Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: What phone should I get? ATT)

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Go for the S3 now!

2 40.00%
  • Wait for the S4, it's unbreakable!

1 20.00%
  • Lumia FTW!

0 0%
  • HTC one

2 40.00%
  • HTC 8X

0 0%
  • Get an iPhone 5.

0 0%
  • Wait two months.

0 0%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By eve6er69
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What phone should I get (ATT)

Well my contract ends soon and I am looking between S3, (OR, should I wait for S4?) Lumia 920, HTC 8X, and maybe the soon to be released HTC One. What do you guys think?

Default Re: What phone should I get (ATT)

IMO none of the above. buy a contract-free Nexus 4 (16GB) from the Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/device...d=nexus_4_16gb

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Why didn't you include the N4? Definitely the best choice IMO. Latest Android version, fastest processor other than the HTC One, half the price of the others.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by return_0 View Post
    Why didn't you include the N4? Definitely the best choice IMO. Latest Android version, fastest processor other than the HTC One, half the price of the others.
    The reason I don't want the N4, is because not only does it cost more, the battery is non removable, and the battery doesn't last long, theirs no 32GB storage, and I will never buy another glass phone. Plus, I see most cases and accessories ETC for phones like the S3, not N4. I like the N4 on paper, but also I like phones like the S3'S UI more, along with features like smart stay. Although after looking at HTC'S new sense I am rethinking because the new Sense looks awful.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by nube_android View Post
    The reason I don't want the N4, is because not only does it cost more, the battery is non removable, and the battery doesn't last long, theirs no 32GB storage, and I will never buy another glass phone. Plus, I see most cases and accessories ETC for phones like the S3, not N4. I like the N4 on paper, but also I like phones like the S3'S UI more, along with features like smart stay. Although after looking at HTC'S new sense I am rethinking because the new Sense looks awful.
    It's actually half the price, not more expensive. Also, there are tons of cases for the N4. Have you checked ShopAndroid? That would solve the glass problem. If you like TouchWiz, you can easily root an N4 and get a TouchWiz-like ROM. The battery was only bad before 4.2.2; now it's as good as any other phone. Lack of storage also isn't a problem if you have cloud storage and one of those $30 unlimited data plans, but seeing that you're on AT&T, looks like that would be the only problem.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Remember, I am buying subsidized, because my contract ran out. I am not in Europe.

Remember, I am buying subsidized, because my contract ran out. I am not in Europe.
    You should consider a BYOD Nexus 4 combined with Straight Talk's AT&T SIM. $45/Month Unlimited Everything with No Contract.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

If by mentioning you aren't in Europe, you're referring to my mention of the $30 plan, that isn't Europe-only. It's T-Mobile prepaid plan with 100 mins, unlimited texts, and unlimited data with 5 GB 4G. You can use a VoIP app for more minutes. But I don't want to push it too much. Out of the options you listed, I would recommend waiting for the Galaxy S4.

Edit: I also see you mean the N4 is more expensive because its unlocked price is higher that the other phones' on-contract price, and it isn't available on-contract on AT&T. Well, there's actually a workaround for that. Just buy the N4 on-contract at T-Mobile (it's free atm), select the cheapest plan, wait 2 weeks, and cancel your contract. So it'll be N4 ($0) + ETF ($200) + 1 month service ($40) = $240. A little more expensive than the other phones but worth it.

I'd say either wait for the S4 or get the N4.

ROM
    The GODZILLA Rom

Well my contract ends soon and I am looking between S3, (OR, should I wait for S4?) Lumia 920, HTC 8X, and maybe the soon to be released HTC One. What do you guys think?
    I'd get the optimus G.

Probably best off waiting and seeing how the gs4 ends up looking

HTC One would be my choice from the phones you listed.

Sent from my Motorola RAZR i

Default What phone should I get (ATT)

The one looks sick. I'd wait for that.

Sent from my game boy color
    nube_android likes this.

If by mentioning you aren't in Europe, you're referring to my mention of the $30 plan, that isn't Europe-only. It's T-Mobile prepaid plan with 100 mins, unlimited texts, and unlimited data with 5 GB 4G. You can use a VoIP app for more minutes. But I don't want to push it too much. Out of the options you listed, I would recommend waiting for the Galaxy S4.

Edit: I also see you mean the N4 is more expensive because its unlocked price is higher that the other phones' on-contract price, and it isn't available on-contract on AT&T. Well, there's actually a workaround for that. Just buy the N4 on-contract at T-Mobile (it's free atm), select the cheapest plan, wait 2 weeks, and cancel your contract. So it'll be N4 ($0) + ETF ($200) + 1 month service ($40) = $240. A little more expensive than the other phones but worth it.
    It actually requires the $90 unlimited plan. You also have to wait for the rebate (which usually takes longer than a month). So it's gonna be more than $240.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

This is the single most common question readers like you ask us phone reviewers every day. With the launch of a new BlackBerry Z10 smartphone and upcoming BlackBerry Q10 joining the Apple iPhone 5, a legion of excellent Android handsets, and the rise of Microsoft's Windows phones, the choices are more numerous than ever before.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

I would recommend either the Note 11 (just got one and can't put it down), or the Nexus 4.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by whatsitsname View Post
    It actually requires the $90 unlimited plan. You also have to wait for the rebate (which usually takes longer than a month). So it's gonna be more than $240.

Um you can only cancel a contract if you have the $90 plan? I don't think that's true. And the rebate, while not immediately appearing, would come eventually.

Um you can only cancel a contract if you have the $90 plan? I don't think that's true. And the rebate, while not immediately appearing, would come eventually.
    Huh??
    That doesn't even make sense.

The price point of the phone requires the $90 plan to work. Simple.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Huh??
    That doesn't even make sense.

The price point of the phone requires the $90 plan to work. Simple.

No, I'm pretty sure you can use the Nexus 4 with any plan. At least that's what multiple people at various T-Mobile stores told me. Unless they're all wrong (which is more likely than one might think).

I'm saying to get the price of the phone for free requires you to sign up for the $90 unlimited plan. That is the fine print. That is why the price is low. You can't get the phone for free if you sign up with the $40 plan.

You can read about it here if you still don't understand. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus...d-deal_id40097

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

I'm saying to get the price of the phone for free requires you to sign up for the $90 unlimited plan. That is the fine print. That is why the price is low. You can't get the phone for free if you sign up with the $40 plan.

You can read about it here if you still don't understand. Nexus 4 is free on T-Mobile until Sunday, but it's still a bad deal

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. So then the price of the phone would come out to $290 (maybe a little more with taxes). Still worth it IMO.

It may actually cost a little more than that as sometime the rebate takes longer than a month (so $90 x 2). If you cancel before then you lose rebate. But as you say it's still worth it because it will come out less than what you would pay for at Google play store.

Unfortunately the deal is already over.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

i suggest the latest great fones HTC 8X HTC One X these are very smart and great fones.....

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

Quote Originally Posted by johnbowick View Post
    i suggest the latest great fones HTC 8X HTC One X these are very smart and great fones.....
    The One X is a year old are you just a troll?

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

It may actually cost a little more than that as sometime the rebate takes longer than a month (so $90 x 2). If you cancel before then you lose rebate. But as you say it's still worth it because it will come out less than what you would pay for at Google play store.

Unfortunately the deal is already over.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    What I'm saying isn't that it's worth it because it ends up costing less than the Play Store price. I'm saying that it's worth it because the phone is just that much better.