveling, and you can't find five empty outlets in the hotel room!

So you want 5 2A chargers in one plug? Wall outlets are limited to 15A max, so good luck with that.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
1. I need to plug in 5 separate cords.
2. It's bulky.
3. It doesn't output enough wattage to charge tablets.

1. You really only need to plug the cords in once. After that, you're going to carry the charger and 5 cords around whether they're built in or not.
2. I doubt you'd be able to build anything much smaller that puts out enough current to charge 5 devices. It's a lot smaller than 5 separate chargers.
3. True, but there doesn't seem to exist exactly what you're looking for. Perhaps this is a viable compromise.

So you want 5 2A chargers in one plug? Wall outlets are limited to 15A max, so good luck with that.

Last time I checked, 5x2 = 10, which is less than 15. But a 10 amp charger would be considerably larger and heavier than this one, which jj thinks is already too big. Too many people don't understand physics.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
1. You really only need to plug the cords in once. After that, you're going to carry the charger and 5 cords around whether they're built in or not.
2. I doubt you'd be able to build anything much smaller that puts out enough current to charge 5 devices. It's a lot smaller than 5 separate chargers.
3. True, but there doesn't seem to exist exactly what you're looking for. Perhaps this is a viable compromise.

Last time I checked, 5x2 = 10, which is less than 15. But a 10 amp charger would be considerably larger and heavier than this one, which jj thinks is already too big. Too many people don't understand physics.

I understand physics just fine. I'm also fairly good at math. You will have heat problems pulling that much juice.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I understand physics just fine. I'm also fairly good at math. You will have heat problems pulling that much juice.

Kevin I don't follow you around or anything, but it is amazing how many times recently that your basic skills have been called into question recently.

Did you piss off a teacher or something and the are now stalking you?

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

Um, 5 x 2 = 10. Should be no problem.

As for heat, well, my laptop's charge cord transformer puts out 65 watts, 18 volts, 3.5 amps, and runs cool enough.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
So you want this:

enehubaz.jpg

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Kevin I don't follow you around or anything, but it is amazing how many times recently that your basic skills have been called into question recently.

Did you piss off a teacher or something and the are now stalking you?

What do you mean?

Um, 5 x 2 = 10. Should be no problem.

As for heat, well, my laptop's charge cord transformer puts out 65 watts, 18 volts, 3.5 amps, and runs cool enough.

It's also much larger. My laptop charger puts out 9.5A at 19V. If I'm using it at the same time as charging it gets HOT.

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean?

It's also much larger. My laptop charger puts out 9.5A at 19V. If I'm using it at the same time as charging it gets HOT.

Okay, so the doohickey I want would get hot if all five cords were in use? That's fine.

It seems like an obvious accessory that someone could make big bucks selling. The last time we were in a hotel, the three of us completely ran the room out of available outlets, charging our multiple Android devices. We've talked about carrying a power strip on our next vacation.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so the doohickey I want would get hot if all five cords were in use? That's fine.

It seems like an obvious accessory that someone could make big bucks selling. The last time we were in a hotel, the three of us completely ran the room out of available outlets, charging our multiple Android devices. We've talked about carrying a power strip on our next vacation.

I think that's what most people do. There are companies that make travel size power strips.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I sell a neat, nifty device that:

1. Can charge phones (and other electronics) wirelessly
2. Can play music wirelessly
3. Can take calls hands-free

I do not post links due to forum rules/regulation. Just send me a PM if you guys are interested :)

jjhoneck

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I think that's what most people do. There are companies that make travel size power strips.

I know -- but what a stupid pain in the butt it is.

Example: On this last trip with our daughter, we had six Android devices and a laptop to charge.

That's six separate micro-USB charge cords (plus the laptop) to haul around. And, of course, there isn't a hotel room in the world with six empty outlets.

A real multi-charger is a device that is screaming to be invented.