Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Smile Phone Unlocking Now Attracting the Attention of Washington Insiders

Next to my love of all things Android, few things compare to my love of politics. The National Journal (a magazine aimed at Washington insiders, think congressional staffers, congress people, lobbyists and such) posted a story about the phone unlocking petition. Maybe we'll get our way on this! Now we need to get this on mainstream media like CNN and the NBC nightly news. Momentum is building (I hope).

Here's the link.

Why Won't the Government Let You Unlock Your Phone? 100,000 People Want to Know - NationalJournal.com
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Phone Unlocking Now Attracting the Attention of Washington Insiders

Anyone think this will move the needle at all?
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

As long as there's a reasonable unlocking policy at the carrier level, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Plus with unsubsidized options becoming more and more available, it's making this even less of an issue.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by lkbig View Post
    Anyone think this will move the needle at all?
    The petition drive isn't intended to move the needle. When a petition reaches 100,000 votes, it gets sent to the White House which reviews the petition and releases an official statement. That statement is just intended to be a starting point for any policy changes. That's my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    As long as there's a reasonable unlocking policy at the carrier level, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Plus with unsubsidized options becoming more and more available, it's making this even less of an issue.
    Not to belittle your statement, but there aren't a whole lot of modern, unsubsidized options beyond the Nexus phone.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by droidmyme View Post
    The petition drive isn't intended to move the needle. When a petition reaches 100,000 votes, it gets sent to the White House which reviews the petition and releases an official statement. That statement is just intended to be a starting point for any policy changes. That's my understanding.
    Isn't this moving the needle? If this is the start of a policy change I think the needle is being moved. Albeit slowly.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

Not to belittle your statement, but there aren't a whole lot of modern, unsubsidized options beyond the Nexus phone.

Unsubsidized has always been an option. You're probably thinking more of the cheap, no-carrier interference route.

T-Mobile's switch to payments plans vs. subsidizing is a big step too.

Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Unsubsidized has always been an option. You're probably thinking more of the cheap, no-carrier interference route.

T-Mobile's switch to payments plans vs. subsidizing is a big step too.
    Can you please explain what unsubsidized means then. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lkbig View Post
    Isn't this moving the needle? If this is the start of a policy change I think the needle is being moved. Albeit slowly.
    Maybe. All I mean is that, just because something reaches 100,000 petitions doesn't mean they will actually do anything!

Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

Can you please explain what unsubsidized means then. Thanks

Full price. Carrier phones can still come unsubsidized. It only has to do with the price, not the bloatware.

Full price. Carrier phones can still come unsubsidized. It only has to do with the price, not the bloatware.
    I just assumed that unsubsidized always existed in factory unlocked international versions. But I suppose that's limited to only the international versions. You're suggesting that if unsubsidized takes off, a carrier like T-Mobile's might, say, offer their entire line up this way?

Thanks, I'm not familiar with the specifics.

Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

I just assumed that unsubsidized always existed in factory unlocked international versions. But I suppose that's limited to only the international versions. You're suggesting that if unsubsidized takes off, a carrier like T-Mobile's might, say, offer their entire line up this way?

Thanks, I'm not familiar with the specifics.

Yes.

BTW, going to AT&T and buying a Galaxy S3 at the full retail price means you're buying it unsubsidized. And you can do that today.

Yes.

BTW, going to AT&T and buying a Galaxy S3 at the full retail price means you're buying it unsubsidized. And you can do that today.
    Isn't that the main draw for folks signing contracts?

You can't really say signing up is about network coverage, because all four main carriers have MVNOs. Interesting to see where it all leads!