Firefox OS has a better chance than WP8

nube_android

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Looking at Sony and the many other OEMS and carriers interested in Firefox OS, it looks to be open source in action. Not that it really matters closed or open, but WP has had years to pick up the pace and I actually think long term FFOS will be a bigger player than WP.

hoonigandad

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Have u tried a new windows phone? The operating system is very stable, intuitive, has great battery life and lots of baked in features that android requires apps for. The only thing it needs is better developer support and ill go back to windows phone

Gs3 for life

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Can you bluetooth files yet? Or set up individual alerts? Or separate the volumes of alerts and alarms? Do the devices have swappable mem card slots yet? No? I will stick with android. Yes I had a WP7 device.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Looking at Sony and the many other OEMS and carriers interested in Firefox OS, it looks to be open source in action. Not that it really matters closed or open, but WP has had years to pick up the pace and I actually think long term FFOS will be a bigger player than WP.

Who can "buy" more customers, Mozilla or Microsoft?

Jonnathon Clayton

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
wow I cant beleive people would actually think firefoxOS wont 1 up windows phone, 1 it has nothing to do with buying customers, 2 who cares if mozzilla only made browsers before, look at google before android... just sayin considering google chrome is built on firefox. on top of that firefoxOS has the advantage of being open source, mening it can be moded, and developed in any mannor devs like myself like and OEMs can customize it to there liking, much like android, plus its not rocket science to make or port apps especially from android considering the simmilarities in programing, as they are both essentially java script operating systems. if firefox gets enough development it will blow windows phone away... just my 2 cents

jessijass

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Just look at the file size of the new firefox in the repost. It used to be very small, because almost everything was included in the xul runner package. Now firefox is much bigger, so xul runner must be included in it.The only thing I'm wondering is, that the file sizes don't add up. the newer firefox setup bigger than the old setup

buzzyclonecattleman

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Here's to a good fight, open source is pushing all these big companies to do better - freedom is a good thing - Apple and Win should be quaking in their boots. All it takes is a big backer and you get the best of capitalism and freedom churning out the best products, right droid?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
wow I cant beleive people would actually think firefoxOS wont 1 up windows phone, 1 it has nothing to do with buying customers, 2 who cares if mozzilla only made browsers before, look at google before android... just sayin considering google chrome is built on firefox. on top of that firefoxOS has the advantage of being open source, mening it can be moded, and developed in any mannor devs like myself like and OEMs can customize it to there liking, much like android, plus its not rocket science to make or port apps especially from android considering the simmilarities in programing, as they are both essentially java script operating systems. if firefox gets enough development it will blow windows phone away... just my 2 cents

Look at Google before Android? Uh, Android did not make Google. Not remotely.

Mozilla is minuscule compared to what Google and Microsoft are.

That's hysterical.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
There's a big reason why Mozilla can't win: Microsoft will spend whatever is necessary to claw into third place. Mozilla can't do that. They also have a big arrow in their quiver in the form of Nokia. No manufacturer has more experience making devices for emerging markets, and those emerging markets will be the difference between third place and not.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
There's a big reason why Mozilla can't win: Microsoft will spend whatever is necessary... They also have a big arrow in their quiver in the form of Nokia.
You just named two Companies that have failed miserabley in the mobile market. And continue to do so.

No manufacturer has more experience making devices for emerging markets, and those emerging markets will be the difference between third place and not.
Actually there is and that is the manufacturer that is making a FoxOS phone, they are also making a tablet.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
You just named two Companies that have failed miserabley in the mobile market. And continue to do so.

Actually there is and that is the manufacturer that is making a FoxOS phone, they are also making a tablet.

Microsoft with WP is now the number three smartphone OS. Is Microsoft losing money in mobile?

Nokia still has a 14% global market share in mobile (number 2 behind Samsung, ahead of Apple). Miserably failing? Maybe - if you only think in terms of smartphones. That's only half of the mobile market though.

The only way Firefox OS will be successful is if they can convince carriers to make it their OS of choice - which is how they've been pitching the OS in public. Firefox OS may be destined to be the new "feature" phone OS.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft didn't fail miserably. They were, up until the iPhone came out and disrupted the market, one of the platforms with the highest market share and the go to mobile platform. Like many others, they realized that disruption too late to catch the wave immediately.

Nokia was in the same boat. They were enormously successful, until the iPhone came out and disrupted the market. Unlike Microsoft, they had a strategy to fight back, but they moved too slowly to implement their new platform. By the time it was ready the market had already coalesced around others.

There really isn't. Do you want to know why Nokia lasted for so long? Because they were the biggest manufacturer in developing markets. They are the most experienced at building devices that can hit low price points but still offer a ton of features without sacrificing build quality and durability. There's a reason Microsoft chose Nokia as their closest business partner.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

codehut

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Isn't Firefox OS only being targeted at very low end devices at the moment?

Having said that, I think it definitely does have potential.

Posted via Android Central App

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
To be clear I'm talking about smartphones. I don't know why features phone are even brought up all of these os are targeted for only smartphones.

Microsoft with WP is now the number three smartphone OS. Is Microsoft losing money in mobile?
Are you seriously calling this a feat. They went from having 28% to 1% and are now at 3%. And the only reason they overtook BB is because BB went into hiatus for a year. We'll see what the number are at the end if this year mon that BB has several flagship phones.

Nokia still has a 14% global market share in mobile (number 2 behind Samsung, ahead of Apple). Miserably failing? Maybe - if you only think in terms of smartphones. That's only half of the mobile market though.
Yes they went from 70% (all phones) 80%(smartphones) to 14%/3%. Is that your definition of successful... still going strong?

Microsoft didn't fail miserably. They were, up until the iPhone came out and disrupted the market,

Nokia was in the same boat. They were enormously successful, until the iPhone came out and disrupted the market.

Unlike Microsoft, they had a strategy to fight back, but they moved too slowly to implement their new platform. By the time it was ready the market had already coalesced around others.
When you are debating with someone the tactic is to provide arguments that booster your points. Here you are only making my statement even more valid, please reread your post and tell me how that is not failing miserabley.

Look at the Android/Apple battle. Android disrupted the market just like Apple did, but Apple instead of sitting on their laurels reacted and continues to react.

There really isn't. Do you want to know why Nokia lasted for so long?
Yes because they had boat loads of cash reserves. Because they are a company too big to fail in Finnland.

A large company does not just disappear overnight.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know, Firefox OS isn't as cheap as it could be. The price on the 1st device starts at 120$ before taxes.

And at that price, they'll be competing in that emerging market space - where Nokia is still relatively strong.