Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why no android mini-pc love.

About a week ago I got a GK802 mini-pc with Android. It is pretty slick how well it works. There isn't much it can't do, and being low powered it will safe me a fair amount over my power hungry desktop.

I showed it to a friend, and my folks and both went out and got there own the next day.

i am thinking of getting another for my daughter and attaching it to a small tv. With a wireless keyboard and mouse is great.

Why is there no love for these devices on android central. They are a great example of what can be done with this great open platform

Default Re: Why no android mini-pc love.

Probably because it basically a geek's toy. $100 and you still have to add monitor/screen/TV, keyboard, maybe a mouse and probably buy a sufficiently sized memory card. It's cute and functional, but I don't see this getting any mass attention.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.3
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

It looks like a nice box for a smart TV conversion. My only issue is that it only has 1GB RAM, I'd think they would go to 2GB for a quad core.

I'm starting a project for my church to convert our "smart" Samsung TV into a TV that's actually smart. Skype, YouTube, light surfing.

I think Android sticks are going to get more attention as soon as they package them better, like with a keyboard/mouse. People are getting used to Android on their phones, putting it on their TV is a natural progression. The "stick" format is also familiar since most people who work with computers have used flash drives.

Wow man I come here as a new user and its like I've been living under a rock! How long have android sticks been around? These are probably going to take off just noone knows about them yet.

ROM
    Bamf Paradigm

Agreed--there should be a thread for it. my brother just got the MK812 and wants to throw on 'SixAxisController' onto it for use with emulators & ps3 controllers. I'm looking around for forums and knowledge about the device itself but there isn't any place devoted to it.

I have MK808, and an MK808B on its way (will make a nice Vday present for the gf lol), and I am really enjoying using it. It is bothersome that I can't directly use hulu, but there are ways around that (orb for one). I paid around $60 for each, which is roughly half of what most places want for a basic android set top box, and have all my media streaming using xbmc.

What are you guys using to control? I picked up the iPazzport air mouse the other day and its decent, also using "the official xbmc" remote from my D4 when i am feeling super nerdy lol.
    little known fact, Android is Mastermold's OS ...

Quote Originally Posted by project.in.process View Post
    Agreed--there should be a thread for it. my brother just got the MK812 and wants to throw on 'SixAxisController' onto it for use with emulators & ps3 controllers. I'm looking around for forums and knowledge about the device itself but there isn't any place devoted to it.
    xdadev has a forum dedicated to stick computers: Android Stick Computers