Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

GMJeff

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
This should only apply to devices purchased on contract, as the device is technically not paid in full until the contract is expired, or a new one is signed for an upgrade.

If a phone is purchased at full retail price, you should be able to root and rom anything you want without question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This should only apply to devices purchased on contract, as the device is technically not paid in full until the contract is expired, or a new one is signed for an upgrade.

If a phone is purchased at full retail price, you should be able to root and rom anything you want without question.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

This is regarding SIM locks.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The answer is to not buy subsidised handsets, and it?s the availability of un-subsidized phones that convinced the Librarian of Congress to change the rules.

So Google Nexus devices an unlocked handsets in general have pretty much screwed those users that always buy on-contract phones.
With T-Mobile going to non-subsidized phones this year, it will be interesting to see if they still lock them when you buy then on
their separate monthly contract.

Its hard to understand why this story didn't make it to the front page of AC, given the number of AC readers who unlock their phones.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The answer is to not buy subsidised handsets, and it?s the availability of un-subsidized phones that convinced the Librarian of Congress to change the rules.

So Google Nexus devices an unlocked handsets in general have pretty much screwed those users that always buy on-contract phones.
With T-Mobile going to non-subsidized phones this year, it will be interesting to see if they still lock them when you buy then on
their separate monthly contract.

Its hard to understand why this story didn't make it to the front page of AC, given the number of AC readers who unlock their phones.

With T-Mobile moving away from subsidized handsets and separating the cost of a device from the cost of your monthly plan, I can see them implementing a policy where your phone would be locked to T-Mobile until the device is paid off.

ozpain2

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yet another freedom is taken away from us. And I thought making people continue to pay for things they already purchase was a stroke of evil genius. Next we have to pay for data when it was once free, and now we can't unlock our phones? Next we'll be told how to eat our food while being charged per chew! Enough is enough already. :-\

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Unlocking New Mobile Phones Becomes Illegal In the US on 2013/01/26

Yet another freedom is taken away from us. And I thought making people continue to pay for things they already purchase was a stroke of evil genius. Next we have to pay for data when it was once free, and now we can't unlock our phones? Next we'll be told how to eat our food while being charged per chew! Enough is enough already. :-\

When you buy from carrier you dont pay all the cost of phone at once, you pay it in parts as part of your plan, you are obligated to do that by your contract. So its not 100% your phone until your contract ends.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20