1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Precautions before selling a phone/tablet

Hi, all

This is my first post here and I hope I'm posting in the right place.

Before selling a smartphone, I wonder if a factory reset will be adequate for privacy protection, due to the nature of electronic data storage using ROM/NAND.

I've in mind info like personal data, Google Wallet, bank account and other passwords.

I use TrueCrypt on my PCs but no encryption on phones or tablets. Perhaps a good practical approach is to NOT store sensitive data on a phone/tablet, but this is next to impossible with Google accounts, Google Wallet, etc.

Your input, please!

Default Re: Precautions before selling a phone/tablet

A factory reset would bring the phone back to the state it was in before it gets to a customer's hands and since you have to input all that info it should do the trick. Unless I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by max789 View Post
    Hi, all

This is my first post here and I hope I'm posting in the right place.

Before selling a smartphone, I wonder if a factory reset will be adequate for privacy protection, due to the nature of electronic data storage using ROM/NAND.

I've in mind info like personal data, Google Wallet, bank account and other passwords.

I use TrueCrypt on my PCs but no encryption on phones or tablets. Perhaps a good practical approach is to NOT store sensitive data on a phone/tablet, but this is next to impossible with Google accounts, Google Wallet, etc.

Your input, please!
    If i'm going to sell my old smart phone then yes I will really have to do a reset, then just update the newest software so it will sell easily. You know, we really want the newest OS for our phones right? Hope I helped

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

I read an article in the newspaper a while ago that factory resets on some OSes don't completely erase data, or something like that. I remember it mentioned Android, iOS, and BBOS, but I don't remember which ones required more than a factory reset.

Edit: Okay, did a little research, and it looks like a factory reset will do the trick.