Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kevin O'Quinn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking for a good, used android phone...

So I currently have an HTC Thunderbolt (rooted with thundershed). It runs pretty good, but overall I'm ready to move on.

I'm also currently grandfathered with Verizons unlimited data and would like to keep it, since I do watch videos on my phone and tablet while tethered to my phone.

So, I'm looking for a good new-ish phone that I can root easily, has good performance with overclocking and a strong "rooting" community. I've been looking mostly at the Galaxy Nexus, but read some negative things about the battery and signal strength.

I've also tossed around the RAZR M... But obviously that comes at a higher price and I'm not certain what modding community is out there (and how rootable it is).

Anyone have any thoughts on a good quality device I could find used? My top concerns are performance (overclocking kept in mind),battery life, and probably cost.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Looking for a good, used android phone...

Quote Originally Posted by bdanka50 View Post
    So I currently have an HTC Thunderbolt (rooted with thundershed). It runs pretty good, but overall I'm ready to move on.

I'm also currently grandfathered with Verizons unlimited data and would like to keep it, since I do watch videos on my phone and tablet while tethered to my phone.

So, I'm looking for a good new-ish phone that I can root easily, has good performance with overclocking and a strong "rooting" community. I've been looking mostly at the Galaxy Nexus, but read some negative things about the battery and signal strength.

I've also tossed around the RAZR M... But obviously that comes at a higher price and I'm not certain what modding community is out there (and how rootable it is).

Anyone have any thoughts on a good quality device I could find used? My top concerns are performance (overclocking kept in mind),battery life, and probably cost.

Thanks everyone!

Galaxy Nexus has an excellent hacker crowd, but I've also heard the negatives about signal strength. Battery life is easily solved with an extended battery. How about the S3? I think it's rooted and all that good stuff. Signal is much better than on the Gnex. Battery life is also better.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Topgonzo and droidmyme like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's not a bad choice I'm sure... I'll have to look into the cost of a used one. Thanks for the reply :-)

Just get an s3

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

An S3 is far out of my price range

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I have a Gnex with no issues. I'm happy with vanilla stock JB 4.2.1 for now. My husband has the SGII and he's ok with Touchwiz. It has a few extra features but nothing I long for enough to root and rom, right now. Maybe after the next incarnation of the Nexus, but right now there's plenty to play with without it.

The point being, despite the complaints from some, I've had none of the issues others have had and thoroughly recommend the Gnex. I got mine for $175 on eBay.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

You must have the sprint gnex then? I don't think the Verizon gnex has 4.2 yet.

I just bought a Verizon gnex in mint condition from eBay with an otterbox case for $190. Now I have to decide if I plan on rooting or not. I'll have to do research on the types of roms and their improvements to the gnex

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by bdanka50 View Post
    You must have the sprint gnex then? I don't think the Verizon gnex has 4.2 yet.

I just bought a Verizon gnex in mint condition from eBay with an otterbox case for $190. Now I have to decide if I plan on rooting or not. I'll have to do research on the types of roms and their improvements to the gnex

Yes, I do. I got the OTA last Thursday. Still buttery smooth, no complaints from me.

What?! ...I'm msndrstood.
    via Gnex
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2

Hi all, I'm new to android (or will be soon, at least) and am looking for something to replace my current Version Pre 2.....

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by johnbowick View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to android (or will be soon, at least) and am looking for something to replace my current Version Pre 2.....
    Umů what? Please elaborate. Are you talking about a Palm Pre 2 or a prerelease of some OS? And as a suggestion, you might want to try making a new thread.