Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx

So I just had to upgrade my Alltel Original Moto Droid as Verizon shut it down this week. I really liked my Moto droid and had they not made me upgrade I'd have kept it for 4 more years anyway.
    I don't hack or unlock my phones, and my droid has run perfectly for it's entire life. Since I had to order a new Verizon device I fluctuated between the Droid Razr Maxx HD and the Samsung Galaxy S3. The Droid Razr Maxx HD arrives tomorrow. But now I wonder if I chose wisely? Phone pre-requisites for me are... Reception, Battery life, Gps and Camera. I'm always out in the boonies and reception is spotty with most phones, but My Droid was better than everything else that showed up in camp. I'm not a heavy or hard user on the battery but if it won't run 24 hours doing whatever I'm doing then it's just not any good. Gps wise I use some standalone GPS apps and my droid mostly replaced my Garmin handheld while hunting or fishing to mark my waypoints and routes. My droid had a 5 megapixel camera and took Awesome pictures for a phone but the Droid Razr Maxx HD with it's 8 megapixel camera gets lousy reviews, but really are they that terrible?

So my question is for users did I really make a wise choice with the Droid Razr Maxx HD or should I have gotten the Samsung galaxy S3? Thanks for the input...

Default Re: Motorola Droid Razr HD Maxx

I have an S3 and my BF has a 3G Razr. I think making the Razr a little thicker with a bigger battery makes sense but again I'm not sure why they chose the Razr name for the phone. I guess the intention is to market everything with a keyboard as "Droid" and everything without as "Razr"?

I guess the name makes sense when you consider the first Razr flip phones were 13 to 15 mm folded and the current phones are just 8.4 and 9.3 mm.

The S3 is a solid phone and this Razr update makes it mostly the same on paper. I doubt the Razr HD will see kind volume sales the S3 had in part because I think a lot of people who were sitting on contracts that were up already pulled the trigger on the S3 or iPhone 5.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Anyone able to compare the GPS performance in the boonies? Also Any Idea's where to get a waterproof case like the Otterbox Armor series for the Droid Razr Maxx HD?

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

If you're not a heavy user, I'd suggest the Droid Razr HD as opposed to the Droid Razr Maxx HD. The Razr HD still has an excellent battery but is cheaper and slightly thinner. That's the only difference between the two. Also, out of curiosity, why not the Droid DNA?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Droid DNA, Didn't see that one. How's it compare to the other two I've asked about?

I went through the same questions you're dealing with in regards to GS3 vs. RMHD when I replaced my Droid 2. I went with the RMHD for battery, radio, and build quality. S3 has a better camera and slightly better screen. S3's size is slightly bigger, but feels plasticky, and lightweight. I love the hand feel of the RMHD, and since you are coming from a Droid I think you will love it too.

I know the radio is better in the RMHD, I presume that would carry over to it having a better GPS, but I'm not sure. I'm sure you would enjoy the same superior call reception out in the boonies with the RMHD that you did with your Droid.

The battery in the Maxx HD is the best available, end of story. Someone else suggested just getting the RAZR HD, not the Maxx--no, don't do that, get the humongous battery. You will be able to go 24 hours with the RMHD with ease. It's not just the battery--The Maxx HD also gets you 32 GB internal memory vs. 16 GB for the regular RAZR.

Camera is only OK vs. S3 but it's way better than the camera in my old D2. It takes excellent shots with adequate lighting. In low light you have to tweak the exposure or go to flash. This camera really needs image stabilization, you need a steady hand at times to avoid blurry shots. My workaround is to assign the volume rocker as the shutter (rather than tapping the shutter on screen) and going with two hands holding the phone. HDR camera mode takes great shots, I've been using that a lot lately and am quite pleased. I think image stabilization is invoked in HDR mode. Also, Jelly Bean 4.2 is supposed to have camera improvements. Bottom line is if you thought your Droid took great shots you will love the Maxx HD.

As you've described your needs I'd say you made the right decision with the Maxx HD over the S3.

Sent from my Razr Maxx HD

Quote Originally Posted by azwizard View Post
    Droid DNA, Didn't see that one. How's it compare to the other two I've asked about?
    It's getting good reviews but I'm sure it's battery would not fit your 24 hour criteria.

Tests have it going 6 2/3 hours screen time vs. over 9 hours with RAZR Maxx.

Sent from my Razr Maxx HD

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

I get more than 9 hours screen time out of my RMHD. I don't look at it often, but a couple days ago, I had over 26 hours off the charger with over 11 hours of screen time and my battery was still at 26%. I routinely get 26-28 hours of what I consider to be fairly heavy use (i.e. games, email, Facebook, streaming music over Bluetooth, etc.).

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

My wife also has an RMHD and she can easily go two days without charging, but she doesn't use hers nearly as much as I use mine.

Quote Originally Posted by pihutch View Post
    I get more than 9 hours screen time out of my RMHD. I don't look at it often, but a couple days ago, I had over 26 hours off the charger with over 11 hours of screen time and my battery was still at 26%. I routinely get 26-28 hours of what I consider to be fairly heavy use (i.e. games, email, Facebook, streaming music over Bluetooth, etc.).
    On NFL championship Sunday I started with a fully charged Maxx HD. I then played games, texted, watched YouTube, surfed internet, emailed etc. pretty much constantly from noon until I went to bed around 11:00 pm. I had 7 1/2 hours of screen time and I still had 24% left in battery power.