Phone Unlocking Now Attracting the Attention of Washington Insiders

lkbig

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Next to my love of all things Android, few things compare to my love of politics. The National Journal (a magazine aimed at Washington insiders, think congressional staffers, congress people, lobbyists and such) posted a story about the phone unlocking petition. Maybe we'll get our way on this! Now we need to get this on mainstream media like CNN and the NBC nightly news. Momentum is building (I hope).

Here's the link. :D

Why Won't the Government Let You Unlock Your Phone? 100,000 People Want to Know - NationalJournal.com

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As long as there's a reasonable unlocking policy at the carrier level, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Plus with unsubsidized options becoming more and more available, it's making this even less of an issue.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Anyone think this will move the needle at all?

The petition drive isn't intended to move the needle. When a petition reaches 100,000 votes, it gets sent to the White House which reviews the petition and releases an official statement. That statement is just intended to be a starting point for any policy changes. That's my understanding.

As long as there's a reasonable unlocking policy at the carrier level, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Plus with unsubsidized options becoming more and more available, it's making this even less of an issue.

Not to belittle your statement, but there aren't a whole lot of modern, unsubsidized options beyond the Nexus phone.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

lkbig

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
The petition drive isn't intended to move the needle. When a petition reaches 100,000 votes, it gets sent to the White House which reviews the petition and releases an official statement. That statement is just intended to be a starting point for any policy changes. That's my understanding.

Isn't this moving the needle? If this is the start of a policy change I think the needle is being moved. Albeit slowly.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not to belittle your statement, but there aren't a whole lot of modern, unsubsidized options beyond the Nexus phone.

Unsubsidized has always been an option. You're probably thinking more of the cheap, no-carrier interference route.

T-Mobile's switch to payments plans vs. subsidizing is a big step too.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Unsubsidized has always been an option. You're probably thinking more of the cheap, no-carrier interference route.

T-Mobile's switch to payments plans vs. subsidizing is a big step too.

Can you please explain what unsubsidized means then. Thanks

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Isn't this moving the needle? If this is the start of a policy change I think the needle is being moved. Albeit slowly.

Maybe. All I mean is that, just because something reaches 100,000 petitions doesn't mean they will actually do anything! :)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Can you please explain what unsubsidized means then. Thanks

Full price. Carrier phones can still come unsubsidized. It only has to do with the price, not the bloatware.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Full price. Carrier phones can still come unsubsidized. It only has to do with the price, not the bloatware.

I just assumed that unsubsidized always existed in factory unlocked international versions. But I suppose that's limited to only the international versions. You're suggesting that if unsubsidized takes off, a carrier like T-Mobile's might, say, offer their entire line up this way?

Thanks, I'm not familiar with the specifics.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just assumed that unsubsidized always existed in factory unlocked international versions. But I suppose that's limited to only the international versions. You're suggesting that if unsubsidized takes off, a carrier like T-Mobile's might, say, offer their entire line up this way?

Thanks, I'm not familiar with the specifics.

Yes.

BTW, going to AT&T and buying a Galaxy S III at the full retail price means you're buying it unsubsidized. And you can do that today.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

BTW, going to AT&T and buying a Galaxy S III at the full retail price means you're buying it unsubsidized. And you can do that today.

Isn't that the main draw for folks signing contracts?

You can't really say signing up is about network coverage, because all four main carriers have MVNOs. Interesting to see where it all leads! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress