Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dobermans rule
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Which Android device right now is the best?

I've been using a Smartphone for only 6 years and all of them have been BlackBerry's. I really like the BB devices and know the pros of using a BB, but like most the lack of apps has me looking elsewhere.

I know all devices, Android, Windows and Apple have their own pros & cons.

My use consists of:

Heavy email, SMS, web browsing and phone calls. Phone calls actually is least important.

Which Android device would you recommend?

Why?

Also, is any one carrier (in the US) better than the others? I am currently with T-Mobile but plan on switching.

ADDED: Battery life is not critical since I am rarely not somewhere that I can plug in

TIA
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble

Default Re: Which Android device right now is the best?

It all depends on what you want/need the phone to have. You could go get the Droid Razr Maxx HD for a super long battery life, but it doesn't have a removable battery. The S3 has a removable battery amd SD card support, but the battery might not last you through the whole day. The HTC One was just unveiled and looks like it is the best phone out right now. It has the best specs and has superior, amazing build quality (made of one piece of aluminum). But it all depends on what you want the phone to have...

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    eds817 
    Topgonzo likes this.

First thing to figure out is the carrier. Some carriers offer phones that other carriers don't. Verizon the DNA or note 2. AT&T I'd say the one x+ or note 2 but I'd wait for the HTC one. Sprint probably the EVO lte or note 2. Honestly speed you won't tell a difference from one quad core or the other quad core. Personally my big things in a phone are battery life and screen. What do u want in a phone? Storage, battery life, screen, a specific UI you like. The note 2 is an awesome phone but I know people who won't touch it because the screens is to big. Just depends on your personal preference. Some people wont get anything but a nexus because of the timely updates. Some people only get HTC because they love the sense UI

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    eds817 

Global Posts
    6,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Aside from dropping my phone twice, first time screen shattered, but still worked....second time the screen went black....and dropping it in a bucket of hot, soapy water .....read:fried....I still like my SGS3. I'm only accident prone when it comes to cell phones, anyone that knows me personally will confirm.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,416 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eds817 View Post
    I've been using a Smartphone for only 6 years and all of them have been BlackBerry's. I really like the BB devices and know the pros of using a BB, but like most the lack of apps has me looking elsewhere.

I know all devices, Android, Windows and Apple have their own pros & cons.

My use consists of:

Heavy email, SMS, web browsing and phone calls. Phone calls actually is least important.

Which Android device would you recommend?

Why?

Also, is any one carrier (in the US) better than the others? I am currently with T-Mobile but plan on switching.

ADDED: Battery life is not critical since I am rarely not somewhere that I can plug in

TIA
    Which carrier will work best for you? (price/coverage)
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

I would recommend the Nexus 4. Looks like you're on T-Mobile so the N4 would work for you. The N4 has the best processor of any phone currently in the market, and it has the latest version of Android. It's more future-proof than other smartphones because it always will have the latest version of stock Android.

Edit: I reread your post and read that you're looking to switch carriers. Why? T-Mo has the best prices and works seamlessly with the N4 (the only other carrier that works with it is AT&T, which is expensive and doesn't have good plans. Verizon is super expensive.

Edit 2: Here's my list of best phones by carrier:

Verizon
    Droid DNA
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy S3
    Droid RAZR MAXX HD (or RAZR HD)
    Galaxy Nexus

AT&T
    Nexus 4
    Optimus G
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy Nexus

Sprint
    Optimus G
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy Nexus

T-Mobile
    Nexus 4
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy Nexus

Overall
    Nexus 4
    Droid DNA
    Optimus G
    Galaxy Note 2
    Galaxy S3
    Galaxy Nexus

Looks like my post is now longer than my signature.

Nexus 4

/end thread

IMO it's a 3 way tie depending on personal needs and preferences -

1. Nexus 4
    2. Galaxy Note
    3. Galaxy S3/S4

Global Posts
    988 Global Posts

Former BB user here as well. I have similar needs as the OP....I have a GS3 (on VZW) and absolutely love it! Best phone I have had to date. It also handles email darn near as good and in some instances better than any of my blackberry's did. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above mentioned devices but the GS3 is certainly impressive!
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,416 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    IMO it's a 3 way tie depending on personal needs and preferences -

1. Nexus 4
    2. Galaxy Note
    3. Galaxy S3/S4
    What do you know about the S4?
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    What do you know about the S4?
    i know the obvious - that it should have better specs than the S3.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    I would recommend the Nexus 4. Looks like you're on T-Mobile so the N4 would work for you. The N4 has the best processor of any phone currently in the market, and it has the latest version of Android. It's more future-proof than other smartphones because it always will have the latest version of stock Android.

Edit: I reread your post and read that you're looking to switch carriers. Why? T-Mo has the best prices and works seamlessly with the N4 (the only other carrier that works with it is AT&T, which is expensive and doesn't have good plans. Verizon is super expensive.
    First, thank you for your comments.

TMO is my area does not have the best coverage. My wife works for a national hospital chain and gets a pretty good corporate discount. With adding onto her plan we are saving $50 a month combined and now have unlimited talk and test and 6gb of data.

I see a number of people suggesting the Nexus 4 but I don't see it on the AT&T site.
    New York Yankees
    It's Hard To Be Humble

TMO is my area does not have the best coverage. My wife works for a national hospital chain and gets a pretty good corporate discount. With adding onto her plan we are saving $50 a month combined and now have unlimited talk and test and 6gb of data.

I see a number of people suggesting the Nexus 4 but I don't see it on the AT&T site.
    The Nexus 4 you have to buy unlocked from the Google Play store to be used on AT&T. They don't sell it on a two year contract.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

You can buy the Nexus 4 from the Google Play Store for $299-$349. It's unlocked so you aren't tied to a contract. If you don't care if you're on a contract you can buy an LG Optimus G for $199, but the Nexus 4 is still worth the price regardless. Note that other phones like the Optimus G, Galaxy S3, and others are nearly twice the price of the Nexus 4 unlocked.