Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Recommend a charger?

Have four kids and a wife, and a lot of devices that go with them. Finding out we don't have enough chargers for all of our devices, wondering if you could recommend some chargers that you have used besides the ones that come in the box. We do have tablets, phones, and ereaders, so having one that could do all would be awesome. Thanks all.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Recommend a charger?

for just charging, you can go down to your local computer store and pick up a USB cable.

Make sure it fits and you shouldnt spend more than 7$ for it. That is just the cable, I am not sure what the block that goes into the socket costs or a complete kit. I only buy the cables, have plenty of the blocks.

Here is one from Wal-mart:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The Blackberry Playbook charger is the absolute best charger you can buy. It charges EVERYTHING.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

I have been looking, thus far unsuccessfully, for a single plug charger with multiple (say, 5?) charge cords emanating from a single plug.

Given that we only need 2 amps/5 volts for each device, this should be easily doable -- yet I am still stuck carrying five separate charge cords everywhere.

Anyone found such a cord?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

like this?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thanks for the input guys, ordered 3 of the playbook chargers, really great reviews on them.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post

like this?
    Nope. Here is what I want:

1. A single wall plug.
    2. Leading to a single transformer.
    3. From that single transformer I want five separate charge cords with the male micro-USB ends, ready to be inserted into any Android device.
    4. Each cord should put out the full charge for a tablet -- and it should handle five devices plugged in simultaneously.

This device would be SO handy when traveling, and you can't find five empty outlets in the hotel room!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Ok the what's the real difference between what you describe and what I post, I am seriously curious.

You bring the cord for whatever device, one outlet is used for four devices.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Ok the what's the real difference between what you describe and what I post, I am seriously curious.

You bring the cord for whatever device, one outlet is used for four devices.

1. I need to plug in 5 separate cords.
    2. It's bulky.
    3. It doesn't output enough wattage to charge tablets.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jjhoneck View Post
    Nope. Here is what I want:

1. A single wall plug.
    2. Leading to a single transformer.
    3. From that single transformer I want five separate charge cords with the male micro-USB ends, ready to be inserted into any Android device.
    4. Each cord should put out the full charge for a tablet -- and it should handle five devices plugged in simultaneously.

This device would be SO handy when traveling, and you can't find five empty outlets in the hotel room!
    So you want 5 2A chargers in one plug? Wall outlets are limited to 15A max, so good luck with that.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

1. I need to plug in 5 separate cords.
    2. It's bulky.
    3. It doesn't output enough wattage to charge tablets.
    1. You really only need to plug the cords in once. After that, you're going to carry the charger and 5 cords around whether they're built in or not.
    2. I doubt you'd be able to build anything much smaller that puts out enough current to charge 5 devices. It's a lot smaller than 5 separate chargers.
    3. True, but there doesn't seem to exist exactly what you're looking for. Perhaps this is a viable compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    So you want 5 2A chargers in one plug? Wall outlets are limited to 15A max, so good luck with that.
    Last time I checked, 5x2 = 10, which is less than 15. But a 10 amp charger would be considerably larger and heavier than this one, which jj thinks is already too big. Too many people don't understand physics.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 01-16-2013 at 06:55 AM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    1. You really only need to plug the cords in once. After that, you're going to carry the charger and 5 cords around whether they're built in or not.
    2. I doubt you'd be able to build anything much smaller that puts out enough current to charge 5 devices. It's a lot smaller than 5 separate chargers.
    3. True, but there doesn't seem to exist exactly what you're looking for. Perhaps this is a viable compromise.

Last time I checked, 5x2 = 10, which is less than 15. But a 10 amp charger would be considerably larger and heavier than this one, which jj thinks is already too big. Too many people don't understand physics.
    I understand physics just fine. I'm also fairly good at math. You will have heat problems pulling that much juice.

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I understand physics just fine. I'm also fairly good at math. You will have heat problems pulling that much juice.

Kevin I don't follow you around or anything, but it is amazing how many times recently that your basic skills have been called into question recently.

Did you **** off a teacher or something and the are now stalking you?

Um, 5 x 2 = 10. Should be no problem.

As for heat, well, my laptop's charge cord transformer puts out 65 watts, 18 volts, 3.5 amps, and runs cool enough.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

So you want this:

AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Kevin I don't follow you around or anything, but it is amazing how many times recently that your basic skills have been called into question recently.

Did you **** off a teacher or something and the are now stalking you?

What do you mean?

Um, 5 x 2 = 10. Should be no problem.

As for heat, well, my laptop's charge cord transformer puts out 65 watts, 18 volts, 3.5 amps, and runs cool enough.
    It's also much larger. My laptop charger puts out 9.5A at 19V. If I'm using it at the same time as charging it gets HOT.

What do you mean?

It's also much larger. My laptop charger puts out 9.5A at 19V. If I'm using it at the same time as charging it gets HOT.

Okay, so the doohickey I want would get hot if all five cords were in use? That's fine.

It seems like an obvious accessory that someone could make big bucks selling. The last time we were in a hotel, the three of us completely ran the room out of available outlets, charging our multiple Android devices. We've talked about carrying a power strip on our next vacation.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Okay, so the doohickey I want would get hot if all five cords were in use? That's fine.

It seems like an obvious accessory that someone could make big bucks selling. The last time we were in a hotel, the three of us completely ran the room out of available outlets, charging our multiple Android devices. We've talked about carrying a power strip on our next vacation.
    I think that's what most people do. There are companies that make travel size power strips.

I sell a neat, nifty device that:

1. Can charge phones (and other electronics) wirelessly
    2. Can play music wirelessly
    3. Can take calls hands-free

I do not post links due to forum rules/regulation. Just send me a PM if you guys are interested

I think that's what most people do. There are companies that make travel size power strips.

I know -- but what a stupid pain in the **** it is.

Example: On this last trip with our daughter, we had six Android devices and a laptop to charge.

That's six separate micro-USB charge cords (plus the laptop) to haul around. And, of course, there isn't a hotel room in the world with six empty outlets.

A real multi-charger is a device that is screaming to be invented.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

So....something like ?

So....something like ?
    Close. Personally, I would eliminate the USB ports to save on the size of the transformer, and just have an octopus of micro-USB charge cords.

Ironically, if you follow the link, the item is discontinued.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,933 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Close. Personally, I would eliminate the USB ports to save on the size of the transformer, and just have an octopus of micro-USB charge cords.

Ironically, if you follow the link, the item is discontinued.
    That article is a few years old. :-P

Sorry, the comment about physics was about the OP, not you. I acknowledge that wasn't clear.

And yes, a 10 amp charger will generate heat, but it's certainly possible. You don't need "good luck" to make it work. Just not in a small package like the OP wants.

It wouldn't just get hot, it would be BIG.And you've already complained that smaller devices are too big. There are options available to meet your needs. They may not be perfect, or exactly what you want, but they'll accomplish more than whining will.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Sorry, the comment about physics was about the OP, not you. I acknowledge that wasn't clear.

And yes, a 10 amp charger will generate heat, but it's certainly possible. You don't need "good luck" to make it work. Just not in a small package like the OP wants.

It wouldn't just get hot, it would be BIG.And you've already complained that smaller devices are too big. There are options available to meet your needs. They may not be perfect, or exactly what you want, but they'll accomplish more than whining will.
    So, to sum up your comments more succinctly, you don't know. Gotcha.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast