Intel to launch TV service!?

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
What are AC's opinions on this news story?

First, this tells me that Intel sees the writing on the wall. The PC business is a sinking ship, and Intel realizes that it either has to evolve itself or slowly die away.

I linked to two articles. The first one explains the 101 on the development. The 2nd is why Erik Hugger, Intel Media's manager, is optimistic about "Intel TV."

Personally I'm not very optimistic about chances of success, and here's why:

1. First Intel has almost zero leverage in an already fierce market. They are developing a TV box, yet their prime products are PC chips. A TV box is not going to need a desktop CPU inside. How does Intel have any leverage in this?

2. Sure, Erik Hugger says Intel has the right assets and people to create the product. So? So what? Look at the big tech companies like Facebook and Google. Their core products that became huge successes were all started from the grass roots.

Almost any time a big, institutional tech company tries to create the next big consumer hit from the top down, such a product fails. Look at Google +. It hasn't failed, but it's certainly not a runaway success. Did it make a significant dent in Facebooks social network market share? I doubt it.

So no, I am pessimistic on Intel TV. I don't see it failing out right, but I don't see it gaining significant marketshare, either. What do you people think?

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE91B1C420130212?irpc=932

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/02/12/erik-huggers-on-why-intel-tv-makes-sense/

Optimus S HydroROM 1.1.1 (RIP)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't care. Even if it's amazing they still need content to be successful. Ask Apple and Google how easy it is to get those deals.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't care. Even if it's amazing they still need content to be successful. Ask Apple and Google how easy it is to get those deals.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2

True true. It's hard to see Intel competing against the likes of Google and Apple for original, quality content. Good point.

Optimus S HydroROM 1.1.1 (RIP)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463