Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CyanogenMod 7

Default Question about battery life. #askAC

Hello everyone,
    I have seen many times in the past that people say Apple's better software battery management is due to tight control over its hardware and software. I have a question about that.
    The whole android code is available to manufactures so it is the same scenario as of apple as the OEM can have tight control over hardware and software. They can go through the code and change anything that is affecting the battery life and even make a device software smoother.
    Isnt that correct? Am I missing something?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Question about battery life. #askAC

Quote Originally Posted by VyprNoch View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I have seen many times in the past that people say Apple's better software battery management is due to tight control over its hardware and software. I have a question about that.
    The whole android code is available to manufactures so it is the same scenario as of apple as the OEM can have tight control over hardware and software. They can go through the code and change anything that is affecting the battery life and even make a device software smoother.
    Isnt that correct? Am I missing something?
    So much would be changed that you'd probably never see an update. What you're talking about is very similar to what Amazon has done.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    CyanogenMod 7

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    So much would be changed that you'd probably never see an update. What you're talking about is very similar to what Amazon has done.
    Thanks but it just deepens the question for me,
    Changed in the sense, the code would be changed lot in version to version?
    I am assuming it is that then isnt is same for Apple too. Their code also gets changed a lot. All Google needs to do is appoint a team to take care about informing the changes. Dont you think thats how it works at apple?
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

No, because Apple also makes the hardware. They don't have to play a game with different vendors.

Framework changes go deep and can affect quite a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Each phone has different hardware requiring different modules for the kernel just to put something in perspective for you cyanogenmod 10 for my skyrocket. The source code is over 100,000 individual files at a whopping 7.5 gigs. To modify for every phone to be 100% optimized would be a monumental task that no one team of developers could do. Google is responsible for its nexus phones only every other OEM is responsible for their phones most of the time they take the sources modify it enough to run efficiently to an extent Lol and call it good and even that takes a long time to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    CyanogenMod 7

Quote Originally Posted by nrm5110 View Post
    Each phone has different hardware requiring different modules for the kernel just to put something in perspective for you cyanogenmod 10 for my skyrocket. The source code is over 100,000 individual files at a whopping 7.5 gigs. To modify for every phone to be 100% optimized would be a monumental task that no one team of developers could do. Google is responsible for its nexus phones only every other OEM is responsible for their phones most of the time they take the sources modify it enough to run efficiently to an extent Lol and call it good and even that takes a long time to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks that solves it. Btw do you suppose there is any way this small tweaking problems could be solved?