Why is Samsung so successful?

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I've read many comments under the galaxy S4 articles that suggest that the galaxy line is more successful than the Nexus line because of features such as touchwiz over AOSP. My question to you is: If Samsung replaced touchwiz with AOSP would they receive roughly the same amount of sales? In other words does the general consumer consider touchwiz a plus over AOSP or even know the difference? My opinion on why the galaxy line is so successful over the nexus line primarily due to Samsung being a MARKETING GIANT. Another question. If the nexus 4 received the same exact marketing treatment as the galaxy line would it also have similar sales numbers?

SamsungGalaxySII

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why is Samsung so succesful?

Basically, the result of Android + Samsung's hardware brought succese to Samsung.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

But what makes Samsung's hardware any special compared HTC, Sony, LG? In fact evidence points to HTC making the best displays and build quality. I still stand by the fact that marketing is what makes Samsung phones as popular as they currently are.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Samsung does not have the best materials. They do however, produce good products with a lot of innovative (often gimmicky) features. They also know how to use their brains with marketing. They don't release 50 phones with the same name every year and claim it's a new flagship. They stick with a flagship name and build up is reputation. Personally, I want a Samsung feature device with HTC build quality and Motorola radios.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

In my opinion, Samsung is so successful because their name is everywhere-televisions, microwaves, and many other electronics. HOWEVER, their phone sales are so successful because they made/make low to high-end phones. Basically, anyone can own a piece of Samsung. And since they have a similar look throughout, the basic consumer assumes that's how any Android is supposed to look.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site

Samsung is successful because they make solid products, do a damn good job of marketing and advertising, and push their agreements with carriers heavily. Also, they gained a lot of points in the Android community when they became Apple's number one target. They promoted Android early and often, and it paid off.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

h0ruza#AC

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

Marketing, assimilation and brand recognition.

It's really that simple. They spend on ads, lots of ads and they make so many things from ship's to air conditioning units. In there phones they spec them so nothing is missing and design them based on proven successful devices (mostly other manufacturers designs).

Has everyone forgotten the dumb phone days. Brand loyalty was king but no one brand was perfect and users would live with imperfections. Touch wiz is no different and I think Samsung banks on this.

Hardware wise my S2 was amazing and still is, my S3 kicks ass as well but for Samsung simply creating fast phones isn't enough. They copy without shame and make sales while they can getting their name in the press and on the news sells more phones because people want to see if there is an alternative to expensive apple products. Right now you can go to any big city in the UK and find a samsung stall with Samsung devices being demonstrated right in the middle of the busiest shopping centres.

Its being relentless and having a flagship that you can't complain about too much.

I've seen the odd nexus TV ad online... That's it plus Google is know as a search engine they don't make sexy fridges and microwave ovens do they?

Julie Bonnet

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

2013 will be the year of Samsung...
It is the world's largest tech company by revenue, and in 2012 it became the world's leading smartphone maker.
Samsung is willing to try anything, actually, it's willing to try everything. As long as its devices meet a minimum level of quality?and in general, its products are very good?and it manages to kill the failures and push the successes with great marketing, Samsung is sure to keep its place at the top of a roiling tech business.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

Marketing, marketing, marketing.

Sure, they make a good product, but their marketing efforts are far more impressive.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

I've read many comments under the galaxy S4 articles that suggest that the galaxy line is more successful than the Nexus line because of features such as touchwiz over AOSP. My question to you is: If Samsung replaced touchwiz with AOSP would they receive roughly the same amount of sales? In other words does the general consumer consider touchwiz a plus over AOSP or even know the difference? My opinion on why the galaxy line is so successful over the nexus line primarily due to Samsung being a MARKETING GIANT. Another question. If the nexus 4 received the same exact marketing treatment as the galaxy line would it also have similar sales numbers?

That reasoning makes no sense.

The reason Samsung sells so many is because you buy the Galaxy S3 at every carrier as well as at Best Buy, Walmart, Radio Shack, Amazon, Target, CostCo, Sam's Club, Staples, etc. On top of that you see commercials for it very often on TV. I see ads all over the DC metro, buses, and the city.

You can buy the Nexus 4 online from the Google Play Store and direct from Tmobile. I've seen one commercial on Youtube for it but never on TV.

Samsung's phones are right in everyone's face. I pull out my Nexus 4 and only a handful of people even know there is such a device on this planet.

ChrisT77

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site

Samsung is very successful because if it's OS Android. That's it! That's my opinion and I guess that is basically the reason they are successfull

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

They are successful because they are simply making the best phones.
Best features, and if they used plain android they would still succeed if they could have put the same features into it

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

anon(226560)

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Marketing. Clear and simple. I asked many of my non-techie friends why out of all other Android phones they want a GS3 and they're responses summed up to marketing. They couldn't even name any other Android phone off the top of their head yet could tell me so much about GS3's "gimmicks" commercial and have cool those features are. My sister was dead set on getting a GS3 and does she use half of those gimmicks? Nope.

It's the same reason iPhones are so well know. Samsung commercials are everywhere: movie theatres, buses, billboards, tv, radio, internet, etc. Who the hell knows about the Xperia T, HTC One X, Motorola Razr HD? I have found that outside of tech people no one really knows of their existence.

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

They are successful because they are simply making the best phones.
Best features, and if they used plain android they would still succeed if they could have put the same features into it

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the Galaxy S3 unfortunately on T-Mobile
I could say my Nexus 4 or the htc one x is a better phone than the s3 . Nexus 4 has a quad core krait while the s3 has a dual core krait and the nexus 4 has a non pentile hd screen while the s3 has a pentile screen. I don't think they make the best phones. At the very least it isn't as clear cut as the way you put it. Marketing is clearly the logical explanation on why Samsung is at the top.

fchowd0311

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Samsung software and design of the s3 and g2. They had to pretty up android.

The g2 was pre android 4.0 so I can understand the reasoning behind "prettying" up android. However the s3 was post 4.0 and very few would say Samsung's "nature ux" is better looking than ICS/Jellybean. Touch wiz botched the design of Android's holo theme for a cartoony over saturated mess.