Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    Hello!
    I was looking for comparison tests for these processors and found some of them of course. Synthetic tests show big difference, but i don't care, as it is not real performance they show.
    I want to ask - how quad core cpu (in comparison with dual core ones) affect real smartphone performance in common tasks like web-browsing, office documents work, watching videos etc.?
    Thank you!
    -Johan
    Last edited by PortmannJohnan; 02-08-2013 at 05:13 PM.
    -Johan Portman
  2. #2  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,733 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    A good example of this is the Galaxy Nexus vs. Nexus 4. Both are really smooth, but when you start firing up more than one app the Nexus 4 shows its chops (less stutter, less lag, apps open lightning fast) compared to the Galaxy Nexus. Both are capable of a perfectly smooth UI, but when you start doing demanding things (taking Photosphere's, for example), the extra horsepower shows through.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  3. #3  
    AndroidJunkie420's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    ROM
    BAKED Blackbean 7

    Default Re: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    I have an HTC One S and my brother has a Nexus 7 and I have to say even though he has a quad core CPU and mine is only a dual core, I notice he has a lot more problems with lag, things not opening very fast and I have little to zero problems. It has a lot to do with software more than hardware imo. I'm rooted and he is not and my device seems much, much quicker and smoother than I ever see his.

    So I would say, quad core is good to have for somethings maybe but dual core seems to be plenty for Android.
  4. #4  

    Default Odp: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    More cores adds up power that is quite conditional in order to use it. It all depends how app is coded and how it use threads (if it use more then one), so for single app if its not using multithreating it will only use power of single core. But on other hand as mentioned above when one use one core the other can use another one, so more core = better backgroud processes prefermence.
  5. #5  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,733 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidJunkie420 View Post
    I have an HTC One S and my brother has a Nexus 7 and I have to say even though he has a quad core CPU and mine is only a dual core, I notice he has a lot more problems with lag, things not opening very fast and I have little to zero problems. It has a lot to do with software more than hardware imo. I'm rooted and he is not and my device seems much, much quicker and smoother than I ever see his.

    So I would say, quad core is good to have for somethings maybe but dual core seems to be plenty for Android.
    Well a lot of that has to do with which dual-core and quad-core you have. The dual-core in the One S is a really good dual-core, being of the newer generation of Snapdragon processors, while the quad-core Tegra 3 is technically older generation ARM A9 based cores.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  6. #6  

    Default Odp: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Well a lot of that has to do with which dual-core and quad-core you have. The dual-core in the One S is a really good dual-core, being of the newer generation of Snapdragon processors, while the quad-core Tegra 3 is technically older generation ARM A9 based cores.
    You mean cpu core architecture ; p does not really have much to do with number of cores, ofcorse older generation core will preform less
  7. #7  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,733 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Odp: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    You mean cpu core architecture ; p does not really have much to do with number of cores, ofcorse older generation core will preform less
    Sure it does. I'd take the dual-core in the One X/S over the quad-core in the S3 International version. Architecture IS the difference. Look at the first Qualcomm dual-core and how terrible they were. Now look where they are, all because of an architecture change.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  8. #8  

    Default Odp: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Sure it does. I'd take the dual-core in the One X/S over the quad-core in the S3 International version. Architecture IS the difference. Look at the first Qualcomm dual-core and how terrible they were. Now look where they are, all because of an architecture change.
    But architecture has nothing todo with the number of cores, ofcorse that same number of cores with weaker architecture will preform weaker then same number of cores of stonger architecture.
  9. #9  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,733 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Odp: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowriver View Post
    But architecture has nothing todo with the number of cores, ofcorse that same number of cores with weaker architecture will preform weaker then same number of cores of stonger architecture.
    No, obviously, but it has everything to do with performance. You can't reliably discuss performance of dual-core vs quad-core without mentioning which specific chips and/or architecture you're talking about. That's like asking which car is faster, but not specifying which cars you're specifically comparing.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Odp: Quad core and Dual core CPU perfomance

    Was away for a while.. today got here at last. I've read all suggestions, yesterday i was testing quad-core china phone that my mate bought (Newman or something like that). Well, i did not found some big difference between this quad-core device and those samsung and motorola dual-core devices i owned. Just as you stated - big difference on which exactly quad-core processor built in device and software part ofc..
    -Johan Portman

Similar Threads

  1. switching out quad core for dual core/2gb ram
    By mrjoshw in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2012, 09:17 PM
  2. Why no 4 inch or less quad core or dual core phone?
    By Speedygi in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 10:11 AM
  3. razors android version and dual core?
    By pnico in forum Droid RAZR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 01:25 PM
  4. Single core vs dual core?
    By ctychick in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 05:57 PM
  5. Another Tablet with 10 hours battery, and Dual A9 CPU 9.7 inch
    By Not Bad in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions

B