Not all Tegra 3's created equal?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have an ASUS Transformer TF300T which has a Tegra 3 chip. I also have a Nexus 7 and an HTC One X+ which all have Tegra 3 chips.

While the ASUS and Nexus get roughly the same score in alot of benchmarks.. e.g, I ran Epic Citadel on all 3 and the ASUS and Nexus both scored over 55 FPS while my HTC scored barely 40FPS. It was this way on multiple runs. I've even noticed it's slower when I game..

Is HTC artificially limiting the speed of the HTC for some specific reason? I'm shocked that games run better on my 2 devices that have bigger screens!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Could be due to Sense, or throttling. Hard to say. But yes, there are definitely multiple SKUs for Tegra 3.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Well the Tegra 3+'s only difference is the inclusion of the LTE modem correct? It's basically the same 4+1 core / 12GPU SoC that's been in existence since the original One X? Can I expect that same SoC (4+1cpu/12gpu) in my phone?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well the Tegra 3+'s only difference is the inclusion of the LTE modem correct? It's basically the same 4+1 core / 12GPU SoC that's been in existence since the original One X? Can I expect that same SoC (4+1cpu/12gpu) in my phone?

I believe the Tegra in the One X+ is the TL-37, which is the fastest variant. Clockspeed is the difference between them all, with an LTE modem integrated for the One X+.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I believe the Tegra in the One X+ is the TL-37, which is the fastest variant. Clockspeed is the difference between them all, with an LTE modem integrated for the One X+.

Clarification: no tegra 3 (or tegra 4 for that matter) has an integrated modem. They're additional chipsets similar to the first round of LTE devices.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Clarification: no tegra 3 (or tegra 4 for that matter) has an integrated modem. They're additional chipsets similar to the first round of LTE devices.

Clarification of your clarification. Tegra 4 most definitely has integrated LTE modem. I was at the press conference when they announced it. Unless we're using the same word (integrated) but different meanings.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So wait, the One X+ doesnt have an integrated modem? How is it so thin? so it's basically a separate chip like the first round of LTE devices like the Bionic, and Thunderbolt, etc.. ?

those devices were thick because of that and had terrible battery life.. how is the One X+ getting around that?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Clarification of your clarification. Tegra 4 most definitely has integrated LTE modem. I was at the press conference when they announced it. Unless we're using the same word (integrated) but different meanings.

It's not. Anandtech got clarification and examined their diagrams, and the modem is still separate. Their diagram showed the chip set with the modem sitting alongside it as a separate unit.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
So wait, the One X+ doesnt have an integrated modem? How is it so thin? so it's basically a separate chip like the first round of LTE devices like the Bionic, and Thunderbolt, etc.. ?

those devices were thick because of that and had terrible battery life.. how is the One X+ getting around that?

Not quite. They weren't thick because of the modem being separate, they were thick because the first batch of modems were built on a much larger architecture.

The Droid RAZR had a separate modem as well, but was built using smaller architecture.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
As an addendum:

By integrated, they refer to the modem being integrated into the processor die. Qualcomm does this with the dual-core S4s. Their S4 pro quad cores, however, use a modem (an MDM9615m, the same as what the iPhone 5 uses) as a standalone part. That is how NVIDIA has packaged the tegra 4 with LTE as well. It comes with LTE, yes. But it is not integrated.

ningque

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Having its Tegra 3 SoC chosen for two platform-defining tablets, the Google Nexus 7 and the Microsoft Surface RT, has got to be one of the highlights of NVIDIA's year. However, the company is not content merely with design wins. akkus-adaprer.com
This is evident from its TegraZone initiative, a one-stop shop for Tegra-optimized games and outright exclusives. Till now restricted to Android.

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Odp: Not all Tegra 3's created equal?

As an addendum:

By integrated, they refer to the modem being integrated into the processor die. Qualcomm does this with the dual-core S4s. Their S4 pro quad cores, however, use a modem (an MDM9615m, the same as what the iPhone 5 uses) as a standalone part. That is how NVIDIA has packaged the tegra 4 with LTE as well. It comes with LTE, yes. But it is not integrated.

Wait how it does have lte yet it does not include it? You mean it on seperate die but in same package? Or it just support communication with lte modem?

Wysyłane z mojego GT-N8000 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Odp: Not all Tegra 3's created equal?

Wait how it does have lte yet it does not include it? You mean it on seperate die but in same package? Or it just support communication with lte modem?

The Tegra 3 w/LTE has a Qualcomm modem which is a completely separate chip. The reason battery life doesn't suffer as much is because it's built on a newer, more efficient process vs the first gen LTE stuff (like what's in the Thunderbolt). The Tegra 4 has a much better level in integration with the modem, but it's still technically a separate chip.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I have an ASUS Transformer TF300T which has a Tegra 3 chip. I also have a Nexus 7 and an HTC One X+ which all have Tegra 3 chips.

While the ASUS and Nexus get roughly the same score in alot of benchmarks.. e.g, I ran Epic Citadel on all 3 and the ASUS and Nexus both scored over 55 FPS while my HTC scored barely 40FPS. It was this way on multiple runs. I've even noticed it's slower when I game..

Is HTC artificially limiting the speed of the HTC for some specific reason? I'm shocked that games run better on my 2 devices that have bigger screens!

thats why i think benchmarks are stupid. if the user experience is good for you thats all it matters

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

The Tegra 3 w/LTE has a Qualcomm modem which is a completely separate chip. The reason battery life doesn't suffer as much is because it's built on a newer, more efficient process vs the first gen LTE stuff (like what's in the Thunderbolt). The Tegra 4 has a much better level in integration with the modem, but it's still technically a separate chip.

Something is wrong here ; > how tegra have lte if does not have it, it can have it or not but not both,if it not part of tegra then some kind of application to tegra at most. i think we talking here about some kind of bus for that modem. I will need to do some reserch.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Something is wrong here ; > how tegra have lte if does not have it, it can have it or not but not both,if it not part of tegra then some kind of application to tegra at most. i think we talking here about some kind of bus for that modem. I will need to do some reserch.

I think you're a little confused. Tegra 3's setup is the same as tegra 4's. The difference is that the 4's is made by nvidia, so its more closely integrated.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
thats why i think benchmarks are stupid. if the user experience is good for you thats all it matters

Well, the difference is I can definitely see a drop in frames as I play games on my TF300/N7 compared to my One X+.. especially when it comes to Tegra3 extra fluff when gaming, like water splashes on the screen, water ripple effects in games, etc..

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

I think you're a little confused. Tegra 3's setup is the same as tegra 4's. The difference is that the 4's is made by nvidia, so its more closely integrated.

hmmm but might be right i guess there might be something that makes them cooperate more as they made by same manufacture