Is it all over for the Removable Battery?

trap49

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my first Android phone, a T-Mobile G2, I searched around for a second battery. I found the battery on the original Evo was a perfect fit (if I filed down two of the edges), and used that as my backup until I upgraded to the GNex that I currently have. Coming from the corporate Blackberry environment, I was always used to a second battery in a charging cradle at my desk, and I couldn't imagine living without a backup. I couldn't possibly list the situations where the backup has saved the day. Just last week I was on Jury Duty, and used the opportunity to catch up on my reading via the Kindle App. But the GNex would never make it past 2:30, when I got the "low battery" pop-up. Just swapped the spare that I had brought, and continued my reading.

But all the new phones have embedded batteries now. I understand this from an engineering viewpoint, but what about those of us who would like removable batteries to continue? For me, the removable battery was one of the MAIN advantages over the iPhone. All of my Apple fanboy friends were carrying around bulky battery packs or charging at their desks all the time, and I noticed that the Blackberry kits that management had bought for the staff all had a spare battery plus charger included. It seemed to me that Apple had, for once, made a poor decision, and this led me directly to Android. Now it seems that all manufacturers have abandoned the old model, to my great disappointment.

What are the chances of any removable batteries showing up on 2013 phones? Let me know what you think.

Don T

SERO wireless

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the tide has turned, at least for the OEMs that have a clue. The LG Optimus didn't have a removable battery, but the LG Optimus Pro will. The new phones from Blackberry also have removable batteries. Sadly, HTC didn't get the memo. We'll have to see if Googlerola did when their new X phone comes out.

The non user-replaceable batteries were NEVER about performance or engineering - it was a desperate move to fix the lifespan of phones and eliminate the secondary market for them. Apple had good reasons, the others who jumped on the bandwagon (HTC, Motorola, LG) were just trying to force consumers to accelerate their phone purchases to delay the inevitable decline of the OEM market's bottom-feeders.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I will never buy a phone without a removable battery unless it had a new battery that last longer then current batteries.

Sent via Tapatalk

trap49

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Great perspective, I hadn't considered that the manufacturers would actually plan on ways to force consumers to buy a new phone each year. Well, Apple, of course, would do that, but I thought the HTCs and Samsungs would be more progressive. I mean, there is almost a built-in 2 year refresh with carrier contracts anyway. Thanks for opening my eyes about this, and let's hope the Next Nexus has a removable battery!

Ichi_Bear

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
I've never been a fan of fixed batteries in smartphones. The main reason why I got a Samsung Galaxy S3, was because it had a removable battery and a Micro SD slot. I don't trust fixed batteries. The last smartphone I got with a fixed battery, the battery didn't last a year before it refused to charge or hold a decent charge. It was such a hassle dealing with the manufacturer and my network. The Galaxy S3 now has an official extended battery available. Nice! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar