Fragmentation sucks

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Just noticed the article on the front page of AC re: Photosphere and whether or not OEM's will have access to the feature. It reminded me of the fragmentation problem in Android, which has been bothering me for some time now.

To be perfectly honest, I am very annoyed with the fragmentation in Android phones. Every quarter, there is a hot new feature announced. And, there is always a footnote to each and every announcement: "Oh, it's not available to YOU."

Sure, wireless carriers are partly to blame for this. OEM manufacturers are also to blame. As a customer, though, I am not interested in who I should blame for the fragmentation -- I am only interested in who will fix the fragmentation problem, and when!?!

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
There's almost always an App to give you the "OEM-exclusive" stuff.
"There's an App for that" IMO applies more to Android than iPhone...now.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
You need to get yourself a Nexus device. No need to worry about fragmentation. :)

I never cared for Verizon's Nexus. The latest Nex is a GSM phone, and I have 4 lines on a CDMA network (Verizon).

I am getting prepared to root my current phone, but devs still haven't quite nailed down Jelly Bean for my device.

Or buy an iPhone, and be subject to the same limitations and aging design as every other iPhone user. At least it's not "fragmented."

One of the lines on my account is an iPhone 5. It has Google's Maps & turn-by-turn navigation - something I always felt was a huge advantage for Android, and I naively thought would NEVER be ported to iOS. The iPhone 5 has Google Search with voice response -- my Android doesn't. I'm willing to bet that Google & Apple will figure out a way to get Google Now-like features into iOS. Sure, it may not look or behave exactly like Now does on an Android device, but the convenience of Now (predictive information!) could eventually end up on iOS. iOS device users as far back as what -- 2 years or more -- will get the updates, too.

My point is that eventually iOS users will have a better Google experience than 70% of the Android phones out there.

-------

I would love to see wireless carriers get out of the 'phone experience' business. The carriers ought to have only two responsibilities: build & manage networks. What devices we connect to that network should be OUR decision. We, the consumer, can man up and take full responsibility for our devices. If it stops working, we fix it, find a repair shop or replace it ourselves.

If that happened, either 1) OEM's would finally be allowed to push updates more freely, or 2) perhaps new OEM's, who handle updates more appropriately, would form.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
There's almost always an App to give you the "OEM-exclusive" stuff.
"There's an App for that" IMO applies more to Android than iPhone...now.

Those apps rarely perform as well as the original feature. Out of curiously, which app mimics Google Now?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I never cared for Verizon's Nexus. The latest Nex is a GSM phone, and I have 4 lines on a CDMA network (Verizon).

I am getting prepared to root my current phone, but devs still haven't quite nailed down Jelly Bean for my device.

One of the lines on my account is an iPhone 5. It has Google's Maps & turn-by-turn navigation - something I always felt was a huge advantage for Android, and I naively thought would NEVER be ported to iOS. The iPhone 5 has Google Search with voice response -- my Android doesn't. I'm willing to bet that Google & Apple will figure out a way to get Google Now-like features into iOS. Sure, it may not look or behave exactly like Now does on an Android device, but the convenience of Now (predictive information!) could eventually end up on iOS. iOS device users as far back as what -- 2 years or more -- will get the updates, too.

My point is that eventually iOS users will have a better Google experience than 70% of the Android phones out there.

And that's what Google wants. Google wants users using Google services, regardless of platform. Google's core business is not Android.

I would love to see wireless carriers get out of the 'phone experience' business. The carriers ought to have only two responsibilities: build & manage networks. What devices we connect to that network should be OUR decision. We, the consumer, can man up and take full responsibility for our devices. If it stops working, we fix it, find a repair shop or replace it ourselves.

If that happened, either 1) OEM's would finally be allowed to push updates more freely, or 2) perhaps new OEM's, who handle updates more appropriately, would form.

You can blame carriers all you want. But OEMs are just as guilty. Samsung wants you have a Samsung experience. HTC wants you to have an HTC experience. Motorola wants you to have a Motorola experience.

Again. Beauty of Android. Anyone can take it and make what they want out of it.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

That is how Google makes money. Google gives Android away for free. When you plunk down the cash for that new phone Google gets exactly zero dollars from the transaction (with the except on Nexus devices but I'd be willing to wager that Google is selling them at a loss). Microsoft makes more from that transaction than Google. Google makes money when you use their services. So it would be in their best interest to have as many users as possible on as many platforms as possible.

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Its not the only way to avoid fragmentation but it is the most hassle free way. The other option is can always root and start using custom ROMs like Cyanogen or AOKP to stay update on Android but it can be a hassle to maintain.

Sent From My Samsung Hercules

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
When T-Mobile gets their 4G footprint built up, I think they will offer the best cure for fragmentation. Bring your own Nexus or iPhone, or make payments on one you buy from them.

I suppose BlackBerry & Windows phones are other ways to beat Android fragmentation.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
That is how Google makes money. Google gives Android away for free. When you plunk down the cash for that new phone Google gets exactly zero dollars from the transaction (with the except on Nexus devices but I'd be willing to wager that Google is selling them at a loss). Microsoft makes more from that transaction than Google. Google makes money when you use their services. So it would be in their best interest to have as many users as possible on as many platforms as possible.

When a family member got the iPhone 5, I was surprised that yea ... Google honestly does not give a damn about Android's competitiveness against other platforms. That iPhone has or will get most of Google's services. She'll have Google Now before me (well, I rooted to get it & yes, it was a PITA).

Deadly_Poison630

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
When T-Mobile gets their 4G footprint built up, I think they will offer the best cure for fragmentation. Bring your own Nexus or iPhone, or make payments on one you buy from them.

I suppose BlackBerry & Windows phones are other ways to beat Android fragmentation.

Oh OK. I may end up switching to T-Mobile being since I'll have to pay for my phone on own by then.

GuitarManJack

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Or buy an iPhone, and be subject to the same limitations and aging design as every other iPhone user. At least it's not "fragmented."
Haha this is definitely true. New features for the iPhone:
Auxiliary jack is now on bottom of the phone.
You can now have another row of apps.
We are still charging you up the *** for the phone.

-------------------------------------
Jack
Techie/Gamer
Best Budget Graphics Cards