Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google the Search Giant. But why is the very search button removed?

I am on RaZr, guess perhaps one of the last devices to have a 'Search' button.

I am planning to buy a NeXus 4. And I am going to miss the search button. And how. Just wondering what made them ditch it.

Also, on devices that don't haver it, how's does one search? I am in Whatsapp and need to find a contact...on RaZr I hit search. But.on N4?

Sent from my DROID RaZr on JB.

Default Re: Google the Search Giant. But why is the very search button removed?

On JB if you long press the home button it brings up google now(google search)

On current Nexus devices swipe up on the "Home" button.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    On current Nexus devices swipe up on the "Home" button.
    But what does one do in an App. Like, let's say What'sApp? I need to find a contact with M. How do I search?

Quote Originally Posted by X 0 N 0 D E View Post
    But what does one do in an App. Like, let's say What'sApp? I need to find a contact with M. How do I search?
    If Apps would have in the past supported the "Search" button they now have been updated with an in-App button like the Play Store & WhatsApp.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Lanhoj View Post
    If Apps would have in the past supported the "Search" button they now have been updated with an in-App button like the Play Store & WhatsApp.
    This. Applications should be updating their user interfaces to make proper use of the Action Bar to enable search functionality.

Action Bar | Android Developers

Default Odp: Google the Search Giant. But why is the very search button removed?

But as long as SearchView class is only in 3.0 and higher implementing search bar on action bar it pain in back parts without kicking people inprisoned in 2.3, or else they finally throw it to support libery.

But wait... Android still supports search button ; p to make things more fun if your phone have menu button, same as holding home button emulates new recent app button, holding menu button emulates good old search button... it works on my sgs2 even on action bar apps.